C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu


Andreas Stuben
 

Hello group;
My SM is losing a little bit of oil from the C Drive every week.  I can see occasionally the expected oil film on the water which obviously isn't good.  Water does not seem to enter the drive, oil looks clean and has not creamy foam.  I did email Amel in France about the 3 seals and bushing.  The responds after 10 days was "send us pictures of the parts" and I think there got to be a better solution.  I can't really haul out, remove the seals and wait a month or 2 on the hard until the new seals arrive.  That sounds pretty expensive.  Specially since this is a waer part that requires replacement on regular intervals.

Does anyone know the part numbers I need?  I bought frequently seals and bearings from 3rd party suppliers before but I like to stick to the Amel / OEM parts for this. The seals are really the least expensive thing here, the haul out and related stuff is where the money will go anyway.  I believe I need 3 seals plus a bushing.  I would prefer to order that to my US address.  

 #078 with hull number 0030017SM78 build in 1992
Looks like the cast iron version C Drive



I can order the parts in the US and look for a yard in Tahiti for the install.  Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
Michael Andreas - Maya SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Michael, seal are seals and available at any engineering supply company. However when you change the seals you also need to replace the wearing bushing available from Amel. I did once get one turned by a local engineer for about the same price as Amel and it was fine.
Kind regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 11:49 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:


Hello group;
My SM is losing a little bit of oil from the C Drive every week.  I can see occasionally the expected oil film on the water which obviously isn't good.  Water does not seem to enter the drive, oil looks clean and has not creamy foam.  I did email Amel in France about the 3 seals and bushing.  The responds after 10 days was "send us pictures of the parts" and I think there got to be a better solution.  I can't really haul out, remove the seals and wait a month or 2 on the hard until the new seals arrive.  That sounds pretty expensive.  Specially since this is a waer part that requires replacement on regular intervals.

Does anyone know the part numbers I need?  I bought frequently seals and bearings from 3rd party suppliers before but I like to stick to the Amel / OEM parts for this. The seals are really the least expensive thing here, the haul out and related stuff is where the money will go anyway.  I believe I need 3 seals plus a bushing.  I would prefer to order that to my US address.  

 #078 with hull number 0030017SM78 build in 1992
Looks like the cast iron version C Drive



I can order the parts in the US and look for a yard in Tahiti for the install.  Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
Michael Andreas - Maya SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Eric Freedman
 

Hi Michael,

You just must ask for the wearing out bearing and the 3 lip seals for the “C” drive.

They will know what you are looking for. Are you using Gear oil or 15- 40 oil?

 

If the oil is not milky then I would not worry. Just keep adding Gear oil until you can change the seals and bearing.

I do it every other year when I haul Kimberlite for a paint job.

The seals and bearing are shown in the photo above just forward of the prop.

 

I would suggest ordering anything else you might need in the future as the FedEx is costly.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:06 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io; Michael Stuben <stuben@...>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu

 

Hi Michael, seal are seals and available at any engineering supply company. However when you change the seals you also need to replace the wearing bushing available from Amel. I did once get one turned by a local engineer for about the same price as Amel and it was fine.
Kind regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 11:49 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:

 

 

Hello group;
My SM is losing a little bit of oil from the C Drive every week.  I can see occasionally the expected oil film on the water which obviously isn't good.  Water does not seem to enter the drive, oil looks clean and has not creamy foam.  I did email Amel in France about the 3 seals and bushing.  The responds after 10 days was "send us pictures of the parts" and I think there got to be a better solution.  I can't really haul out, remove the seals and wait a month or 2 on the hard until the new seals arrive.  That sounds pretty expensive.  Specially since this is a waer part that requires replacement on regular intervals.

Does anyone know the part numbers I need?  I bought frequently seals and bearings from 3rd party suppliers before but I like to stick to the Amel / OEM parts for this. The seals are really the least expensive thing here, the haul out and related stuff is where the money will go anyway.  I believe I need 3 seals plus a bushing.  I would prefer to order that to my US address.  

 #078 with hull number 0030017SM78 build in 1992
Looks like the cast iron version C Drive



I can order the parts in the US and look for a yard in Tahiti for the install.  Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
Michael Andreas - Maya SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Andreas Stuben
 
Edited

Does anyone have the actual part numbers of what I need?
I used Eric's picture and circled the seals as reference for Amel.

My boat has a big French decal next to the reservoir of the C Drive.  Someone labeled that later with SAE 85-90 in black permanent marker.  When I bought the boat a jug of GL5 gear oil was included.  
I was about to research what the discrepancy is because i was also reading that some use motor oil and some seem to use gear oil.

--
Michael SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Michael. forgot to say that when ordering any parts from Amel a photo is your best way of ensuring the correct part is dispatched which is why they request it. While our descriptions may seem clear to us they may sow confusion in translation.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 12:33 Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:


Hi Michael,

You just must ask for the wearing out bearing and the 3 lip seals for the “C” drive.

They will know what you are looking for. Are you using Gear oil or 15- 40 oil?

 

If the oil is not milky then I would not worry. Just keep adding Gear oil until you can change the seals and bearing.

I do it every other year when I haul Kimberlite for a paint job.

The seals and bearing are shown in the photo above just forward of the prop.

 

I would suggest ordering anything else you might need in the future as the FedEx is costly.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376


 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:06 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io; Michael Stuben <stuben@...>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu


Hi Michael, seal are seals and available at any engineering supply company. However when you change the seals you also need to replace the wearing bushing available from Amel. I did once get one turned by a local engineer for about the same price as Amel and it was fine.
Kind regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 11:49 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:



Hello group;
My SM is losing a little bit of oil from the C Drive every week.  I can see occasionally the expected oil film on the water which obviously isn't good.  Water does not seem to enter the drive, oil looks clean and has not creamy foam.  I did email Amel in France about the 3 seals and bushing.  The responds after 10 days was "send us pictures of the parts" and I think there got to be a better solution.  I can't really haul out, remove the seals and wait a month or 2 on the hard until the new seals arrive.  That sounds pretty expensive.  Specially since this is a waer part that requires replacement on regular intervals.

Does anyone know the part numbers I need?  I bought frequently seals and bearings from 3rd party suppliers before but I like to stick to the Amel / OEM parts for this. The seals are really the least expensive thing here, the haul out and related stuff is where the money will go anyway.  I believe I need 3 seals plus a bushing.  I would prefer to order that to my US address.  

 #078 with hull number 0030017SM78 build in 1992
Looks like the cast iron version C Drive



I can order the parts in the US and look for a yard in Tahiti for the install.  Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
Michael Andreas - Maya SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia



Eric Freedman
 

Ps,

Amel usually has the bearing and seals in stock and arrive in the USA in 3 days after ordering.

The install of the bearing and seals is very simple and has been written up many times

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Eric Freedman via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:34 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu

 

Hi Michael,

You just must ask for the wearing out bearing and the 3 lip seals for the “C” drive.

They will know what you are looking for. Are you using Gear oil or 15- 40 oil?

 

If the oil is not milky then I would not worry. Just keep adding Gear oil until you can change the seals and bearing.

I do it every other year when I haul Kimberlite for a paint job.

The seals and bearing are shown in the photo above just forward of the prop.

 

I would suggest ordering anything else you might need in the future as the FedEx is costly.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:06 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io; Michael Stuben <stuben@...>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu

 

Hi Michael, seal are seals and available at any engineering supply company. However when you change the seals you also need to replace the wearing bushing available from Amel. I did once get one turned by a local engineer for about the same price as Amel and it was fine.
Kind regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 11:49 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:

 

 

Hello group;
My SM is losing a little bit of oil from the C Drive every week.  I can see occasionally the expected oil film on the water which obviously isn't good.  Water does not seem to enter the drive, oil looks clean and has not creamy foam.  I did email Amel in France about the 3 seals and bushing.  The responds after 10 days was "send us pictures of the parts" and I think there got to be a better solution.  I can't really haul out, remove the seals and wait a month or 2 on the hard until the new seals arrive.  That sounds pretty expensive.  Specially since this is a waer part that requires replacement on regular intervals.

Does anyone know the part numbers I need?  I bought frequently seals and bearings from 3rd party suppliers before but I like to stick to the Amel / OEM parts for this. The seals are really the least expensive thing here, the haul out and related stuff is where the money will go anyway.  I believe I need 3 seals plus a bushing.  I would prefer to order that to my US address.  

 #078 with hull number 0030017SM78 build in 1992
Looks like the cast iron version C Drive



I can order the parts in the US and look for a yard in Tahiti for the install.  Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
Michael Andreas - Maya SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Michael
the wearing bushing doesnt have a part number. The seals have their dimensions around its outer face. I can get those numbers for you next time I am on the boat but if you are getting the wearing bush from Amel they will provide the correct seals

Kind Regards
Danny  SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 22/06/2022 12:43 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

Does anyone have the actual part numbers of what I need?

On my boat is a decal next to the reservoir of the C Drive.  That is labeled with SEA 85-90.  When I bought the boat a jug of GL5 gear oil was included.  
I was about to research what the discrepancy is because i was also reading that some use motor oil and some seem to use gear oil.
--
Michael SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)
 

Hi Team,

The three seals are 45x65x8 double lip seals as supplied by Amel.

The bronze wearing out bushing is custom. Most prop shafts and therefore inner diameter of the bronze bushing are 40mm, mine is 35mm. The outer diameter, where the shaft seals ride, is 45mm.

The o-ring inside the bushing is generic (mine is nitrile/buna 2x35mm). Most are 40mm in diameter to match the 40mm prop shaft.

Regarding oil type, I can share what was told to me directly by Amel in November 2021:
"The recommended oil for the C-drive is 15W40 and you need 8 liters. It is not recommended to use a thicker oil on this system. It is true that there are some confusing discussions about this issue especially on the different social networks."

My C-drive is the older aluminum style unit, which is different from the one in the original photo of this thread and the majority of Amel C-drives out there (which are iron).

When in doubt, ask sav@... directly. Share photos of the parts. Be polite and say something pleasant before starting into your questions and parts requests.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ


On Wed, Jun 22, 2022, 1:01 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:
Michael
the wearing bushing doesnt have a part number. The seals have their dimensions around its outer face. I can get those numbers for you next time I am on the boat but if you are getting the wearing bush from Amel they will provide the correct seals

Kind Regards
Danny  SM 299 Ocean Pearl
On 22/06/2022 12:43 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

Does anyone have the actual part numbers of what I need?

On my boat is a decal next to the reservoir of the C Drive.  That is labeled with SEA 85-90.  When I bought the boat a jug of GL5 gear oil was included.  
I was about to research what the discrepancy is because i was also reading that some use motor oil and some seem to use gear oil.
--
Michael SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia


Robert Nilsen
 

Hi. 
Here is the refnumbers that SAV amel uses for theese parts. I ordered these for S/Y Silfrania  SM#53

As per your list of parts needed here is

-          What we can supply from our stock :

1 prop shaft bushing ( ref 2072, unit price : 149.80€ )+ 3 oil seals (ref 1422, 6.00€ per unit).

Best regards
Robert


Andreas Stuben
 

Hello all - thank you for all the great information.  Since it seems that 2 different prop shafts exist I will need to go for a dive next week to see if mine is 35mm or 40mm.  
--
Michael Andreas SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia
www.svmaya.com