C-Drive 'O' ring replacement in a 1990 Santorin 46ft sloop

Robin (Bea) and Diane

According to the previous owner of my recently purchased Amel 1990 Santorin, the C-Drive 'O' rings and bushings need replacing due to a small leak. I assume there is a dip-stick to check oil levels and see if the oil is milky.  But due to covid restrictions we are unable to return to the vessel and were wondering if salt water will get into the gearbox and cause any rust or damage in the mean time. Hoping someone out there could enlighten me with my concerns. Cheers from Robin and Diane

JOHN HAYES

Hi Robin

My boat the same as yours but 1991. There is no dipstick that I’m aware of but we have an oil reservoir under the gunnel above the c drive   It is supposed to be about 2/3 full. Being clear plastic you can see the oil colour

On the c drive and under the propellor is a drain nut. We replace the c drive oil every time we slip

Suppose it depends where you are but in NZ it was simple to replace the seals with stock items available commercially

It’s an ingenious and simple set up

Best
John Hayes

Nga Waka
Wellington

On 3/09/2021, at 1:33 PM, Robin (Bea) and Diane via groups.io <bndsorti@...> wrote:

According to the previous owner of my recently purchased Amel 1990 Santorin, the C-Drive 'O' rings and bushings need replacing due to a small leak. I assume there is a dip-stick to check oil levels and see if the oil is milky.  But due to covid restrictions we are unable to return to the vessel and were wondering if salt water will get into the gearbox and cause any rust or damage in the mean time. Hoping someone out there could enlighten me with my concerns. Cheers from Robin and Diane

Ian Park

Diane
As John says the engine room is where you re-fill the C Drive oil. Early in my ownership of my Santorin it went milky and this was obvious when you looked at this oil reservoir/filler. I was worried about any damage but was reassured by Amel in Martinique who I watched replacing the oil and seals for me. I have done this job myself since then and it is quite straightforward. Look on the Amel Owners site where there are excellent photos and descriptions are of the process.
The gears won’t rust as there is no air in the gearbox. Although you can get the seals for the shaft anywhere that does seals the bushing is a specific Amel part which they always have in stock. If you order the whole service kit from them it also guarantees that the springs in the seals will be stainless and not steel. I would order 2 sets so you always have a set ready for the next service. It is a two year service cycle, but as John says just changing the oil if you haul out between servicing is a good idea.

Ian. ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN 96. UK

PS. If you’re boat doesn’t have a spare bow thruster propeller, get one !!
Oh, and read up on changing the oil in the bow thruster. It’s very easy if you do it regularly, but if it’s been neglected some past of the connecting parts can seize and prove challenging to separate.