C-drive seals

Jose Alegria

Enviado do meu iPad

Início da mensagem reencaminhada:

De: Jose Alegria <josealegr@...>
Data: 22 de agosto de 2021, 14:18:38 EEST
Para: "Grupo Amel main@amelyachtowners.groups.io" <main@...>
Assunto: C-drive seals

Dear amelians

The Amel customer service is currently not able to ship spare parts.
Any suggestions   to find the correct seals out of Amel?
Anyone know any video with the right procedure?

Thank you

Jose Alegria
Amel55 #03-MERIT
+351918663037
Josealegr@...

  Jose,

I understand that there are two different C-Drives on the Amel 55. The early 55's had the same size propeller shaft as the 54 and SM. Latter models were increased in size, from 38mm to 50mm. I was told that the change occurred at hull #43, but have never verified this. So, although the procedure for 38mm and 50mm is basically the same, the seals and wear bushing are different. Also, it is my understanding that when Amel increased to 50mm, they included a pulling tool for the wear bushing.
image.png
If you have the 38mm size, the seals are listed on Amel's invoice for parts as:
[1422] JOINT SPI 45 x 65 x 8 POUR BAGUE D'USURE / LIP SEAL FOR BRUSHING SHAFT

You will need a wear bushing from Amel. I do not recommend the fabrication of one of these by a machine shop.
[2072] BAGUE D'USURE ARBRE Ø 40 ALESAGE +0.05 SN SMU A54 A55 / BRUSHING SHAFT **

I will send you the procedure in a separate email from my Amel Book. Follow it precisely because the following are the common reasons that seawater will leak into the C-Drive after changing the wear bushing and seals:
1.) Seals and/or wear bushings NOT purchased from Amel.
2.) The wall of the seal cavity NOT completely cleaned with emery cloth.
3.) The seals NOT oriented according to Amel specs.
4.) The seals NOT inserted the correct depth.
5.) The seals NOT completely greased with waterproof grease
6.) The wear bushing O ring NOT greased and/or not the correct size
7.) The propeller shaft NOT completely cleaned where the wear bushing O ring meets the shaft.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar