Topics

Cable feed into Main and Mizzen masts on a A54

Arno Luijten

Dear forum,

Does anyone have drawings, pictures or other information on how the cables are routed into the mizzen and main masts of a A54 and how to access the cables for the mizzen? One of the things I'm still wondering is where the antenna cable from the triatic stay is going to.
I also want to replace some of the other antenna cables as well as the cable for the (quite useless) Immarsat phone for  something more useful.

Thanks in advance,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121
St. Martin

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

You find the mizzen cables behind the master shower lamp.
My Mizzen to Mainmast stay antenna wire (triatic??) ended there too. So I had to route it from there to the navseat. There is a cable tube going from showerlamp to alley.

The mainmast wires are accesseble above the forward alley door.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 09:34 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Dear forum,

Does anyone have drawings, pictures or other information on how the cables are routed into the mizzen and main masts of a A54 and how to access the cables for the mizzen? One of the things I'm still wondering is where the antenna cable from the triatic stay is going to.
I also want to replace some of the other antenna cables as well as the cable for the (quite useless) Immarsat phone for  something more useful.

Thanks in advance,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121
St. Martin

Teun BAAS

Hi Oliver,

Do I understand from below message that on the A54 the triactic antenna wire/connection dead ends behind the MC shower lamp?  So coming from AMEL Yard on delivery this is not connected at all and serves no purpose?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 29, 2020 11:21:34

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

[...]

Yes the antenna wire did blind end behind the master shower lamp. The Antenna was not used with the original Furuno SSB Radio.
When I installed my ICOM IC-802 I needed to extend and route the antenna wire to the navseat.

That was on my boat that way build #39.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 14:22 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Oliver for reply.

So in that case can I assume that when AMEL yard delivered my boat with the ICOM IC-802 installed this antenna was OEM connected?

Best Regards Teun

April 29, 2020 11:49:55

[...]

Not pretending to know anything about SSB, I was told the triatic stay is not very suitable for SSB transmissions due to its orientation.

Does anyone know where the antenna for the AM/FM radio lives?

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Let me tell you what I know.

Amel installed insulators on the Triadic Stay so that the stay wire could be used as a Weather Fax Antenna. As far as I know, every SM and 54 had this "antenna." The coax wire terminates behind the Nav Station on an SM in a loop of extra cable and in a 54, behind the shower light fixture, unless, of course, if the first owner of the SM or 54 had Amel install a Weather Fax.

In my experience, the AM/FM antenna is on the main mast top on every "unchanged" SM and 54. It is a PVC VHF-like antenna, and in fact, when I installed an AIS transceiver and needed an antenna, I used the AM/FM radio antenna and substituted a rubber car antenna which I mounted behind the nav station cabinet. Of course, I had to change the connection plug to use the cable for my AIS.

I hope this helps.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Not pretending to know anything about SSB, I was told the triatic stay is not very suitable for SSB transmissions due to its orientation.

Does anyone know where the antenna for the AM/FM radio lives?

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Teun BAAS

Now I think about it on AMELIT the SSB was connected to a special SSB antenna on the stern which broke off.  Getting a new antenna from AMEL was difficult/impossible & another AMEL owner and I decided to use the starboard MIZZEN backstay.

So the triactic was definitely not used by AMEL yard for the SSB.

That leaves the question if there is indeed on an A54 a triatic aerial connection at the foot of the MIZZEN where is it for?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 29, 2020 13:06:59

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

Not pretending to know anything about SSB, I was told the triatic stay is not very suitable for SSB transmissions due to its orientation.

Does anyone know where the antenna for the AM/FM radio lives?

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Teun BAAS

All clear; makes sense as AMELIT does have Weather Fax.

Thanks.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 29, 2020 13:10:36

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

[...]

Yeah, Luna has the weatherfax as well. So I'm guessing there is a antenna cable between the nav-station and the mizzen mast. Although the reception of this thing seems quite sketchy. The pictures I get from it are very hard to make sense of.

REgarfds

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,
The triatic stay is used by the SSB ICOM M802 radio to receive DSC emergency trafic. Its only receiving on this antenna.

The M802 needs 2 antennas. For regular transmissions it uses a backstay or the whip antenna.

If you do not connect the second antenna you will not hear "nearby" stations in distress.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 16:35 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Yeah, Luna has the weatherfax as well. So I'm guessing there is a antenna cable between the nav-station and the mizzen mast. Although the reception of this thing seems quite sketchy. The pictures I get from it are very hard to make sense of.

REgarfds

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Oliver, I don't think you are right. I have had the 802 for years and it does not need two aerials and the triactic is not intended for this purpose.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 April 2020 at 10:49 "Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica" <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hello,
The triatic stay is used by the SSB ICOM M802 radio to receive DSC emergency trafic. Its only receiving on this antenna.

The M802 needs 2 antennas. For regular transmissions it uses a backstay or the whip antenna.

If you do not connect the second antenna you will not hear "nearby" stations in distress.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 16:35 Arno Luijten < arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Yeah, Luna has the weatherfax as well. So I'm guessing there is a antenna cable between the nav-station and the mizzen mast. Although the reception of this thing seems quite sketchy. The pictures I get from it are very hard to make sense of.

REgarfds

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Sv Garulfo

Hi,

I would need to double check but I would agree with Oliver re the triactic used as an SSB ASN receiver. At least the marking on the cables behind the shower light on Garulfo suggests that. And the fax receiver has its own specific antenna at the mizzen top. I think this is original Pochon work on behalf of Amel, circa 2009.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahuata, French Polynesia

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 13:53, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

It is possible to use the ICOM M-802 only with its one tranceiver antenna BUT without its second antenna the emergency DSC trafic does not work.

The radio needs its two antennas for full emergency operation!

We use a backstay antenna via the antenna tuner
AND
On the second antenna plug the triatic.
It is also possible to use smaller active aerials for the second receiver.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 21:25 Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:
[...]

Thomas,

I'm pretty sure the antenna on top of the mizzen is for the AIS transceiver. A dedicated AIS antenna should not live next to a VHF antenna and ideally should be in a different horizontal plane.

Regards,

Armo
SV Luna,
A54-121

Alan Leslie

This is from technical support at ICOM in the USA :

In order for DSC to work with the M-802, you must have the DSC-receive antenna connected. This is the only way that the radio will be able to receive DSC signals since it is a class D DSC radio. You can use a Metz weatherfax antenna or any SSB whip antenna to connect to the receive port. Without the antenna, you will still be able to transmit a distress call, however, the radio will never hear an acknowledgement nor would you be able to hear someone else in distress and come to their aid. Hope this will help.

Elyse had an insulated triatic stay and a Furuno weatherfax when we bought her. The Furuno weatherfax was marginally better than useless, so we took it out.We installed an ICOM 710 SSB radio and had the main back stay insulated to use as an antenna. When Elyse was re-rigged in 2016 we had a plain triatic stay installed.The insulated triatic stay is only any good for receiving and it was initially installed purely for a dedicated weatherfax.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Sv Garulfo

Hi Arno,

Agreed, on Garulfo there is a VHF-like antenna for the AIS transceiver on top of the mizzen, but there is also a smaller fatter antenna for (IIRC) the fax receiver.

I’ll take pictures next time I go up there

Cheers

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122