Topics

Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi all;

We are in the process of selecting a new tender. We are considering the Highfield CL310 or CL340. I would appreciate input on the following issues:

  1. Opinions on the Highfield line of tenders. Good or bad.
  2. The CL310 seems to be a bit short and the bow may not sit firmly on the Davit when pulled up. The CL340 works great but will be wider the transom creating issues in tight docking quarters. What is the shortest length used by A54 owners with success?
  3. Can some one provide a measurement from the back of the mizzenmast to the mizzen traveler? I’d like to see which tender would fit on the aft sundeck.
  4. Opinions on carrying the tender deflated, pulled up and firmly lashed to the Davits during crossings? I’m concerned about following seas and waves hitting the tender and placing a substantial force on the Davits.
  5. PVC or Hypalon? There is about a 2000 Euro upcharge for Hypalon.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Arno Luijten

Although I don't have davits I can say that a 3.10 meter dingy fits nicely on the aft coach-roof assuming you cover the shower-hatch.. My guess is that 3.40 meter would be very tight.
Typically we keep it on the aft coach-roof and also deflated. Ours has a polyester bottom (a very simple PVC model from Plastimo). In the marina where we typically are we move the dingy a bit aft to clear the shower hatch. It then interferes with the mizzen-traveller, but in the marina there is obviously now issue with that. It also limits the opening of the aft locker in that position, we need to secure it to stay open.

PVC/Hypalon. From what I saw the price-difference is not that big. but is has been a while since I looked. If you want to keep the dingy for several years in the tropics and use it intensively, there is only the choice for Hypalon, unless you make/buy tube covers. Here in the Caribbean you see almost exclusively Hypalon apart from a poor guy on an Amel 54 ;-)

Cheers,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Mohammed

1. No opinion

2. We have an AB 9.5 UL and it is sufficient. Has the big sausages and it’s dry and very quick. Good for long distance shopping if anchored remotely.

3 IMO. The best ob is the 2 stroke Yamaha Enduro 15 HP. More torque, more top speed and being 2 str, even my female weakling can start it. Not so with my previous Honda vibrator 5 hp 4 str.

4. Hypalon should be your only choice; the sun will kill the other one very quickly

Come join us in the Pacific. :-)

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, Marsden Cove, NZ

On 17/02/2020, at 3:33 PM, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

[...]

tony wells

Hi Mohammad

I was originally seeking to buy a Highfield 310 Hypalon. However, I bought the 290 in PVC.

The bow shape of the latest models has been ‘squared’ off, so I figured the useable space/seating of the 290 was equivalent to the previous 310 and I didn’t need any more volume than that, plus the 290 will fit even more comfortably on the coachroof. Incidentally, the lifting points (ie for davit use) seem exactly the same distance apart in the latest 290 and 310 models despite the different LOA of the models.

The dealer convinced me the latest generation PVC from Highfield meant that the price difference for Hypalon was out of the question. And whilst Hypalon undoubtedly performs better in UV, I also read that PVC welding is superior to glued Hypalon seams? Finally, I was told that Hypalon marks more easily than PVC - note, all anecdotal info, others will have first hand experience! I would probably have still bought Hypalon if it hadn’t been something like 70% more expensive!

The price of the latest model Highfield Classic 290 in light grey inc tax was only 2,700 Euros so it was an easy decision. Mecca Marine, Malta (Nichol on Whatsapp +35679732783).

Hope useful,

Tony
A54 #102 Balthazar
Manoel Island, Malta

On 17 Feb 2020, at 00:54, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter Forbes

Dear Mohammad,

I have Highfiled PVC and it has lasted well for 5 years and still going strong. I think it is a 270 and takes a 6 HP Yamaha and fine inflated on the back deck for ocean crossings. It holds 4 adults and some kit. It is also light enough to hoist on my aft solar arch for shorter crossings. The Hypalon is, I was told, better but ours lasted for a circumnavigation and is still going well - I guess it will last 10 years. It has a metal lower hull and a front small stowage.

best wishes

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango
AMEL 54 #035
La Rochelle
00447836 209730
07836 209730

[...]

Alan Leslie

Hi Mohammad,

1. We have a Highfield PVC RIB since 2014. Very happy with it.
2/3. We are an SM so a bit shorter.
4. Don't do it, one decent wave from the stern or quarter and the weight of the water that fills the dinghy hull will break something, maybe your dinghy, but maybe the davits too. We stow ours upside down on the aft cabin roof. We have an elasticated Sunbrella cover that was custom made to fit the dinghy and it is held down on the two rails with two wide webbing strap ratchet tie downs. We have not had an issue with that in  15,000 miles of pacific voyaging so far.
5. Ours is PVC and because it is covered a lot of the time we don't see an issue with UV, however, I regularly clean the PVC and protect it with 303 protectant..it still looks like new.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Jamie Wendell

I have always carried my Apex HD (hypalon) 3.1-meter dinghy on the davits during crossing and have never had a problem (always stored the motor separately on the railing). I have custom davits that are very high, so if I get a wave high enough to hit or fill the dinghy I will have far greater concerns......?
Since the Apex is now nearly 8 years old, I have ordered a new (slightly larger) Highfield CL340. This time, I will be keeping the motor on the dinghy.
I have my fingers crossed it will all work out when I get it in May.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Wolfgang Weber

I have the Highfield 310 in Hypalon and Yamaha 15 HP 2-stroke which is far better than my old Zodiac Fastroller 320.
I think a 340 is to big.
It is possible to open the hatch of the shower even if the dinghy is over the hatch. Enough space to use the winches at the mizzenmast.
On passages ( normal sea, not  transocean ) the  dinghy is  fixed  to  Cooneymarine Oval 15Zero davits with dyneema.
On the aftdeck I use a 50 USD Protection from walmart against the sun.
Wolfgang SY ELISE Amel 54 #162

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks Jamie.

Keep in mind that the CL340 (same length as our current Zodiac) is wider than the stern and therefore does create issues when leaving the dock when docked stern to in tight quarters in strong cross winds. As an example, if you have a sail boat of similar or smaller size docked next to you, the bow on the dinghy will be at the same height as the life lines of that boat and as you leave dock, in a strong cross wind, the bow of the dinghy may catch the stanchions of the boat next to you.

This obviously mainly applies to the Med where you mostly dock stern to. However, the advantages of the CL340 seem to far outweigh the downsides and this is where we are leaning.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I have always carried my Apex HD (hypalon) 3.1-meter dinghy on the davits during crossing and have never had a problem (always stored the motor separately on the railing). I have custom davits that are very high, so if I get a wave high enough to hit or fill the dinghy I will have far greater concerns......?
Since the Apex is now nearly 8 years old, I have ordered a new (slightly larger) Highfield CL340. This time, I will be keeping the motor on the dinghy.
I have my fingers crossed it will all work out when I get it in May.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks Wolfgang. The pictures are very helpful.

What is the spacing between your Davits? On our factory installed Davits the lifting points are 210cm apart and I believe the bow of the CL310 will barely catch the Davit.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I have the Highfield 310 in Hypalon and Yamaha 15 HP 2-stroke which is far better than my old Zodiac Fastroller 320.
I think a 340 is to big.
It is possible to open the hatch of the shower even if the dinghy is over the hatch. Enough space to use the winches at the mizzenmast.
On passages ( normal sea, not  transocean ) the  dinghy is  fixed  to  Cooneymarine Oval 15Zero davits with dyneema.
On the aftdeck I use a 50 USD Protection from walmart against the sun.
Wolfgang SY ELISE Amel 54 #162

Teun BAAS

Hi Aty & Mohammad,

I have experimented with several tenders (5 in total over 2 years) including 2 HIGHFIELDS and finally settled on a OCT (Offshore Cruising Tender – made in NEW ZEALAND) 350. Extremely happy with this tender. Very light (48 kg) – lighter than the HIGHFIELD(s); high freeboard – no water coming in at all. Besides fitting on the sundeck for limited time when making a really large crossing I have it in the davits. My main considerations were: A) No water coming in or wet butt when sitting on the side; B) Comfortable ride; C) Easy to handle when beached during low tide etc.

I might see you this week for coffee and we can discuss in detail.

Best Regards Teun

February 17, 2020 07:46:11

[...]

John Clanton <jclanton@...>

Mohammad,

We have had the 340 for two seasons and have been happy with it.

The one drawback when Med mooring is that the gangway can’t be deployed when the tender is on the davits.  When Med mooring, we typically tie up leaving enough room between the stern and the quay to lower the dinghy to the water, then are able to extend the gangway.

John W. Clanton

S/V Devereux

Antibes, France

Joerg Esdorn

Hi Mohammad, I have the CL 340 in Hypalon and it's in good shape after 4 seasons in the Med.  The French dealer in La Rochelle convinced me that Hypalon is the way to go for the Med/Caribbean.   I have the Amel provided davits on the 55 but I have some custom brackets which fixate the dinghy very well - no sliding or other movement whatsoever.  see pics.  For passages, I put on a cover to prevent a wave from filling the dinghy and I've not had any problems.  For offshore passages with a chance of serious gales, like a Transatlantic West to East, however, I would put the dinghy on the aft deck and the engine in the aft locker.   For one, I don't think I could deploy a drogue with the dinghy hanging from the davits.

I hope this helps.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Joerg,

That is an ingenious modification to the Simpson Davits. However, I noticed that the outboard motor is actually "inboard." Can you tell me the model and HP of this motor? Also, I assume that to raise the dinghy and outboard on the davits, you first have to reverse the outboard on the dinghy transom?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 10:31 AM Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill;

I know it appear that the outboard is reversed on the transom. But it is not. Take another look.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Hi Joerg;

Thanks for the photos. Definitely a nice improvement to the Davits. The Davits on the 55 are closer spaced than the 54 and I believe are parallel and not at an angle like the 54. I think you could have carried either the 310 or the 340. I think the 310 on the 54 is problematic.

A few questions, if you don’t mind;

  1. How’s the ride on the CL340 and what size outboard?
  2. Can you plane with 4 people and some gear?
  3. What options would you recommend on the highfield?
  4. What issues, if any, have you had and what would you different?
  5. Do you have enough room between the mizzen and the mizzen traveler to store the 340 on deck or do you lash it to one side?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Hi Mohammad, I have the CL 340 in Hypalon and it's in good shape after 4 seasons in the Med.  The French dealer in La Rochelle convinced me that Hypalon is the way to go for the Med/Caribbean.   I have the Amel provided davits on the 55 but I have some custom brackets which fixate the dinghy very well - no sliding or other movement whatsoever.  see pics.  For passages, I put on a cover to prevent a wave from filling the dinghy and I've not had any problems.  For offshore passages with a chance of serious gales, like a Transatlantic West to East, however, I would put the dinghy on the aft deck and the engine in the aft locker.   For one, I don't think I could deploy a drogue with the dinghy hanging from the davits.

I hope this helps.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Mohammad, yes, I see that now.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:31 PM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

Edited

Mohammad,

1) I have a Highfield CL310 HYP as does Dean. The transom "lip" where the tubes are glued was bent when it arrived. Probably bad packaging. This is not the first time I have heard of this - Highfield fixed it under warranty after a bit of complaining.

2) The CL310 will fit with a bit of modification. Dean described the eye he mounted in the bow locker and I did the same. You will also need to mount some eyes, facing inwards, on the triangular transom supports as far forward as you can. Then place a metal ring halfway between the rings using rope lashing. It fits fine. I have a Suzuki 20AS which does not rotate 90 degrees so it takes a bit of positioning to have it all fit. I then use a line through the built in "eyes" on the dinghy stern floor up to the ring where the davit lines/wires come out of, to secure the dinghy. Don't rely on the lifting wires to hold up the dinghy once underway.  While you're at it, change the davit wires to 12 strand dyneema. You can do it with very little modification - Simpson wanted 4000GBP for a "dyneema conversion kit" and it's simply unnecessary. You can do it yourself if you know how to splice 12 strand dyneema or pay a rigger 100euros.

For the bow, I secure the dinghy using a high quality stainless/aluminum ratchet with one end attached to the eye at the end of the davit arm and the other to a loop secured to the "armpit" of the davits.

The reason why I did not go for the CL340 is two fold:

a) I put the dinghy on the aft deck and the outboard in the lazarette on big passages. Coming around Cape Hatteras and even crossing the Med in fall, I have seen some waves from astern that may have swamped a hanging dinghy. I have also had the dinghy come slightly loose while sailing and while the wasn't a big deal on a day sail or short overnighter, I wouldn't want to deal with it in the middle of an Indian Ocean gale, far offshore. With the CL310 I can position the dinghy upside down on the aft deck and have it NOT protrude into the cockpit nor have it interfere with the mizzen track. It barely fits.  I don't think the CL340 will fit unless you put it diagonally.

b) When it's just me and the misses doing a beach landing, with swell, we are at our limit carrying the CL310 with a 20hp engine. I tried to drag my friend's CL340 up a beach with him (he's 100kg and 195cm tall) and we struggled. In the Med, dinghy docks were aplenty. Less so in some parts of the Caribbean and probably even less so in the South Pacific.

5) I went with Hypalon. I believe I paid 3700 euros total for my CL310 HYP. Not sure where you are but I bought it from a dealer in Slovenia VAT-free. Hypalon was not much more in our case and the cost of chaps was more than the upcharge for hypalon. In the tropics, it was a no brainer for me. I have a PVC backup rollup dinghy and it's faring far worse.

Hope this helps.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Joerg Esdorn

Here are some responses to Mohammad's questions:
1.  I have a Honda 20HP outboard, which is quite heavy (but the same weight as the 15HP).  The boat behaves well with it - no issues.
2.  I can plane with 4 people in it but not too much luggage.  This was my objective.
3.  I don't think I have any options - unless the 2 lockers upfront are an option.  One of them is for the gas tank and the other for the anchor.  Work well.  Maybe it would be nice to have a cleat for the anchor line.
4. No issues.  After 3 years of trying to get the dinghy to stop swinging around and the engine throttle taking the load when sailing on starboard tack (because the dinghy slides over when the boat heels), I now have very little movement.  I also have 5 cm wide belts as tie downs.
5.  Yes, on the 55 the dinghy fits perfectly sideways in front of the traveler and behind the mizzen.

I first saw the rounded dinghy stops on the davits of Fortuna II, Paul Brown's boat.  I modified them to give a few cm more space between the davits and the dinghy because the strops would otherwise have bottomed out against the davits.  If you have different lifting strops, you can have the space reduced which brings the dinghy marginally further up.

I hope this helps.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Mohammad Shirloo

Thank you Joerg. All very useful information.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099