Chain Counter

william reynolds

My chain counter, which was working properly, suddenly ceased to function.
There are no wiring diagrams that I can find. I searched the Amel site and found several hundred threads but no wiring diagrams. I tried to trace the associated wiring but what I found was a plethora of non associated wires.
The wires to the sensor on the  windless were blue, brown and a yellow/green bonding/ground wire. These led to the area in the fwd cabin where the relays for the windlass were and then  disappeared forward never to be seen again.
In the area above the sink, to the left of the steering rack is a box labeled "computer of the chain. There were 2 large black cables with #16 - green, white and black wires within that went to the counter above on the panel. These connected to smaller grey cables at a terminal strip which then disappeared into a large bundle and I ASSUME go the the chain counter box below the nav station. I when I checked the fuse on the box labled "chain computer" all the instruments quit!
The boxes under the nav station were Newmar equipment and labled VHF radio, full time dc to dc (24 to12 volt) and Hydra/chain computer. The wires from the box above the sink terminate here somehow. Anyone have a clue as the schematic or wiring diagram. There is a switch on the "chain comp. box that turns off the chain computer AND all the instruments.  You have to kill all the instruments to work on the windlass. Not good if you are underway.
Any information out there??
Bill Reynolds
Cloudstreet SM2K 331

Thomas Peacock

Hi Bill,

We had a similar problem on SM 240. Using the chain counter would trip the 24V->12V converter under the nav station. I can’t remember the exact wiring diagram, but the wires indeed run from the chain counter back, I’m not sure if they connect to the small box above the galley by the autohelm, or if they connect to the contacts under the joystick in the cockpit. And, indeed, they do draw their power from the converter under the nav station.

Assuming the wires are not shorted themselves, the most iikely culprit is the proximity sensor right by the windlass. Ours was blown, and replacing it fixed the problem. You could try disconnecting the sensor, make sure your converter is working, and then test the voltage by the windlass. If indeed your sensor is bad, you can purchase a new one: IB 5072, made by IFM.  I bought it in the US from Radwell; however, IFM is a German company; if you are in the EU you might be able to buy directly from IFM or a European distributor. There is more chatter from me on this site from May 2019 that may be helpful to you. Good luck!

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes

Thomas Kleman

The only thing I would add is that this is an item that you buy 2 at a time. Put one away with your spares and notes on this project. It will next break when you are in Bora Bora.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
L'ORIENT
Bora Bora, FP