change of ball bearings of traveller cars on our 54

Martin Birkhoff

Hi all,

we fear the balls of the Antal traveller cars on our 54 have reached the end of life. Does anyone have experience in replacing the ball bearings? Do the traveller cars have to be removed? Or can this be done when the trolleys are just in place? Any advice is welcome.

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Dominique Sery

Hi,

It's very easy to do, I did it last year, there is no need to dismantle the traveller car, you just have to remove a small plate to have access to the balls.

Best
Dominique
Irko A54#16 (Kilada, Greece)

Martin Birkhoff

Many thanks, Domnique,

where did you get the balls. Antal doesn´t sell them to customers. We try to get them via SVB.

Regards
Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Dominique Sery

Martin, you can find balls on the site Accastillage-diffusion.com.
There are two rows of balls, one in Torlon (lower) and one in Delrin (upper) but I don't remember the size of the balls and I won't be going to the boat for a month (if you can wait, I'll tell you)
There are two Accastillage Diffusion shops in Sicily (Palerme and Syracuse)
https://www.accastillage-diffusion.com/accastillage/rails-barres-d-ecoute.html

Best regards
Dominique
Irko A54#16 (Kilada Greece)

 Martin Birkhoff
4:41am

Many thanks, Domnique,

where did you get the balls. Antal doesn´t sell them to customers. We try to get them via SVB.

Regards
Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Dominique Sery

Hello Martin,

i’m now on board in Greece. The balls size is 6.5 mm.

 Best

Dominique

Bill Kinney

In the world of ball bearings, those are actually 0.25 inch balls, I doubt you will find 6.5mm balls--even in Europe!

Very common, and not "special." They are pretty much the standard bearing balls for traveler cars and blocks across all manufacturers. The torlon balls (brown) are used in the lower race because they do not deform under high static loads like the delrin (white) will.  Many chandleries carry them in areas with a lot of sailboats.  You can get both out of the UK here:
https://www.ballandrollerstore.com/plastic-ball-bearings/

Buy a lot, they are cheap in larger quantity.

The only reason that delrin balls are used on the upper race is because they are "good enough" for that location and are about one third the cost.  Feel free to use the torlon balls everywhere if that simplifies your life.

And one more thing on these, do NOT lubricate them, not even with the dry silicone.  If you do, the balls can slide instead of roll and then they wear a lot faster.  (or so I was told by a Harken technical service guy) Rinse salt and dirt out often and they should be fine.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

And here is another source: Harken - https://www.harken.com/en/shop/ball-bearings/
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 7:39 AM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
[...]

The Lewmar torlon balls are 6.4 mm. Price in France 100 balls, 76,5€. Mines are 6.5 (they are old, bought 30 years not Lewmar brand).
Best
Dominique
Irko
A54

And, 6.4mm = 0.25 inch

Bill

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 9:37 AM Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
The Lewmar torlon balls are 6.4 mm. Price in France 100 balls, 76,5€. Mines are 6.5 (they are old, bought 30 years not Lewmar brand).
Best
Dominique
Irko
A54

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Meltemi yachting in Athens, Greece stock those ball bearings. We replaced ours this year. Link attached below.

Best regards,
Helen and Kosta on Meditation SM29 of 1990

On 28 May 2022, at 7:41 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

And, 6.4mm = 0.25 inch

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 9:37 AM Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
The Lewmar torlon balls are 6.4 mm. Price in France 100 balls, 76,5€. Mines are 6.5 (they are old, bought 30 years not Lewmar brand).
Best
Dominique
Irko
A54

07EF409A-9A19-4409-B86B-AA67F5FE8C59.png