Change seacock on a sharki

INUS - BUSCH

Dear forum,

on my Sharki the seacock of the toilet-out by the time has become harder and harder to open, now it is stuck in the closed position.
From the foto it seems possible to remove the whole valve by unscrewing it from the GRP reinforced shaft. Is this the right way? And is it possible without destroying the shaft? It would be great if somebody who has undertaken this job can give me an advice how to change this seacock.

All the best
Dieter
SV Fal-lera, Sharki #135

Mark Barter

There isn't a photo attached to your message but I have recently changed this seacock on a Super Maramu. I am assuming that they are similar.

The actual through hull is was glassed into the hull. The seacock was then attached to the through hull and then a layer of fibre glass is wrapped around the point where the through hull and seacock meet.

In order to remove the seacock you first need to remove the fibre glass that was put on after the seacock was fitted. I carefully used a multi tool and a mini grinder. A you remove the glass you will see the part of the seacock where a wrench can be fitted. I cleared that area and then a few mm underneath that so that the seacock can be turned. I didn't have to remove all of the glass. Just enough to free the seacock. Then you just need to unscrew the seacock. Ours wasn't cemented in at all and came free quite easily.

I had wanted to replace the whole thing with a composite seacock and through hull.  The through hull however was in good condition and I felt that if I just replaced the seacock with a composite one I would not have been able to get the grounding wire satisfactorily attached to the through hull. As a result I went with another metal seacock and attached the grounding wire to that. I used thread cement so I didn't feel the need to re-glass the seacock and through hull together again.

I hope that helps.
Mark
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky

INUS - BUSCH

Mark,
don't know if the seacock lamination is the same on sharki, but I also assume yes. Will try as you described, I think it will come off without removing GRP. Attached is the foto. Thanks for your quick answer.
All the best
Dieter
SV Fal-lera Sharki #135

Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> hat am 01.07.2021 12:15 geschrieben:

[...]

Beaute Olivier

Hello Dieter,

I confirm the seacock is installed the same way on a Sharki and on an SM, as Mark describes.
If the seacock does not come off easily (it may be the original one!!!), you may help releasing it by warming up with an electric blowing heat gun.
The through-hull fitiing is a piece of threaded brass tube, glassed to the hull with GRP.

Good luck with this work.

Olivier.

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 01:07:59 PM GMT+2, INUS - BUSCH <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

Johannes Schmidt

Dieter,

we used a chisel and a sharp screwdriver to remove the fibreglass.

Good luck and be patient on this - removing the shelf covers definitely helped.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Maybe this will help...the photos shown in this are from a SM.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 12:44 AM Johannes Schmidt <info@...> wrote:
Dieter,

we used a chisel and a sharp screwdriver to remove the fibreglass.

Good luck and be patient on this - removing the shelf covers definitely helped.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Gerhard Mueller

The size of the valve is 1_1/4 inch.
This was my old one:

But wrongly I ordered a valve of size 1_1/2 and so had to use a reducing piece:

Better choice are however the ball valves from Trudesign.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

INUS - BUSCH

Mark, Olivier, Gregory, Johannes, Bill and Gerhard,

thank you all for your contribution, very helpful. Finally it turned out to be an easy job: Remove the old one and put in a new one. The trick is to use an anaerobic sealant, before one has to clean the surfaces very carefully eg finally with acetone. Applying the sealant and let it cure overnight, than one can fix the tubes. But it only works for metal seacocks. This s the sealant that was used:

Fair winds
Dieter
Fal-lera Sharki #135, Sardenia

Am 01.07.2021 um 10:50 schrieb INUS - BUSCH <mail@...>:

Dear forum,

on my Sharki the seacock of the toilet-out by the time has become harder and harder to open, now it is stuck in the closed position.
From the foto it seems possible to remove the whole valve by unscrewing it from the GRP reinforced shaft. Is this the right way? And is it possible without destroying the shaft? It would be great if somebody who has undertaken this job can give me an advice how to change this seacock.

All the best
Dieter
SV Fal-lera, Sharki #135