Topics

Changing the base of the WC on an older SM

Hi All,

 Some time back I wrote that the base of one of our WCs  ( Jabsco 37255 )was starting to crack. Unfortunately, the replacement base ( Part no.37004-1000 ) has its anchoring holes in different places that the original. This is a problem when you can't access the underneath of the fibreglass platform to which the base is bolted.
 The same guy, Neil, as mentioned in my previous email, has a solution which involves drilling a hole wide enough to get the bolt through and then to fix the bolt in place and fill the hole.  He will do the work this winter so I will report back on how it goes.

 For those in this area, my experience of Neil ( who  recently replaced the seals on the gearbox on the main and also stripped down and rebuilt the gearbox on the main outhaul ) is good. He works with FYS yacht services, owned by Christian Grunert, an Austrian, in Porto Helli. They are full of work. See www.franks-yachtstation.com

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada

[...]

michael winand

Hi  Ian. There is access via a small cover. You will need a ring spanner with tape to catch the nut from underneath the floor.
This is on a sm251
Regards Michael

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 8:00 pm, ianjenkins1946
<ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

[...]

Aras Grinius

I had to change mine several years ago.  I took a piece of Starboard and mounted the WC to that, then tapped and mounted that to the original base.   It actually worked better as it raised the height a tad, making it more comfortable to sit on.  Just my 2 cents.

Aras
Sharki #163 1988

--
Aras Grinius

Robert Nilsen

Hi.
I did this job last summer.
On our boat there is a metal backing plate in the basemould. I just sealed the old holes and drilled new ones. These I threaded and just bolted the new toilet down.

Best regards
Robert
S/Y Silfrania
SM #53

Mark Erdos

I just recently did this job.

Jabsco claims in their literature the holes on the new part align with the holes on the older style base. They lied. The old style has 4 holes the new one has three holes. Also, be careful. They changed the base’s design and not the part number.

In my case, I did not find the backing plate extended to the area needed for the new bolt placements. This was very evident when drilling the new holes. I filled the old holes with epoxy (I color matched the brown).

I used stainless steel threaded coil inserts secured with resin for the new screw positions. Then screwed the bolts into the inserts.

4ZY16_AS01.jpg

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us