Topics

Check valve on Heat exchanger Raw Water Pipe?

Chris Doucette

Hi have a look a this- I am trying to identify what it is and why it is in place (it is corroded).  Ignore the relay wired thing- as it is just zip tied there.   I believe it to be a check valve put in place on the raw water hose from the impeller to the heat exchanger.  Later Model SMs with the Yanmar have this elevated (and shaky - makes me nervous some times)  heat exchanger.  In other photos i have found, I have yet to see this device on the hose- it is direct.   HOWEVER- it looks original, as it has the same cloth and glue method that AMEL used to secure all the other hoses.  Also there is a custom stainless steel mount holding it (very AMEL).  Does anyone else have this?  Was it added to some later model SMs by AMEL to address some nuance?  I would love to know-as it is getting nasty and needs replacement or bypassing. 

Chris
S/V Amarok SM 385 (2003)

Mark Erdos

Perhaps an owner modification to add a fresh water flush

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Doucette
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:11 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Check valve on Heat exchanger Raw Water Pipe?

Hi have a look a this- I am trying to identify what it is and why it is in place (it is corroded).  Ignore the relay wired thing- as it is just zip tied there.   I believe it to be a check valve put in place on the raw water hose from the impeller to the heat exchanger.  Later Model SMs with the Yanmar have this elevated (and shaky - makes me nervous some times)  heat exchanger.  In other photos i have found, I have yet to see this device on the hose- it is direct.   HOWEVER- it looks original, as it has the same cloth and glue method that AMEL used to secure all the other hoses.  Also there is a custom stainless steel mount holding it (very AMEL).  Does anyone else have this?  Was it added to some later model SMs by AMEL to address some nuance?  I would love to know-as it is getting nasty and needs replacement or bypassing. 

Chris
S/V Amarok SM 385 (2003)

Karen Smith

Chris,

Thats a "wye" strainer.  Definitely an after-market modification placed there probably in an attempt to prevent pieces of a failing raw water impeller from getting lodged in the heat exchanger.  If you take off that plug, you'll find a basket in there to catch solid bits.  Or, given the condition of the outside, you might find parts of a basket!

Not exactly an elegant implementation, but not a terrible idea.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC.

Chris,

Now that you have your answer, remove the rusty part completely, always use a good fresh OEM quality impeller and change it every 400 hours or less, always cleaning the pump interior, and you'll never have to worry about loose impeller pieces. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021, 2:31 PM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Chris,

Thats a "wye" strainer.  Definitely an after-market modification placed there probably in an attempt to prevent pieces of a failing raw water impeller from getting lodged in the heat exchanger.  If you take off that plug, you'll find a basket in there to catch solid bits.  Or, given the condition of the outside, you might find parts of a basket!

Not exactly an elegant implementation, but not a terrible idea.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC.

Chris Doucette

Yes!  Thank you for helping me figure it- everything has a purpose original or not- and now I know I'm not removing something critical.   Chris