Check your GPS / AIS devices. Some of them failed on Jan 2, 2022 due to the "GPS Rollover" bug

Scott SV Tengah

Garulfo, a fellow A54 informed us that their Furuno FA-50 AIS transceiver stopped transmitting at midnight on Jan 2, 2022 GMT. By chance, they use the output from the AIS unit (AIVDO NMEA sentence) to feed their wifi gateway and noticed that they lost position at that precise time.

I checked my own equipment and have the same issue. My FA-50 AIS transceiver, but GP-150 GPS Navigator and also my Navnet V2 are all subject to the "GPS rollover" issue. I happened to be on a Catana 50 last night and all of their GPS equipment had the same issue.

See attached.

https://support.furuno.co.uk/en_US/news/gps-rollover-january-2022

It is not a Furuno specific problem, but rather related to the week counter system on the GPS system, which is only 10 binary digits. That means at 1024, it goes back to zero. Unless the manufacturer anticipates this, your device will either lose position, show a date 19.7 years in the past or both.

For Furuno, many of the devices can be updated by the dealer. Unfortunately for us, we're in the remote Tuamotus and have no intention of being near a dealer for the next 6 months.

If you want to check your AIS, ask a neighbor boat whether they can see you. If you're a bit more technically inclined, you can check the NMEA output and put your AIVDO sentence through this decoder. If it shows invalid position value, then your AIS is no longer transmitting your position. It will likely still receive, however.

https://www.aggsoft.com/ais-decoder.htm

Thanks to Garulfo for pointing out this problem, otherwise I would have blissfully been unaware that I wasn't transmitting. I am guessing many AIS users will be in the same position.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Scott,
I found some help ( softwareupdate etc) for this problem.

Wolfgang  SY ELISE  Amel 54 #162 La Rochelle

Bob Grey

Yep same issue on my boat, A55 Renaissance 3 and also Another 55 Serenity in Sydney, all went silent mode and date went to may 2002, I got the date back by changing the time source to my TZ15. Have to contact Furuno on how to get the ais transmit back.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
A55 #25

Scott SV Tengah

I successfully updated my FA-50 AIS. Had to make a crossover ethernet cable since we don't have a hub onboard and the tiny shops on the remote South Pacific atolls are out of fresh vegetables and don't seem to carry crossover ethernet cables, either. ;)  A bit of splicing + turning off windows firewall and I was able to update our FA-50.

Do you have the GP-150? I cannot connect to it to update it. I have the serial output on Data4 enabled with a DB9 output and then connected to a DB9-USB converter. I have been using that for years to provide GPS data to my computer, but I can't get the Furuno update software to connect.

FYI - We know a SM with Garmin and they have been blissfully unaware that they may have been transmitting erroneous AIS position information since 2019. It is not a Furuno specific bug. It's easy to remain unaware that your reported position is missing or incorrect.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

The following file may help:
I have all of the available Furuno software upgrades and instructions on my website for the following Furuno models:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 2:51 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,

I have the relevant files for the devices I have onboard. The issue is that I cannot connect to my GP-150 through the Furuno update software, even though I have been able to connect using Opencpn for years.

But thanks for posting - others can give it a go and report back.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Arno Luijten

I talked to Furuno and they provided me with the suggested 2.02 software for the AIS transceiver (enclosed). I did the update and it is working again as usual.

For the GP150 (Not the DUAL) they are chasing the correct software. But I'm afraid it also requires a cable connected to DATA4 that is different from the other cables. My Amel did not have the DATA4 cable attached.

If I receive news I will post it here.

Regards,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Myfuruno gp 32 gps and my furino chart plotter have gone to May 2002 date. Position is OK on both as I have external aerials. ENL the NZ distributors for furuno say the date cannt be corrected and (what a surprise) recommend a replacement as the solution. Pity  abuse I like my old fashio I have a newer furuno VX 2 as my radar. Will see if I  an patch the date from that. It talks to the plotter and I can full or split screen  the radar to the plotter.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 11/01/2022 09:51 Scott SV Tengah <scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

Porter McRoberts

We just had furuno Brisbane reprogram both the GPS and the AIS. Interesting note. No longer to silence the AIS using software, which was important to us on rare occasion.  The tech gave me the wiring diagram for the power wire to the GPS which allows a hard silencing: close the circuit between the purple and grey wires= AIS silent mode.

Also date is correct after his reprogramming.

Happy sailing,
Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Jan 11, 2022, at 10:42 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Porter,

You have the GP-150 and he successfully reprogrammed it?

For the FA-50, I always had the hard switch. My understanding was that the software “silent mode” was not available on the FA-50, even prior to the update.

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Porter McRoberts via groups.io" <portermcroberts@...>
Date: Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:15 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Check your GPS / AIS devices. Some of them failed on Jan 2, 2022 due to the "GPS Rollover" bug

[...]

Yes Scott correct on both points. We have the 150 and successfully reprogrammed. And we had a software option to change the transmit to silence mode which we no longer have.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Porter McRoberts via groups.io" <portermcroberts@...>
Date: Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:15 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

We just had furuno Brisbane reprogram both the GPS and the AIS. Interesting note. No longer to silence the AIS using software, which was important to us on rare occasion.  The tech gave me the wiring diagram for the power wire to the GPS which allows a hard silencing: close the circuit between the purple and grey wires= AIS silent mode.

<image.png>

[...]

Did he charge for this service ?

Mind giving me his contact info? I have the software and instructions for the gp150 and the data cable for data4, but am having trouble getting the update software to connect to the gp150.

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Porter McRoberts via groups.io" <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:15 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Happily. I’ll send.
He took about 15 restarts in both his laptop and the GP150 before the update would go through. And then it did. Like finding the hammer in the drawer on the 15th look.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Porter McRoberts via groups.io" <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:15 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Billy Newport

Just looking at Coder (Amel 55#56).

My SC30 wasn't impacted, the date time from that is still correct.

My GP33 is impacted and as a result the VHF radio shows the wrong time but correct GPS. I need a RS232 cable bodged to NMEA184 to do this so can't for now.

I updated my FA50. I had my PC attached to ethernet, configured the IP address. Turn off WIFI, make sure your PC is just connected using ethernet. Make sure RADAR is on. Run the nupf batch file then cycle the RADAR switch, this turns off the FA50 and turns it on again. The batch program will then do an update twice. I confirmed it's now transmitting using marine traffic and the silent switch at my nav table still works.

Billy

Peter Forbes

Good day Amel owners,

Just one owners experience of this roll over GP 90 FURUNO.

Amel 54 #035 Carango has a GP90. The local Furuno rep here is Greenham Regis Lymington.

They tell me the GP90 is no longer supported and have sold me a GP39 for replacement at UK £290. OK bad but not disastrous.

BUT delivery of GP39 promised for DECEMBER 2022!!!!

unbelievable.

Peter Forbes
Carango Amel 54 035 @ Lymington UK
07836 209730

On 12 Jan 2022, at 15:24, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

Just looking at Coder (Amel 55#56).

My SC30 wasn't impacted, the date time from that is still correct.

My GP33 is impacted and as a result the VHF radio shows the wrong time but correct GPS. I need a RS232 cable bodged to NMEA184 to do this so can't for now.

I updated my FA50. I had my PC attached to ethernet, configured the IP address. Turn off WIFI, make sure your PC is just connected using ethernet. Make sure RADAR is on. Run the nupf batch file then cycle the RADAR switch, this turns off the FA50 and turns it on again. The batch program will then do an update twice. I confirmed it's now transmitting using marine traffic and the silent switch at my nav table still works.

Billy

Pierre Blouin

For those interested.  Furuno is offering to update FW for free on the FA-50 (probably for other impacted units which have a FW fix available).  I know this isn't practical for a lot of folks but I thought of sharing for those folks who live closer.  Furuno USA is located in Vancouver, WA. you can drop in or ship your unit to them, they'll update it for free.

Pierre Blouin
SV Viva,
Portland, OR
SM#374

Alan Leslie

Hi Peter,

The GP-39 is available here in Australia from a number of chandlers.
Some big differences to GP-90 - it's a lot smaller, so you'll need to reduce the size of the hole, and it has only one NMEA0183 port and one USB port so you'll have to reconfigure how you send the GPS signal to the devices your GP-90 is connected to.

I'm curious about this date rollover issue.
According to Furuno, a cold start will reset the device and the position information will be correct, but it will display the wrong date.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I don't think the date is actually used by anything my GP-90 GPS is connected to.
UTC is contained in some NMEA0183 sentences, RMB for example, but is this calculated in the Furuno, or does it come from the satellites?
I don't know the answer to that and I can't get to the boat to see what effect this wrong date has.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Scott SV Tengah

Every boat is setup differently, but our GP-150 feeds our VHF and SSB (when we had it connected). I presume if you send a DSC distress call, there is a timestamp on it. I know for a fact that my connected iCOM vhf displays the incorrect date.

For the AIS, it simply stops transmitting when it gets an invalid timestamp, as mentioned before. Cannot coldstart the FA-50 to fix it.

I would believe that since GPS is a source of very-very-very precise time, most devices that receive GPS (either directly or through NMEA sentences) would use GPS time information to set the device time versus have a secondary clock that is subject to drift.

I know that with the Garmin devices that have the rollover issue, the problem is that gps signal gets weak and then can show incorrect position data. Seems this rollover bug creates unpredictable issues. Best solution is to google your devices and see if they have any issues with the rollover bug, Furuno or not.

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 3:26 PM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Alan,

I experienced the "Frist Rollover" with Y2k and the Furuno GP-80 in a SM. The reboot solved everything except the date and the date was not used with any of my connected devices which included AIS "B." At the time I was using OpenCPN for chart plotting and it was not affected.

Bill