circuit breaker starboard aft locker in aft cabin & NO fuse on BT etc

EricOpdeweegh

Dear Amelians,

We are renewing the electrical system for inverter, solar and wind and preparing for lithium.
Amazing there is really NO fuse on the Bowtruster etc etc???? ..... Anyone any idea why not? What is the idea behind that?
Or is it me?

Does anyone know what the original purpose for the 24V wires that run to the Lazarette in the aft?
There is a circuit breaker in the aft starboard locker in the aft cabin as per enclosed photos.
The previous owner used it for the power from the old fashion "MPPT" that he located in the lazarette for solar panels that were located on the railing port aft.

We will pull new wires directly from the new solar panels to the MPPT's in the passage way hanging locker.

Anyway just wondering what was the original use for this 24 V to the lazarette???

Fair winds
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158

Eric Freedman

My 24  breaker is located in the panel for the Starboard winch. It powers a light and a inflator socket in the aft lazarette for the dinghy.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Bill Kinney

Eric&Elis,

Amel had some "unconventional" ideas about electrical wiring.  Some of them are good, some--not so much.  The use, (or lack thereof), and the location of overcurrent protection  definitely fall into the later category.

Having unfused wires run from the battery to the bow of the boat, from the battery to the engine room, and from there to the circuit panels is, to me, not a good plan. They idea that it is impossible to have a short circuit in these wires is just not realistic. Another issue to be aware of is that the bow thruster motor has no thermal shutdown protection.  If you use it too long and too hard it will fail due to over heating. This is a design decision that reflects different priorities:  When you are in the middle of close quarters maneuvering, which would you rather have:  The boat bump into the dock because the bow thruster unexpectedly shut down on thermal overload?  Or a small fire in the thruster motor?  My choice between those two bad outcomes would apparently have been different than Amel's.

We added a 500 Amp ANL fuse to replace the positive stud in the battery box which collects all the wires from the individual battery pairs. That is sufficient to protect the heavy gauge wires that run from the battery switch outward.  ANY smaller gauge wire connected to that point has also a fuse appropriate to its wire gauge. Adding a bus bar with individual terminal fuses was a compact and relatively neat way of doing this in the compartment at the forward end of the battery box, and also allowed us to unstack the multiple wires on a single terminal of the battery switch.

As Eric mentioned, the circuit breaker leading to the aft lazerette was originally to feed 24 volt power to an outlet that was used to power a 24V dinghy inflator. I bet somebody still has one that works, but they have mostly long since gone to the great boatyard in the sky!

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Harmonie
Simpson Bay, Sint Marteen

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Bill,
I was hoping you would react to my question 😂👍🏻
Thanks . I fully agree about the fusing. As said before to you.
Once our system is done I will place some more details on the groupsite.
Learning a lot from all of you.

Good to know the original purpose of the aft circuit .

Fair winds
Eric
Sv Abayomi
SM 158

Op 8 mei 2022 om 06:03 heeft Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Hi Eric
Thanks ,your quick reply is well appreciated .
Fair winds
Eric
Sv Abayomi
SM 158