Climma AC fan don't start and/or speed will not change

WASABI - Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi All,

On my A54 - Aft Cabin Climma AC Unit the Fan is not starting and after some attempt I’m able to get it run. Most of time the FAN it is not starting to blow.

I know it could be the Capacitor in the Unit, but I don’t know exactly which one is for the FAN? The control of the FAN Speed is erratic and not changeable.

The thermostat and the compressor unit is working and the unit is starting to cool down, but without airflow it does not make much sense.

Has anyone got into same situation and what was the solution?

@ Mohammad, I’m coming back to your treat some years ago; - you changed the capacitor but then there was no fan speed control anymore.

                -What was your findings & outcome after all?

Thanks and BR.

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Otranto

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Datum: Samstag, 7. September 2019 um 17:36
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: [AmelYachtOwners] Climma AC fan speed will not change

Hi All;

The aft cabin AC fan speed selection had been working intermittently for a while. Speeds 1,2 and 4 would work fine but sometimes when the selection was changed from 2 to 4 it would not speed up and sometimes when it was turned off and on, the speed would go up to 4. The blower fan stopped working completely a few days ago and we had zero air flow. I changed the blower fan capacitor (the small one 2 microfarad) and the fan started right up, much quicker than before and with a lot more air volume being pumped into the cabin. However, now we have zero fan speed control. It stays at what appears to be maximum fan speed at all settings of 1-4 and automatic.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I do have a spare transformer, controller and wall display unit plus the other 2 capacitors.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 # 099

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Reudi,

The fan not starting is most likely, but not 100% caused by a bad capacitor. In our unit we have 3. I believe 2,10 and 40 microfarads. Not sure which is for which. As a SOP, we just change all 3 capacitors, when one fails from the original set, which is now about 13 years old. We decided to go this route, because we had 3 capacitors fail this season.  one in each unit. The first one was with a Big Bang and smoke in the master cabin. The second was discovered when we saw some hazy smoke in the salon. The third was smell of burning toast from the forward cabin. The smell and smoke is not pleasant and most likely toxic. So for 5 euros each, we figured better to replace all when we have the unit open. You can test the capacitance with a meter to check which one is bad.

The fan speed is controlled by a multi step transformer. The command for the transformer comes from the control unit. You need to check and see if the command to the transformer changes, when you change the fan speed. If this is ok, then most likely the controller is ok. You then need to check the output voltage to the fan motor from the transformer . This voltage should change based on the fan setting. The max voltage should be 230V for max fan speed. If this does not occur, then the transformer is bad.

The transformer replacement fixed our fan speed issue. I was told by a Veco rep recently that the transformer is no longer made. The new units have everything incorporated into the Electronics board. You may still find some hanging around at some distributors warehouse.

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
A54 #099

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Datum: Samstag, 7. September 2019 um 17:36
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Nick Newington

Ruedi,
Very often a close examination of the capacitors will reveal which one is defective. It may become misshaped or have a burn mark.
Be careful as a fully charged capacitor can give one a nasty shock.
From memory the biggest capacitor is the compressor start capacitor 40 microfarad.
The compressor starts so not that one. Then there is the fan start and run capacitors. Which are smaller.
Change them…
If that does not solve the problem then you will have fun diagnosing the problem. If it’s the board, good luck finding a new one. The older units have different boards to the new.

Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Leros

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Datum: Samstag, 7. September 2019 um 17:36
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Hi Mohammad

Thank you for the explanations. You’re right it’s better to change all Capacitors when the unit is open.

Happy sailing and BR

Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Datum: Samstag, 7. September 2019 um 17:36
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

I changed the FAN Capacitor which is the smallest one with 2 micro-farad. The existing (old) had only some nano-farad left. No marks or any unusual sign, nor burning smell.

The Unit in the aft Cabin is easy to access and to change the Capacitors not very time consuming.

After the change the unit came back on work full power and everybody is happy to get fresh air on a hot summer night 😉

Thanks again for the supporting advice and kind regards

Ruedi & Sabina Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55