Cockpit door closing mechanism

EricOpdeweegh

Amalians,
Could anyone send me some photos of the cockpit closure mechanism?
When you pull up the door with the bar I thought to remember that it falls into the slot without having to turn the black plastic nuts. Mine there is no springs anymore and we need to turn the black nuts until it sits tight
It seems our wooden bar is not working anymore as it should .
Assume we need some springs but have no idea how big.

Thanks for the ideas and photos

Best Regards and fair winds

Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

There are no springs.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021, 10:58 AM EricOpdeweegh <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Amalians,
Could anyone send me some photos of the cockpit closure mechanism?
When you pull up the door with the bar I thought to remember that it falls into the slot without having to turn the black plastic nuts. Mine there is no springs anymore and we need to turn the black nuts until it sits tight
It seems our wooden bar is not working anymore as it should .
Assume we need some springs but have no idea how big.

Thanks for the ideas and photos

Best Regards and fair winds

Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

Mark Garver

There are no springs as Bill stated. On ours we have a slide bolt at the top which we use mostly, we also have the black plastic nuts on the bar, however, the slide bolt is simply to deploy from the cockpit.

Best,

Mark Garver
S/V It’s Good

On Jul 22, 2021, at 1:31 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Winand

This is the original on Nebo sm251

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, 1:58 am EricOpdeweegh, <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Amalians,
Could anyone send me some photos of the cockpit closure mechanism?
When you pull up the door with the bar I thought to remember that it falls into the slot without having to turn the black plastic nuts. Mine there is no springs anymore and we need to turn the black nuts until it sits tight
It seems our wooden bar is not working anymore as it should .
Assume we need some springs but have no idea how big.

Thanks for the ideas and photos

Best Regards and fair winds

Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

EricOpdeweegh

Thank you Bill, Mark and Michael,

Sound like a good solution too Mark.

Thanks for the photo Michael,
Does your fall into place automatically Michael or do you need to turn both the plastic nuts each time you want to close tie hatch too?

Fair winds
Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

EricOpdeweegh

Thank you Bill, Mark for your quick reply.

That sounds like a good solution too Mark

Best Regards and fair winds

Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam
too, Mark

Op 22 jul. 2021 om 19:41 heeft Mark Garver via groups.io <mgarver@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

The wooden bar sits into the notches, can leave it loose or tighten the knobs to lock it in position. The spring stops it rubbing on the door tracks
Michael

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, 8:54 am EricOpdeweegh, <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Thank you Bill, Mark and Michael,

Sound like a good solution too Mark.

Thanks for the photo Michael,
Does your fall into place automatically Michael or do you need to turn both the plastic nuts each time you want to close tie hatch too?

Fair winds
Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

Bill Kinney

Eric,

You seem to have it backwards.  The only "springs" in the system hold the bar OUT away from the notches on the track in a position that allows the slide to fall under gravity as Micheal has pictured and described.

To hold it up you must tighten the hand wheels which compress the bar into the notches.  Some boats have replaced these wheels with cam levers that work well to hold the door up without all the spinning.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswich, GA

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Bill,
That figures. Thanks for the advise.

Eric
SM158
Rotterdam

Op 23 jul. 2021 om 03:54 heeft Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> het volgende geschreven:

Eric,

You seem to have it backwards.  The only "springs" in the system hold the bar OUT away from the notches on the track in a position that allows the slide to fall under gravity as Micheal has pictured and described.

To hold it up you must tighten the hand wheels which compress the bar into the notches.  Some boats have replaced these wheels with cam levers that work well to hold the door up without all the spinning.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswich, GA

EricOpdeweegh

Thanks Michael.
Well appreciate for the anwsers

Rgrds
Eric
SM158
Rotterdam

Op 23 jul. 2021 om 01:59 heeft Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> het volgende geschreven:

The wooden bar sits into the notches, can leave it loose or tighten the knobs to lock it in position. The spring stops it rubbing on the door tracks
Michael

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, 8:54 am EricOpdeweegh, <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Thank you Bill, Mark and Michael,

Sound like a good solution too Mark.

Thanks for the photo Michael,
Does your fall into place automatically Michael or do you need to turn both the plastic nuts each time you want to close tie hatch too?

Fair winds
Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

Geo Uhrich

Hello AMEL Family,

Has anyone ever done air conditioning without a generator?  I would go with lots of solar and Lithium batteries with a large Inverter..

Geo

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 9:58 AM EricOpdeweegh <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
[...]

Nicolas Klene

Hello Éric
Mine has Springs between the bar and the black knobs unlike on Kimberlite,as you may remember…
I never have to touch the black knobs to open or close the hatch , the springs keeps the bar tight against the frame while it slides up or down and firmly in place when in the groove to secure it .

I will send some pictures later returning to the boat .
Kind regards
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Dominique Sery

Hello Geo, i can run one air conditioning unit with my lithium batteries
Dominique
Irko A54#16

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Nick ,
Thanks that would be great.
It is offcourse your ship I had seen and noticed the good working system 👍🏻
Will give you a call again soon. Just had too much stuff to arrange.
Rgrds
Eric
SM 158
Rotterdam

Op 23 jul. 2021 om 10:21 heeft Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hello Éric
Mine has Springs between the bar and the black knobs unlike on Kimberlite,as you may remember…
I never have to touch the black knobs to open or close the hatch , the springs keeps the bar tight against the frame while it slides up or down and firmly in place when in the groove to secure it .

I will send some pictures later returning to the boat .
Kind regards
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Here is a snippet from my Amel Book, giving you two suggestions for a Locking Cam Levers/Latches for your door. One you make from teak (I did this one), the other you can buy ready to go:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 10:58 AM EricOpdeweegh <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Amalians,
Could anyone send me some photos of the cockpit closure mechanism?
When you pull up the door with the bar I thought to remember that it falls into the slot without having to turn the black plastic nuts. Mine there is no springs anymore and we need to turn the black nuts until it sits tight
It seems our wooden bar is not working anymore as it should .
Assume we need some springs but have no idea how big.

Thanks for the ideas and photos

Best Regards and fair winds

Eric Opdeweegh
Sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Rotterdam

EricOpdeweegh

Thank you Bill and thank you all for the range of ideas and possibilities.
Will study and pick the best one :)

Regards and happy sailing

Eric
SM158
Abayomi
Rotterdam

eric freedman

Hi Bill,

I do not have it backwards. The springs on my door closure do hold the bar away from the door surface. If you will note in my photo I also use came levers.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

You seem to have it backwards.  The only "springs" in the system hold the bar OUT away from the notches on the track in a position that allows the slide to fall under gravity as Micheal has pictured and described.

To hold it up you must tighten the hand wheels which compress the bar into the notches.  Some boats have replaced these wheels with cam levers that work well to hold the door up without all the spinning.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswich, GA

Arno Luijten

Hi Eric,

I made a modification earlier this year and so far I’m very happy with the result. I’m pretty sure the same could be done on a SM.

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/82934896#58652

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Arno,
I now see that I'm not the only one who is thinking about this system.
Great topic for the forum.
Thanks for your reply. Another possible solution:)
Will let the options settle in and choose one.

Rgrds
Eric
sv Abayomi
SM 158