From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of scentstone <scentstone@...>
Sent: Monday, 14 October 2019 3:45:09 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Companion way for removal

Thank you Eric for the first extensive tutorial,
Thank you Ian for the alternative product
Thank you Bill for the very insightful questions.

Even if there was some previous threads about this subject in the forum, we all need to clarify the most secure way to replace the veneer using a wood product and placing it also under the external guides because, in some rough conditions, if the job isn't made in using a single sheet properly glued, it can drive to a blocked companionway after sometime in bad weather which is highly undesirable…
Ian, may be have you some images and a more detailed process and we can start here to make a detailed how-to.
If we succeed, I'll update my external veener and post here also the details and images.
Kind regards
FF

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The horizontal orientation was primarily personal preference from the customary way companionway hatches have traditionally been fabricated; when they had to be removed and stowed.  Also, if someone was intent on breaking in the strength of the assembly is far stronger in the horizontal configuration.  Discounting the inability to remove the hatch the Amel method of sliding the hatch down and leaving it in place is nice.

PS - The authorities announced yesterday the overturned car carrier at St. Simons is going to be sectioned and removed in pieces.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Michael Mueller

Nice Job Mark and Debbie,

is there a reason why you choose to run the wood fiber structure horizontal and not vertical?
I assume it was done be the wood shop you had mentioned before.

Sorry I missed you in Annapolis.

kind regards
Michael & Robyn
RIPPLE SM2K #417

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The other alternative is to replace the companionway door.  Take measurements for height then section the door with a saw and remove the pieces.  Select a wood of your choice and using the existing door as template for width and thickness, match the Amel door very closely, fabricate the sections and glue in place.  In our case we used teak.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

scentstone

Thank you Eric for the first extensive tutorial,
Thank you Ian for the alternative product
Thank you Bill for the very insightful questions.

Even if there was some previous threads about this subject in the forum, we all need to clarify the most secure way to replace the veneer using a wood product and placing it also under the external guides because, in some rough conditions, if the job isn't made in using a single sheet properly glued, it can drive to a blocked companionway after sometime in bad weather which is highly undesirable…
Ian, may be have you some images and a more detailed process and we can start here to make a detailed how-to.
If we succeed, I'll update my external veener and post here also the details and images.
Kind regards
FF

Ian Townsend

Paper not removed. We used contact cement. We did not remove the door. We spent lots of time making sure of the fit so that it could be cut right to the trim on the top and the sides. We were extremely careful with the placement. Of course, the bottom edge did not matter as we had cut it so it went below the gap/weatherproofing. Also, as with all veneer, the rolling is critical.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
US East Coast

On Oct 14, 2019, at 5:04 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Ian,

I read that the product you used has a paper backing. Was this removed for installation?
What did you use for glue or cement?
Were you able to get the new veneer between the door and the outside trim?

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 2:09 AM Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:
We used this veneer, ordered through Amazon.

On Oct 14, 2019, at 2:30 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi,

To apply laminate contact cement is used. Please remember to let both  surfaces dry before joining the laminate to the door,

When the two touch they cannot be separated, be careful.. I chose Formica brand laminate only because it looks closest to teak here in the USA. Just pick the one that you like, they are all basically the same. Just be sure to get the thicker variety of the laminate. Although the look is identical they often come in a very thin and a thicker style.

Fair Winds

Eric

sm