Companionway hatch removal

william reynolds

I've heard much discussion about renewing the vertical  companionway hatch.  The veneer on the hatch takes a beating from sun and rain. I've seen several boats that had their doors sanded and new veneer applied. The new veneer surface is less than 1/32nd thick and cannot be sanded.  It is an easy process.  A one day DIY project and shouldn't cost more than $100.00 US. (Woodworkers are charging much more)

A better solution - I  cut the door horizontally, in the middle,  reattached the pieces with a piano  hinge, added a gasket between the two halves, replaced the sweep and viola! I can now remove the hatch in less than 5 minutes. (See the results on the attached photos.) Cost was about $100.00 US including the hinge, sweep and varnish.   I have a full set of pictures of the process if anyone is interested
Bill Reynolds
Cloud Street SM2K 331

I agree that there should be an easy way to do this, and I found a woodshop owned by a New Zealander in Antigua who repairs this door without removing it. Chris Waelen in Jolly Harbour Boatyard, Jolly Harbour, Antigua. Chris works wonders with anything wood. I looked him up because he replaced the veneer on the companionway door of an Amel 54 with a teak veneer. Here is a photo, and here is a link for contact and more information:
https://preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/anything-wood.html. Chris uses a 3M self-adhesive veneer and has choices of several different kinds of wood, including cherry.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:57 AM william reynolds <sail23692@...> wrote:
[...]

Two of the pictures were missing. in the post here they are.

Chris in Jolly Harbor is a very good friend and after seeing my door,he will be offering the cut and hinge method in the future
Bill Reynolds
Cloud Street

Gerhard Mueller

Of course you can cut and damage the door, but it is far more easier to left the door intact and cut only the inner leg of the U-shaped slider wood at the port side for about 70 centimeters from above with a fine small cutter. After removing, repairing the door and take it back you simply attach the cutten wood piece with same screws. See pictures.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60