Topics

Companionway sliding door gasket deterioration

closereach <no_reply@...>

Shearwater is a 1984 Maramu, and we're undergoing a huge refit, one
very small part of which was replacing the companionway vertical
sliding door. The problem we've encountered is the deterioration of
the rubber gasket which goes along the bottom of the door sill, so
water running down the outside of the door goes aft over the sill
into the cockpit, rather than into the door's "pocket" and thence
eventually into the bilge. Any idea of where to get the same or
similar gasket, short of trying to deal directly with Amel? Our
prior efforts with them have been frustrating due to the language
barrier, as well as contending with US Customs.

Bob and Laurie Wright

stargazer41amel <no_reply@...>

Bob and Laurie Wright:

We ordered the gasket that you are referring to from Amel and had no
problems with customs, etc. Language barrier was not an issue as we
dealt with all communications via email... Did as Joel's wife
instructed us to do. She gave great advice just like Joel. The only
thing I would say is order enough for two refits as the shipping was
more than the gasket. The gasket was about 45.00 US but the shipping
was 90.00 US Fed Ex. But we couldn"t find anything similar in our
research here in US. Installation was easy! And it works just like
it's supposed to. No water leaks!

Delores & Gene Carter