Topics

Compass Replacement


Matt & Michelle Day
 

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135. 

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.


Slavko Despotovic
 

Hello,

Same happened on my previous boat few years ago. I just replaced it with new one. Cost was close to 200 Euro. It was easy, 1 hour work.  The old one I kept for emergency.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz


Matt Salatino
 

We were able to service ours. (A YouTube exists for this)
Easy.
Remove the top cover. (The plastic buttons on the side act as the hinge for the cover and carefully snap out. If you lose one, Plastimo supplies these as spares, sometimes for free.)
Remove the compass from its mount. You don’t have to remove completely, just to tilt it forward a bit. Prop it so it stays upright. Light wiring didn’t need disconnecting.
The dome is plastic.
Drill a small hole at the top, still under where the cover is located. Make sure the hole is at the top center of the bubble (the reason for tilting the compass forward, to position the top of the bubble under the cover location). We carefully used a home made funnel to fill the air bubble with mineral oil. When full, clean the outside of the sphere very well.
We used clear  5 minute epoxy, a small dab, to cover the hole. Let it set up a bit, so it’s quite thick (so it doesn’t run into the hole). Let dry and reassemble. Bubble gone!
We sold the boat two years later. We keep up with the new owner and the bubble has not reappeared, another two years later.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Matt & Michelle Day <charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135. 

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.


Mark Erdos
 

Hi Matt & Michelle,

 

I replaced ours  four years ago in Martinique because of a large bubble. I wrote to Plastimo and asked them if more compass oil could be added. They responded by saying this model is a sealed design and if I have air, it is because there is a small leak somewhere. It turned out to be a good idea to replace it since the housing had become very brittle and easily cracked when removing it as you can see in the picture. I purchase the replacement at one of the local ship stores in La Marin. https://www.creampuff.us/2018/02/martinique-and-repairs/

 

The exact replacement is Plastimo Olympic 135 and is available worldwide.

https://www.plastimo.com/en/compas-olympic-6274.html

 

It is worth noting there are screws securing the compass under the plastic plates on the compass. Four screws. Also, the new compass is LED and you cannot dim it. It is on or off. The LED is 12/24v. I had spare incandescent bulbs for the compass and I could have used these to keep the dimming function however, I opted to stick with the LED. Use silicone to waterproof the assembly.

 

The compass comes with calibration instructions. Ours was only off by 1° out of the box.

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt & Michelle Day
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 7:56 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Compass Replacement

 

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135. 

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Matt. We have the problem too so your description is timely. You say mineral oil. Can ypu be more specific.

Regards

Danny sm 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 January 2021 at 08:23 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

We were able to service ours. (A YouTube exists for this)
Easy.
Remove the top cover. (The plastic buttons on the side act as the hinge for the cover and carefully snap out. If you lose one, Plastimo supplies these as spares, sometimes for free.)
Remove the compass from its mount. You don’t have to remove completely, just to tilt it forward a bit. Prop it so it stays upright. Light wiring didn’t need disconnecting.
The dome is plastic.
Drill a small hole at the top, still under where the cover is located. Make sure the hole is at the top center of the bubble (the reason for tilting the compass forward, to position the top of the bubble under the cover location). We carefully used a home made funnel to fill the air bubble with mineral oil. When full, clean the outside of the sphere very well.
We used clear  5 minute epoxy, a small dab, to cover the hole. Let it set up a bit, so it’s quite thick (so it doesn’t run into the hole). Let dry and reassemble. Bubble gone!
We sold the boat two years later. We keep up with the new owner and the bubble has not reappeared, another two years later.

~~~ ⛵️~~~ Matt

On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Matt & Michelle Day < charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135. 

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.


 


 


Matt Salatino
 

In the US, mineral oil is sold in most hardware stores. We found it in La Rochelle France in a kitchen supply store. It is a thin, clear, inert oil. We also used it to fill the void in our through-the-hull depth sounder transducer, so we did not need to drill a hole in the hull for our depth sounder.
We also use it to season our cutting board.

On Jan 18, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Matt. We have the problem too so your description is timely. You say mineral oil. Can ypu be more specific.

Regards

Danny sm 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 January 2021 at 08:23 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

We were able to service ours. (A YouTube exists for this)
Easy.
Remove the top cover. (The plastic buttons on the side act as the hinge for the cover and carefully snap out. If you lose one, Plastimo supplies these as spares, sometimes for free.)
Remove the compass from its mount. You don’t have to remove completely, just to tilt it forward a bit. Prop it so it stays upright. Light wiring didn’t need disconnecting.
The dome is plastic.
Drill a small hole at the top, still under where the cover is located. Make sure the hole is at the top center of the bubble (the reason for tilting the compass forward, to position the top of the bubble under the cover location). We carefully used a home made funnel to fill the air bubble with mineral oil. When full, clean the outside of the sphere very well.
We used clear  5 minute epoxy, a small dab, to cover the hole. Let it set up a bit, so it’s quite thick (so it doesn’t run into the hole). Let dry and reassemble. Bubble gone!
We sold the boat two years later. We keep up with the new owner and the bubble has not reappeared, another two years later.

~~~ ⛵️~~~ Matt

On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Matt & Michelle Day < charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135. 

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.


 


 


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Thanks Matt.

Danny

On 19 January 2021 at 13:20 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

 
In the US, mineral oil is sold in most hardware stores. We found it in La Rochelle France in a kitchen supply store. It is a thin, clear, inert oil. We also used it to fill the void in our through-the-hull depth sounder transducer, so we did not need to drill a hole in the hull for our depth sounder.
We also use it to season our cutting board.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

~~~ ⛵️~~~ Matt

On Jan 18, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Matt. We have the problem too so your description is timely. You say mineral oil. Can ypu be more specific.

Regards

Danny sm 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 January 2021 at 08:23 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" < helmsmatt@...> wrote:

We were able to service ours. (A YouTube exists for this)
Easy.
Remove the top cover. (The plastic buttons on the side act as the hinge for the cover and carefully snap out. If you lose one, Plastimo supplies these as spares, sometimes for free.)
Remove the compass from its mount. You don’t have to remove completely, just to tilt it forward a bit. Prop it so it stays upright. Light wiring didn’t need disconnecting.
The dome is plastic.
Drill a small hole at the top, still under where the cover is located. Make sure the hole is at the top center of the bubble (the reason for tilting the compass forward, to position the top of the bubble under the cover location). We carefully used a home made funnel to fill the air bubble with mineral oil. When full, clean the outside of the sphere very well.
We used clear  5 minute epoxy, a small dab, to cover the hole. Let it set up a bit, so it’s quite thick (so it doesn’t run into the hole). Let dry and reassemble. Bubble gone!
We sold the boat two years later. We keep up with the new owner and the bubble has not reappeared, another two years later.

~~~ ⛵️~~~ Matt

On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Matt & Michelle Day < charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135. 

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.