Topics

Corian Countertops

tabnchuck

We are taking delivery on Dec. 9, '02 and are trying to piece
together our final wish, I mean options, list. Does anyone have an
opinion about the Corian option for the galley countertops? Joel has
made a pretty hard sell (one of the few...) and we are a little
reluctant because of some homeowner friends who have had problems
with staining and scratches. Why would Amel offer an inferior option
when they have the trendy "retro" goldenrod sink and classic Johnson
& Johnson Bandaid brown gelcoat?

Is there a down side to the corian tops and white sink?

Is the warm water cockpit shower helpful?

Thanks for the replies, its great to see the site up and running with
some very good input.

Chuck, Tabitha, Joshua(10), Ariella(9), & August(8) Luecker

stargazer41amel <no_reply@...>

Ah, the joys of yacht decisions!Your friends are correct in their
statements.

Corian countertops do scratch and stain. My experience comes from
having a Corian showergrate in a previous boat ... milddew into the
Corian was not to be removed ... even with bleach. My cutting board
(which I love) is scratched and stained. One can lightly sand the
surface to "clean & clear" the Corian but doing so is difficult
because of the layering of the Corian material.

I have a good friend who is a master woodworker (kitchens) in
$1,000,000+ homes and he strongly encouraged me NOT to put Corian in
my 41 Amel due to the poor longterm cosmetic durability of the
material. He also states that a very hot pot placed on the surface
can damage/burn the material. Corian is a type of plastic polymer.

I considered installing Corian into my refitted galley but I trust
his advise and experience so I had custom stainless steel sinks and
counter and back splash made all in one piece (no leaks)! Very
expensive but worth it.

It's a shame that Amel doesn't offer stainless steel options or
marble options (excellent counter materials).

We have always valued advice given by Joel, but in this case I would
have to say people who have owned Corian counters will tell you like
it really is. Pretty when new but difficult to keep new looking.

Enjoy your new Amel! Excellent vessels!
Delores Carter

stargazer41amel <no_reply@...>

Is the warm water cockpit shower helpful?

Forgot this question ... yes, yes, yes, a warm shower in a cockpit is
great! We are refitting our cockpit shower with hot/cold options.
In the summer the cold water shower is fine but on those cooler
days/evenings we wished for warm water to rinse off and/or clean
scuba gear, the dog, etc.

Delores Carter

jjwiggin2000 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., "tabnchuck" <c.luecker@v...> wrote:
We are taking delivery on Dec. 9, '02 and are trying to piece
together our final wish, I mean options, list. Does anyone have an
opinion about the Corian option for the galley countertops? Joel
has
made a pretty hard sell (one of the few...) and we are a little
reluctant because of some homeowner friends who have had problems
with staining and scratches. Why would Amel offer an inferior
option
when they have the trendy "retro" goldenrod sink and classic Johnson
& Johnson Bandaid brown gelcoat?

Is there a down side to the corian tops and white sink?

Is the warm water cockpit shower helpful?

Thanks for the replies, its great to see the site up and running
with
some very good input.
We opted for the Corian since we had put in an all white countertop
and sink in our Fla. condo about 3 years ago and have been very
pleased. You must never cut on it, always use a cutting board. I
have had no problems cleaning such things as red wine or anything
else with Bon Ami, which does not sctatch. My understanding is that
the alternative is gelcoat/fiberglass material. Do you think you can
put a hot pot on that without damage?

Jim Wiggin
Chuck, Tabitha, Joshua(10), Ariella(9), & August(8) Luecker

hollambyuk <hollamby@...>

-We have Bali Hai,Super Maramu No 319 which is 15 months old.We think
the standard galley work tops are fine although Anne would prefer a
S/S sink. However when we got the boat in La Rochelle we bought two
wooden carving boards 17 x 11.5 inches and eight 40mm rubber
doorstops at Carrefour which is a great French supermarket chain. We
pulled out the s/s bow handle on each board and fitted the door stops
as feet so that the top of the boards is a bit higher than the
worktop surrounds. Being wood they are impervious to hot pans and
double as a tray to put hot dishes on the dining table or serve as
cheese boards !
One essential extra which we did not know about is to have vinyl
windows welded into the Bimini over the helmsmans seat as mere
mortals will find it difficult/impossible to trim the sails from the
cockpit when they are not visible!! We were told that this is a nil
cost extra if ordered at the beginning but it is quite expensive to
have done later as the whole bimini has to be dismantled and
removed/replaced. The back curtain to the bimini is also essential in
inclement weather at sea or at anchor.
Regards from sunny Malta, Anne and John