Topics

Crossing Pirate Waters

Dave Ritten

I hate this spam advertising. It feels bad.

--
Dave Ritten
Auckland

The posting was removed, the person posting was talked to and their status set to "moderated."

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020, 1:33 AM Dave Ritten <daveritten@...> wrote:

I hate this spam advertising. It feels bad.

--
Dave Ritten
Auckland
Prospective SM Owner

Kelly Ran

FWIW I appreciated the original post. I bought Julie's first book and will consider buying the sequel. I had some minor quibbles with the first book, but in general, it was a pleasant read. I should think it pertains to all of our interests (and benefits us by raising Amel's profile).
Not sure how this is any different from others advertising their Amel-adjacent pursuits.
Thanks all!

kelly + ryan
SM233 Iteration
Boston

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 9:33 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
The posting was removed, the person posting was talked to and their status set to "moderated."

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020, 1:33 AM Dave Ritten <daveritten@...> wrote:

I hate this spam advertising. It feels bad.

--
Dave Ritten
Auckland
Prospective SM Owner

Brent Cameron

Ryan, I fully agree with you on this.  I also read her first book and found it quite interesting… especially the parts about buying the Amel  at the factory in La Rochelle and their very first experience in a Bay of Biscay storm taking it away and then learning more as they went on.  I don’t see any difference either with some of the other posts here as you suggest.  If it was a book about just sailing or something else and had no ties to Amel, then that would be different but, in my mind at least, it isn’t any different than other posters who loosely (in context) advertise their services or YouTube channels (which very often contain exactly the same kind of helpful advice as is found on these forums).  I do very much appreciate that we aren’t subjected to a lot of advertising here but a single post taking about a new book about a trip doing what many of us buy Amel’s for that took place on an Amel is not out of place and I think people were too quick to shut it down without also looking at all of the other similar posts that others have no issue with.   I think that anything that contributes to the brand or to our further understanding of the boats is fair game on these forums.    I like the posts talking about the surveys, sails, schools, brokerages, maintenance and even just sailing places videos.  Frankly, far more has already been written on this than the original post even took up.  Anyway, that’s my two cents.  For those who are triggered by these discussions, there is a link you can click when you first see the topic to “mute this topic” and you will never see anything on it (or Antennas if you like!) ever again.  LOL

Brent Cameron, Future Amel owner & Amel Owner's Registry Moderator

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

I also bought both books after seeing them advertised through this forum. Reading of another couple who sailed their Amel SM around the world is both informative and inspiring. After all this forum is about learning from other people’s experience and sharing information.

I support this form of advertisement.

Ross and Donna
SV INTREPID KIWI
SM2K #356
Currently located - Croatia

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, January 23, 2020, 5:26 pm, Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Brent,

I believe you were responding to me (Kelly), not my husband Ryan.  We're both active on this list.  Glad to hear we're in agreement, though.  LOL!

kelly (and ryan)
SM233 Iteration
Boston

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:26 AM Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian Riggs

I've got both books in my Amazon cart now, and I'm looking forward to reading them. I would have never known about these two books without the blurb on here. I'm throwing my hand up in support of this type of advertising as well. Everything else has already been said.

Cheer!
Brian Riggs
Future SM Owner
Hampton Roads Area

Brent Cameron

I’m sorry Kelly. I did mean you then!  I guess I’m used to seeing Ryan and made the leap. Nice to meet you!  Great minds and all that.....

Brent Cameron, Future Amel owner & Amel Owner's Registry Moderator

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Ian Townsend

Hi Kelly. Sorry we missed you guys in the Boston area this summer.

Not quite sure what is meant by other AMEL-adjacent pursuits. I have seen several forum members who are quite active, who provide much-needed free and timely  guidance to others, often help out when we need parts custom manufactured (and always provide this service at cost) or mention their relevant support services (after giving free advice). However, the post we are debating is form a source that is quite different. This was someone, not active on the forum, not an owner, who posted purely for selling reasons. This is what I take umbrage with.

Apologies if I have missed or misinterpreted something

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Bahamas

On Jan 23, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Kelly Ran <naryllek@...> wrote:

[...]

I do not think anyone argued the value of Julie's book. Some people wrote to me about it because they felt it was too commercial.  "Too" is in the mind of individuals i

We are currently working on a solution that will satisfy those for and against promoting commercial interests. We envision creating a sub-group for commercial postings that members would need to opt-in to the group.

I may be a few days or a few weeks.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Brian Riggs <7briggs@...> wrote:
I've got both books in my Amazon cart now, and I'm looking forward to reading them. I would have never known about these two books without the blurb on here. I'm throwing my hand up in support of this type of advertising as well. Everything else has already been said.

Cheer!
Brian Riggs
Future SM Owner
Hampton Roads Area

Mark Pitt

I am with Brian and most of the others in support of Julie's posting.  Her book is about sailing an Amel and that makes all of the difference.  I too would not have known about it without her first post many months ago. I bought her book and enjoyed reading it in part due to the Amel angle.

   Mark Pitt

Sabbatical III, SM#419

On 1/23/2020 4:48 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:
[...]

Mark Erdos

My 2 cents on this:

I prefer not to have my feed from this group junked up with people selling Amel shirts, books on Amel travels, blogs with Amel owners, video channels featuring Amels etc.

While I’m sure Julie is a nice person and is passionate about her book, this is not the forum for self-promotion. She needs to establish a commercial fund to promote her book rather than trying the self promote “free” route at our expense. She can, at no-charge start a fan-club page on FaceBook, promote her page using paid ads and grow her membership. People wishing to follow her awaiting for the trilogy can do so.

This is what is stated on the front page of our group:

This Group frowns on commercial postings, however we encourage postings which will genuinely help Amel owners source needed parts and services. We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. Care should be taken to not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor. Please refrain from political issues, rude, or inappropriate language. Please refrain from criticism of persons or businesses which you may have experienced unsatisfactory results, because it would be one-sided, without the ability of the other side to respond.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

I am with Brian and most of the others in support of Julie's posting.  Her book is about sailing an Amel and that makes all of the difference.  I too would not have known about it without her first post many months ago. I bought her book and enjoyed reading it in part due to the Amel angle.

   Mark Pitt

Sabbatical III, SM#419

On 1/23/2020 4:48 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:

I do not think anyone argued the value of Julie's book. Some people wrote to me about it because they felt it was too commercial.  "Too" is in the mind of individuals i

We are currently working on a solution that will satisfy those for and against promoting commercial interests. We envision creating a sub-group for commercial postings that members would need to opt-in to the group.

I may be a few days or a few weeks.

--

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Brian Riggs <7briggs@...> wrote:

I've got both books in my Amazon cart now, and I'm looking forward to reading them. I would have never known about these two books without the blurb on here. I'm throwing my hand up in support of this type of advertising as well. Everything else has already been said.

Cheer!

Brian Riggs

Future SM Owner

Hampton Roads Area

Paul Brown

I too support maintaining focus of this groups postings, the group is undoubtably a great resource and to receive valuable information with every post, however as there is so much email traffic regarding helpful hints and great Amel owner information, commercial and social communication between few members cause email traffic that should not be shared and cloud us as receivers, as there is no way to filter what is regarded as junk to many.

Kind regards, Paul - FORTUNA II Amel 55/#17

On 24 Jan 2020, at 08:36, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

<image001.jpg>
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Brian Riggs <7briggs@...> wrote:
I've got both books in my Amazon cart now, and I'm looking forward to reading them. I would have never known about these two books without the blurb on here. I'm throwing my hand up in support of this type of advertising as well. Everything else has already been said.

Cheer!
Brian Riggs
Future SM Owner
Hampton Roads Area

David Cummane

Mark and Paul.  Spot on.    More respect for ‘moderator’ Bill wouldn’t go amiss either.  The forum is a non commercial, excellent resource for Amel owners, being information based and apolitical, with clear guidelines for use.  Opinions on so called commercial enterprises are irrelevant and should be barred.

Quite galling also to read non-amel owners inappropriately throwing their weight around.  Should the forum be restricted to owners only?

David

Ker Marie
SM#101

On 23 Jan 2020, at 21:36, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Davi Rozgonyi

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 04:50 PM, David Cummane wrote:
Quite galling also to read non-amel owners inappropriately throwing their weight around.  Should the forum be restricted to owners only?

There isn't so much traffic on it that it bothers me. And any on here are probably looking to buy an amel, and as some of us are selling their amels, maybe allowing amel owners and serious wannabes is not such a bad thing.

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Thanks for your excellent idea Bill of creating a subgroup (hopefully an easily clickable tab?) which we could all click on to see anything which could be thought to have a  "commercial" focus, but yet be totally Amel related, and interesting/helpful/useful to owners who see it. This could possibly have a weekly or monthly summary feed into the main group, or simply be left for us to wander over and have a look from time to time.

We are all different, and that is a good thing as we have such a diverse group of passionate owners here. In our case, we actually often enjoy seeing any useful Amel related "commercial" type postings and for example, look forward to actually purchasing and reading this book to compare it with our own circumnavigation.

As usual, though, Bill has been swift in taking a stand, and then on reflection, quickly offer an even a better solution that would enhance this group even more. Thank you Bill!

For more than ten years now we have been members of this incredible group of passionate Amel owners. Over this time, especially going back 7-9 years, there have been many occasions where we have all seen Bill quickly and fearlessly step in, and take a stand in the interests of the wider group, to keep things moving forward and in the right direction. There are others here too who have done similarly, and that is in our opinion why this group has become such an incredible resource and actually and enhancement to the entire Amel Brand, even with the new direction today. To Bill and the others, THANK YOU!

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, sm #332 Brisbane, Australia

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:40 PM Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 04:50 PM, David Cummane wrote:
Quite galling also to read non-amel owners inappropriately throwing their weight around.  Should the forum be restricted to owners only?

There isn't so much traffic on it that it bothers me. And any on here are probably looking to buy an amel, and as some of us are selling their amels, maybe allowing amel owners and serious wannabes is not such a bad thing.

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Thanks Colin.

I don't really deserve that praise. I am simply a guy who sailed an Amel, came to love the Amel brand, and is a little hardheaded.

The sub-group idea came from Mark McGovern, owner of SM CARA. And BTW, it was Mark who found Groups.io. Mark is also the guy that manufacturers several Amel parts that Amel no longer supplies.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020, 7:49 PM islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:
[...]

Many thanks to you too then Mark McGovern. So pleased to see this group going from strength to strength with new blood stepping up and volunteering to take us forward. Well done!.

With our long-planned circumnavigation completed,  we will be selling our ocean capable SM2000 soon since we will be land-based only and working for the next 5 years, but we plan to purchase a smaller Amel 48 or 50 in the Med again in around 2025 for a few years local cruising there, so we will remain avid group members.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 12:44 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Orion Martin

Respectfully, I totally disagree with this comment. You were once a non-Amel owner...

I’m glad Bill has the good sense to find a solution i.e a subgroup for commercial postings. Thank you Bill for your work in keeping the Amel owners group going and keeping it inclusive for all interested participants.

David Cummane

My small efforts to reduce spam type messages, unsigned,  were clearly futile.

During one period of my life I wore diapers.  I wasn’t o member of this forum then either.

David
Ker Marie
SM#101