Topics

Cruise and Max RPM #solution

JOSE PRIETO

Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hello,

Amel put an too big AUTOPROP propeller on SM with TMD22 so the maximum  power was approximately 40 HP .... and the RPM on best sea and boat condition was 2 000 - 2 200 RPM.

To go over put a smaller prop !

Dr JL MERTZ

CottonBay

Le 25/06/2020 à 16:10, JOSE PRIETO a écrit :

Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

Thomas Peacock

This is question without a definitive answer.
We also have the TMD22. When we bought our boat (about 4 years used), we could get almost 3,000 rpm at max throttle. Our local diesel guy suggested cruising at 80% of max, or 2,400. Our max started to lessen within about a year.
Ever since then, we have usually not been able to max out at 3,000. Usually max is 2,400 to 2,600, so we cruise at 80% of that.
Issues affecting max cruise rpm include bottom, prop (even one barnacle can make a difference), turbo condition, and countless others.
I suppose that, just like me, the Volvo has also lost a little mojo as it has aged.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

with its tiny keyboard

On Jun 25, 2020, at 10:10 AM, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

Ryan Meador

We have the TMD22 with a fixed 3-blade prop (the original spare, I think).  When we first got the boat, we could rev to about 3000, and we cruised at about 2400.  This season we could only get up to about 2100 even with a freshly cleaned bottom and prop.  I discovered the turbo had seized, which seemed like the obvious cause, but nothing changed after we had it replaced.  I'm trying to find a fuel problem, as that's the only other thing that might explain it, as far as I know.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:55 AM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
[...]

Patrick McAneny

Ryan, Have tried  to manually advance the throttle. Perhaps the throttle linkage /cable may have slipped in the engine compartment. I have the TMD22a and max out at 3100 rpms with a fixed prop or my Maxprop, which gets me to 8.3 kts.
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123

[...]

Hi Pat,

I have not tried that.  I will look into it.  There is still plenty of travel left on the throttle lever when we hit 2100 RPM, it's just that pushing it farther has no effect.  This makes me think something is preventing the engine from turning faster, but I will check to rule out the throttle linkage.  Thanks for the tip!

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:27 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, the proper max rpm under load for the TMD 22 Volvo as installed in the Amel SM is 2800. ( no load 4500) The turbo has what is called a waste gate which automatically controls the amount of exhaust gas going through the turbo as rpm increases. If this is stuck closed (will happen) the motor will rev much higher, even up to 4000 rpm and beyond. This is caused by over turbo pressure into the engine which will cause damage to the pistons and rings which in turn will reduce the power the motor can develop and result in lower revs and the need for either an overhaul or replacement.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 26 June 2020 at 02:10 JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

JOSE PRIETO

Thank you all for your opinions!

Unbelievable the possibility of a bad propeller dimensioning by Amel!
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

karkauai

Hi Jose,
Congratulations on your new Amel, and welcome to the Amel family.

If you search this forum you will find several threads about this problem.  I had a TMD22 on Kristy, SM243 that I bought in 2009 when she had 3000 hours of engine time.. I could only get her up to 22-2300 rpm. I spent thousands trying to get the rpm up to 3000. All mechanics said the engine was fine, except for the fact that the turbo was fouled and had to be replaced, repaired, and replaced again in the first 3000 hours (A result of running at low rpm).They all thought it was over-propped.  I told them that it was the original H6 prop and the original fixed spare prop supplied by Amel.  When I called Brunton (AutoProp company), they told me it was what they recommend for a SM with 100HP Yanmar. When I asked Amel about it, they said they sold SMs with the same prop for both engines, and said that it worked fine with the TMD22.

Clean hull and prop, if all seems OK except the rpms, service the prop first. Even if the blades spin freely, others have said that servicing the prop solved the problem.
If that doesn't solve it, check the engine for common problems. Fuel, Air, compression, valve lash, turbo function, exhaust elbow constriction...
If everything checks out OK, consider trying your fixed spare prop, if it still won't get up to 3000rpm, have that prop checked by a good prop shop with your boat's specs and see what they think about its size and pitch for your boat. I was told that my spare prop was also significantly over pitched and oversized.  I had it cut down and repitched to their recommendations.  Voila! 3000rpm.  The Auto Prop of 1999 vintage could not be altered, so I bought a MaxProp and have been very happy with it for 6 years. When I repowered a year later, I was able to repitch the MaxProp for the new 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 25, 2020 10:10 AM, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:
Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain
Q me s me

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hello

For those who wish to put a much more powerful engine check (with AMEL)  the compatibility with the bevel gear (sail drive) which can then be largely undersized ....

CottonBay

SM316

Le 26/06/2020 à 13:08, karkauai via groups.io a écrit :
[...]

Gary Wells

Hi :)
I'm seeing a lot of good advice here and just wanted to pipe in with our experience as well.
The H6 is a pretty awesome prop and it's fairly bullet proof.
As mentioned, if you can get it to a service place they can pretty much rebuild and perfect is (I have a recommendation in the VA/MD area if you need it.
When I sent my prop in for service, it was after a couple of other refurbishments, including re-burnishing the bearing races.  Once we got the races replaced it was a smoother run.  The tech said the prop was still in great shape overall and that it shouldn't need to be replaced for 10 or 12 more years.

On the RPM subject, at full throttle we get about 2700-2800 rpm when things are all clean and smooth .. note that if the boat is stationary .. as in stuck in a sandbar .. (another story ...) then our motor will reach 3,000 rpm. So, boat speed and the H6 are joined a bit.
One "test" is maybe be going 2 or 3 knots then slip it into reverse gear and go full throttle .. you know, like when that bozo in the bathtub tacks in front of you?
When the prop goes full flat, I think that's when you can see Max rpm.

I'm a bit contrary on the 80% number, maybe just cause I'm stingy.. but we will normally cruise (like, if we have a day or two of solid motoring) at a lower rpm to conserve fuel.  Every boat is different, and we have a very "experienced" TMD22b (6500hrs) so I baby it a lot.
1800-1900rpm is our normal cruise with 1750 being a "max econ" giving us around 6kts at 4lph.  We do the periodic run ups, but if you're at full operating temp our motor seems pretty happy to cruise along at about 65% or so with good mileage and no oil usage.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Cape Charles, VA USA

Denis Foster

Hello,

Has anyone heard of a refit using the Yanmar 4LHTE 110HP that is a bigger engine (3.5L) probably with more torque to handle big props?
Although not sure dimensions fit.

Denis
Madinina Ex Meltem#32

Envoyé de mon iPhone

karkauai

I repowered SM 243 with the Yanmar 4JH4HTE 110HP. It fit nicely with only requirement new shims for alignment and cutting away small semicircle of the angle iron support to allow for the oil filter.  It is a basic Diesel without all the fancy electronics that make them hard to work on.
Do check with Amel about your C-drive to make sure it is of the newer, more robust vintage. If older vintage it might not handle the higher horsepower.

Kent and Iris
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 26, 2020 9:31 AM, Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone heard of a refit using the Yanmar 4LHTE 110HP that is a bigger engine (3.5L) probably with more torque to handle big props?
Although not sure dimensions fit.

Denis
Madinina Ex Meltem#32

Envoyé de mon iPhone

eric freedman

hi,
how about a 4jh4hte also110hp.
eric
sm376 kimberlite

On June 26, 2020 at 9:31 AM Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone heard of a refit using the Yanmar 4LHTE 110HP that is a bigger engine (3.5L) probably with more torque to handle big props?
Although not sure dimensions fit.

Denis
Madinina Ex Meltem#32

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Marco Mancini

dears,

the TMD22 with the mechanical gearbox (2,8 reduction factor) and the autoprop h6 was probably  never reached in our 20 years of SM  more than 2500 2600 rpm ,
The TMD22 engine characteristic curve show that the 78 hp ( the max power) is obtained at 3500 - 4200 rpm  but at 2500 the curve show 40 hp and the boat has never reached more than 7.5 knots
Now we have moved to the yanmar 110 cv,  the new version of the yanmar 100) with gearbox with 2.3 rduction factor   (midway betwenn the 1.97 of amel 54 with 110 volvo and  2.8 of the yanmar 100 )  that is  the new version  of the well known  Yanmar 100 cv  installed by Amel  after the TMD22. In Italy due to a severe restrictions of  omologation certificate we had also to afford the cost of new homologation certificate but we hare happy with this change . indeed the boat seems to go much better, it has a cruise speed of 8,5  at 2300 rpm over 3200rpm ( max engine regime)  and also in the manoeuvres she is more prompt than before .
cheers and good wind .
marco mancini
SM 304

Il giorno 25 giu 2020, alle ore 16:55, Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Hi Marco,
Are you still using the AutoProp H6 with the new engine?  If yes, did you have it modified in any way?

Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 5, 2020 1:18 PM, Marco Mancini <marcomancini61@...> wrote:
[...]

Did your mechanic Isolate the 12-volt negative?
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 1:10 PM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Kent, we are using the same h6 was setted up by amel for the previuos TMD22 without modification. I discussed for a while with the Autoprop dealer for the defintion of the 2,3 gearbox ratio  becouse I thought in the beginning to use the same gearbox ratio of the other yanmar 100 cv installed on the SM . But this new version ( 110cv) run at maximum only at 3200 rpm instead of the 3800 rpm so we needed a smaller ratio.  The engine at its maxum reach all the 3200 rpm . Indeed the boat runs to above 9,2 Knots but she goes above her  critical velocity that with the usual formula is  8,7  knots . From what my brother is describing to me  ( I leave in Milan ) there are not vibration and the engine is very silent .
cheers
marco

Il giorno 05 lug 2020, alle ore 20:09, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Bill it is nice to have your comment .
I have to check for this .
What do you mean ? I think I don’t have sufficient knoweldge about your question.  May please provide me additiional info ?
as you may image we carry 2 alternators one for the 12 volt engine / onan battery charger ant another one at 24 volt for the other batteries.
cheers

Il giorno 05 lug 2020, alle ore 21:30, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Bill Shaproski

I have a 1995 Amel SM with a TMD22A and a MaxProp.  I used a max cruising speed of 2,000 RPM when doing my circumnavigation, but usually tried to keep it at 1800RPM.  I have cruised at 2600 RPM plus in an emergency for about 30 minutes, but the engine did get very hot.  Hope this helps.  I arrived at the 2,000RPM number by listening to the prior owner's advice.

Regards,
Bill Shaproski
S/v Pacific Cool
206-375-2787

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:10 AM JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:
Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323