Topics

Cruise and Max RPM #solution

karkauai

Hi Jose,
Congratulations on your new Amel, and welcome to the Amel family.

If you search this forum you will find several threads about this problem.  I had a TMD22 on Kristy, SM243 that I bought in 2009 when she had 3000 hours of engine time.. I could only get her up to 22-2300 rpm. I spent thousands trying to get the rpm up to 3000. All mechanics said the engine was fine, except for the fact that the turbo was fouled and had to be replaced, repaired, and replaced again in the first 3000 hours (A result of running at low rpm).They all thought it was over-propped.  I told them that it was the original H6 prop and the original fixed spare prop supplied by Amel.  When I called Brunton (AutoProp company), they told me it was what they recommend for a SM with 100HP Yanmar. When I asked Amel about it, they said they sold SMs with the same prop for both engines, and said that it worked fine with the TMD22.

Clean hull and prop, if all seems OK except the rpms, service the prop first. Even if the blades spin freely, others have said that servicing the prop solved the problem.
If that doesn't solve it, check the engine for common problems. Fuel, Air, compression, valve lash, turbo function, exhaust elbow constriction...
If everything checks out OK, consider trying your fixed spare prop, if it still won't get up to 3000rpm, have that prop checked by a good prop shop with your boat's specs and see what they think about its size and pitch for your boat. I was told that my spare prop was also significantly over pitched and oversized.  I had it cut down and repitched to their recommendations.  Voila! 3000rpm.  The Auto Prop of 1999 vintage could not be altered, so I bought a MaxProp and have been very happy with it for 6 years. When I repowered a year later, I was able to repitch the MaxProp for the new 110HP Yanmar 4JH4HTE.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 25, 2020 10:10 AM, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:
Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

JOSE PRIETO

Thank you all for your opinions!

Unbelievable the possibility of a bad propeller dimensioning by Amel!
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, the proper max rpm under load for the TMD 22 Volvo as installed in the Amel SM is 2800. ( no load 4500) The turbo has what is called a waste gate which automatically controls the amount of exhaust gas going through the turbo as rpm increases. If this is stuck closed (will happen) the motor will rev much higher, even up to 4000 rpm and beyond. This is caused by over turbo pressure into the engine which will cause damage to the pistons and rings which in turn will reduce the power the motor can develop and result in lower revs and the need for either an overhaul or replacement.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 26 June 2020 at 02:10 JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

Ryan Meador

Hi Pat,

I have not tried that.  I will look into it.  There is still plenty of travel left on the throttle lever when we hit 2100 RPM, it's just that pushing it farther has no effect.  This makes me think something is preventing the engine from turning faster, but I will check to rule out the throttle linkage.  Thanks for the tip!

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:27 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ryan, Have tried  to manually advance the throttle. Perhaps the throttle linkage /cable may have slipped in the engine compartment. I have the TMD22a and max out at 3100 rpms with a fixed prop or my Maxprop, which gets me to 8.3 kts.
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123