Topics

cruisers of "Brick House" need help in Capetown

Symphony

Hi Amelians,
I don't know if you heard that the circumnavigating couple on "Brick House" are in trouble in South Africa.  Patrick Childress contracted coronavirus and has been in ICU for 21 days.  He is receiving excellent care there, but the couple's insurance company, Azimuth Risk Solutions, suddenly declared that they covered nothing during a pandemic and denied all coverage or compensation.  A friend of the Childress's started a GoFundMe page which has all the particulars and updates.

As a COVID survivor myself, I reached out to Rebecca Childress to offer my experience and comfort.  Her husband, Patrick is still hospitalized in ICU but has some slight improvement. It would be wonderful if more sailors could post moral support or a little $$ on the GoFundMe page.

I heard the details of the denial of claim by Azimuth Risk Solutions, the Indiana company who sold the Childresses their international medical coverage. I was shocked at the sudden changing terms and reduced coverage this unethical company is trying to pull off ex post facto.  Rebecca's father has contacted attorneys for help but the entire affair has added incredible stress to a heartbreaking situation.

We've had a lot of valuable information shared about boat insurance here already, now maybe some of you can gain more info about health insurance in general and Azimuth in particular.

Richard
Vicem 58 "Songbird"
New Haven, CT

Billy Newport

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Matt Salatino

We use Travelex. Insurance is not so expensive outside the US.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jun 8, 2020, at 2:14 PM, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Porter McRoberts

He just died. I read on FB. That’s a real shame.

DAN diver insurance is excellent. They have two forms. Repatriation insurance and regular health insurance for travelers.

Porter McRoberts
A54-152

On Jun 8, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Teun BAAS

Sorry hearing  Patrick died.

DAN - agree but wonder also what my renewal will look like next year.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

He just died. I read on FB. That’s a real shame.

DAN diver insurance is excellent. They have two forms. Repatriation insurance and regular health insurance for travelers.

Porter McRoberts
A54-152

On Jun 8, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Mark Erdos

Porter, when we looked into DAN, it was only for 6 months at a time an then the person had to return to the USA. Has that changed?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

He just died. I read on FB. That’s a real shame.

DAN diver insurance is excellent. They have two forms. Repatriation insurance and regular health insurance for travelers.

Porter McRoberts

A54-152

On Jun 8, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Teun BAAS

Mark,

I buy usually for a year: VOYAGER plan – paid January 21, 2020 USD913 per year.

Not aware of a requirement of having to return to USA.

Going to their website just now and this is what I get:

QUOTE

DAN has temporarily suspended sales of travel insurance plans. Neither Annual Travel nor Per-Trip plans are available for purchase at this time. We look forward to introducing new DAN travel insurance plans in the near future.

If you need to make changes to or have questions about an existing policy, please contact DAN Member Services at +1 (800) 446-2671, Option 3.

UNQUOTE

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

I am stuck in PHOENIX AZ USA

AMELIT is on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

June 8, 2020 10:53:19

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

He just died. I read on FB. That’s a real shame.

DAN diver insurance is excellent. They have two forms. Repatriation insurance and regular health insurance for travelers.

Porter McRoberts

A54-152

On Jun 8, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Mark Erdos

Billy,

There are a lot of good options for healthcare outside of the USA. We pay as we go for minor stuff and have a catastrophic policy for anything really bad. This can run about US$1,500 per year with a $10,000 deductable. Healthcare outside of the USA is very affordable and in many cases just as good or better than the USA. We have had no issues finding English speaking doctors.

Learn to shop outside of the USA for insurance coverage. There are reputable companies such as Aetna (UK) among many others who offer polices for world-wide healthcare insurance. They exclude the USA because to the idiotic system.

As with most insurance, you need to be aware of scams. A quick Google search of Azimuth Risk Solutions reveals they are scammers. Go with a recognized company and do your homework – all will be okay.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

That's one of my big worries when we start cruising next year, medical coverage that's affordable. Rest of world policies seem to be the only affordable options. I see the cigna geo explorer plans, is that what people use?

Porter McRoberts

I don’t recall that being a requirement. We got it in panama before heading to FP. They took our $$!  I’ll look into it. Hopefully we’ll be in need of it again in the future!!!!!

Porter
A54-152.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone