Topics

Curtain Sizes for SM2000


briantrautman@ymail.com
 

I'm wondering if anyone has the dimensions of the interior curtains for a Super Maramu (Forward Cabin, Salon, and Aft Cabin). I want to make new ones but unfortunately neglected to take measurements before I put her away last season.

Thanks!
Brian Trautman
S\V Delos SM#303


Richard May
 

Hi Brian,

I know your post on curtains is 7+ years old but I am looking for some advice on fabric selection. Sailrite recommends using an acrylic fabric like Sunbrella. Did you use that type? Did you use a UV liner as well? I am worried about the weight of the curtains creating too much bunching behind the fans and sconces, especially in the aft cabin but want the curtains to be long lasting. How are your curtains holding up? Any advice you have would be much appreciated :)

Richard and I just took delivery of Super Maramu hull #477. It looks like the original curtains from 2005 throughout the interior. It looks/feels to me that the original curtains are a cotton/poly blend with a canvas type, possibly UV liner. The liners of the curtains are rotting so I am looking at redoing all the curtains. 

Best regards,

Kathy May
SV Avogato


Karen Smith
 

Kathy,

The face fabric for the curtains on our SM Harmonie are the original synthetic velour-like upholstery fabric that Amel used throughout the interior.  The curtains are a very simple construction of fabric inside, with a UV proof lining facing the window hemmed around the edges.  After 25 years of sun exposure several of the linings had disintegrated.  We simply ripped the seams along the edges and replaced it.  Looks like new.

Bill & Karen
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA


 

Kathy has SM2k drapery which is a cotton print with an expected life of 10-12 years. That cotton print is no longer available because cotton prints have a design lifetime of 1-2 years, then replaced with something new by the manufacturer. The cotton print was preceded with a Woven Draylon Velvet which will likely last 100 years.😀

Karen is correct. Making these draperies is very straightforward and I believe almost anyone with a simple sewing machine can make them. Use UV Blackout liner fabric.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:43 AM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kathy,

The face fabric for the curtains on our SM Harmonie are the original synthetic velour-like upholstery fabric that Amel used throughout the interior.  The curtains are a very simple construction of fabric inside, with a UV proof lining facing the window hemmed around the edges.  After 25 years of sun exposure several of the linings had disintegrated.  We simply ripped the seams along the edges and replaced it.  Looks like new.

Bill & Karen
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA


Denise McGovern
 

The curtains on the latter model SMs was a blue and yellow stripe with a UV backing.  Ours faded, likely from washing by a previous owner because they were slightly shrunk too.   I used an outdoor fabric because I liked it and backed it with Roc-Lon blackout liner.

If you make your own replacements, I recommend you follow your own measurements and don't use the old ones as a template (because of the above mentioned shrinking).  I would also checkout some of the new fabrics that are blackout built-in so no need to line.

Photo is from our cabin and yes, I like the crazy fabric, it's a bit dark back there.

Denise
Super Maramu #440
Deale, MD, USA


VICTOR MOLERO
 

We have just replaced the curtains (for decoration purposes) and the old ones are in very good conditions. I am happy so give them to anyone who may want them. Contact me in private if anyone wants them.
Victor 
SM314 Alendoy


Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
 

Hi Victor we would be very interested in your curtains as we really like them and wish to keep them on our Amel.

We are currently located in Turkey

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
southernadvenrurer@... 
SV Intrepid Kiwi 
SM2K #356

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 11:43 am, VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:

We have just replaced the curtains (for decoration purposes) and the old ones are in very good conditions. I am happy so give them to anyone who may want them. Contact me in private if anyone wants them.
Victor 
SM314 Alendoy


Richard May
 

Thank you Karen. So you just replaced the liner? Are you still using the original wrinkle band and the bean shaped curtain clips?
Bill Rouse speaks the truth, I have the blue and yellow cotton type fabric that has some mold in places. I am probably going to go with a polyester/polypropylene fabric: https://www.sailrite.com/Covington-SD-Tide-Pool-Isle-Waters-54-Fabric?t=1614533071774
I plan to get the same UV liner that Bill suggested: https://www.sailrite.com/Europatex-Eclipse-White-55-Blackout-Drapery-Fabric-Fabric?t=1614533133325
The only bean sprout curtain hooks that Sailrite has are metal and not well rated. I am unsure about reusing the 16 year old plastic hooks. Anyone know where to find new plastic ones of the same size?

Much thanks,

Kathy
SM 477, Avogato


 

Kathy,

I bought some "Curtain Carriers Eyelet Style" from Sailrite that worked. This is what I am 99% sure I bought: https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=Curtain%20Carriers%20Eyelet%20Style

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM Richard May via groups.io <airwisrich2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you Karen. So you just replaced the liner? Are you still using the original wrinkle band and the bean shaped curtain clips?
Bill Rouse speaks the truth, I have the blue and yellow cotton type fabric that has some mold in places. I am probably going to go with a polyester/polypropylene fabric: https://www.sailrite.com/Covington-SD-Tide-Pool-Isle-Waters-54-Fabric?t=1614533071774
I plan to get the same UV liner that Bill suggested: https://www.sailrite.com/Europatex-Eclipse-White-55-Blackout-Drapery-Fabric-Fabric?t=1614533133325
The only bean sprout curtain hooks that Sailrite has are metal and not well rated. I am unsure about reusing the 16 year old plastic hooks. Anyone know where to find new plastic ones of the same size?

Much thanks,

Kathy
SM 477, Avogato


Denise McGovern
 

I bought wrinkle tape and hooks from Curtain Tracks.  The hooks are Recmar 4140 https://www.curtain-tracks.com/recmar-4140-plastic-wrinkle-band-curtain-hook.html 

Denise
s/v CARA SM 440


Bill Kinney
 

Kathy,  

We replaced ONLY the liner fabric.  No special brand, just a standard curtain-liner, UV resistant, opaque fabric, from the local sewing store. The price was right! All the hardware was either left in place, or reinstalled as needed.  So we have no useful information on replacement hardware.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA


Doug Smith
 

I was able to replace the track sliders with the following from Amazon.

DMSE Wholesale Ball Head Carrier Curtain Carriers Glides Sliders Slide, and Rollers (56 Pack)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G2Y1F9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

 

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Richard May via groups.io" <airwisrich2000@...>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 12:29 PM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Curtain Sizes for SM2000

 

Thank you Karen. So you just replaced the liner? Are you still using the original wrinkle band and the bean shaped curtain clips?
Bill Rouse speaks the truth, I have the blue and yellow cotton type fabric that has some mold in places. I am probably going to go with a polyester/polypropylene fabric: https://www.sailrite.com/Covington-SD-Tide-Pool-Isle-Waters-54-Fabric?t=1614533071774
I plan to get the same UV liner that Bill suggested: https://www.sailrite.com/Europatex-Eclipse-White-55-Blackout-Drapery-Fabric-Fabric?t=1614533133325
The only bean sprout curtain hooks that Sailrite has are metal and not well rated. I am unsure about reusing the 16 year old plastic hooks. Anyone know where to find new plastic ones of the same size?

Much thanks,

Kathy
SM 477, Avogato


Richard May
 

Since I bought the Recmar wrinkle band plastic hooks (heard the metal ones can break the plastic holder plus need to be re-bent) for the window curtains that Karen mentioned from Curtain-Tracks, I also bought the Recmar eye slides from them for the closet curtains. https://www.curtain-tracks.com/recmar-3050-abs-plastic-eye-slide.html

Thanks everyone!

Kathy May
SM #477, Avogato