D3-110 Starter Earthing Relay Part Number Request

Dean Gillies

Hi folks,
Today we launched Stella after almost 2 years on the hard. Tried to start the motor ... nogo!

I believe I've traced the problem to the Earthing Relay whose job seems to be to momentarily connect the Starter Battery negative to the engine block, thereby allowing the starter motor to spin up.

This relay is specific to the isolated ground wiring, and so doesn't appear in any of the Volvo parts manuals and wiring diagrams that I've found. Does anyone know the part number for this component?

Many thanks
Dean
SV Stella A54-154

Dominique Sery

Hello Dean,
it’s a Valeo CEY 14 (c3212)
Dominique
Irko A54#16

Dean Gillies

Thanks Dominique,
Is this fitted to a D3-110?  The one I have on #154 seems to be a Volvo part, but I just can't see the part number.
It would be nice to know that it fits directly on the D3-110.

I'm going to short it out with a strap later this morning and try to get the engine started that way.

Best regards
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Dominique Sery

Yes, fitted on a D3-110.
There is a rubber push button under the Valeo that you can hold pushing trying to start.

The push button make a manual contact between both big wires. If your engine starts when you make a manual contact, the solenoid has a problem.
You can remove it and open it (remove the two small screws and after remove the plastic cap) You can adjust the contact (there is a nut between two springs).
I did that last week.
The solenoid is under the 12 v alternator
Dominique

Dominique Sery

The solenoid under the 12 v alternator

Dean Gillies

HI Dominique,
Thanks for confirming that.  My solenoid does not have this button, but it is definitely faulty. I shorted across the main terminals and the engine now cranks but does not run. It turns over very slowly and the battery is struggling to hold the voltage up. I am now charging the battery.

I will order a new solenoid, and clean up all the terminals. The water pump over the top of the alternator and this solenoid is not a great layout!

Best regards
Dean
SV Stella A54-154

Dominique Sery

Totally agree with you, the seawater pump is really badly placed
Dominique

ngtnewington Newington

As for the water pump located above the 12v alternator. There is a shelf or drip tray under the raw water pump. I place a dark napkin under the pump on this tray. When, not if, the pump starts to drip you will see white salt crystals on the napkin. Time to change the pump seals.
In my experience it always happens gradually. Only if you ignore the drip will the alternator get salty wet..
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Skylos Gr

On 24 Jul 2021, at 15:05, Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery@...> wrote:

Totally agree with you, the seawater pump is really badly placed
Dominique

Dean Gillies

Nick, great idea. Do you do anything special to prevent the napkin from moving/falling?

I'm not impressed with the impact of almost two years on the hardstand in Scotland.  I have a bunch of "stuck" systems around the boat needing stripped down or replaced, and it's proving difficult to buy Corrosion-X locally. On the bright side, the weather is fab here right now and my new hybrid lithium/lead power system is working superbly.

Cheers
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

ngtnewington Newington

I use a thick napkin that sort of stays in place. I just check it as I do the oil dip stick and general running checks.
Last year there were a few crystals. I decided to buy a new pump and kit.
I fitted the new pump and serviced the old with new bearings and seals. Eventually the shaft will get a wear groove. One can buy a new shaft too, if required.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
Northern Sporades

On 25 Jul 2021, at 15:17, Dean Gillies <stella@...> wrote:

Nick, great idea. Do you do anything special to prevent the napkin from moving/falling?

I'm not impressed with the impact of almost two years on the hardstand in Scotland.  I have a bunch of "stuck" systems around the boat needing stripped down or replaced, and it's proving difficult to buy Corrosion-X locally. On the bright side, the weather is fab here right now and my new hybrid lithium/lead power system is working superbly.

Cheers
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Dean

On my A54-55 the Mass-Relais has the Number 860877-0. I ordered a new one at GWEN Marine in France and got the message that the new number is 872242.

Generally most or all Volvo Penta dealers are not aware of this Relais and don’t know it. They can’t find the number in their parts list. It seems to be an Amel specific Volvo part and can not be order at SAV neither. GWEN Marine is the Volvo dealer in France who delivers most VP to AMEL.

I have done some research on specific VP Parts for the AMEL D3-110 (Sensor, etc) and will send out to the Forum a list & information about it when I’m back on my computer Tuesday 27.7. (the specified Relais is one of these parts).

If it’s urgent for you Dean, I can try to send you something (picture and order info) in a separate e-mail or whatsup. I’m traveling right now w/o my laptop and have limited access. Just trop a msg on my whatsup phone # is +41794018847

Best regards
Ruedi
WASABI A54-55
Valencia

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 25.07.2021 um 15:54 schrieb ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>:

[...]

Hi Ruedi,
Thank you for closing that loop for me. It is now clear that the new Volvo part number 872242, is in fact exactly the same Valeo relay suggested below by Dominique.  I have found a source for this relay in the UK which I will order tomorrow.

Trust you and Sabine are well. Will drop you an email offline to catchup.

Best regards
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154