D Marin Corfu (aka: Gouvia Marina)

Paul Filgiano

Hello all,

Can anyone comment on whether the D Marin in Corfu is a recommended place to winter a boat?  Would anyone also have recommended contacts there?  Are there any recommended alternatives in Corfu or nearby?  We are looking at the winter of 2023-2024.

Paul and Christine Filgiano
SV Christine, A55, #29

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey there, are you wintering ON the boat, or just a place to keep her in the water? We spent two excellent winters in Mandraki port, the tiny venetian harbor under the big castle, for pennies. As in one of the cheapest ports in the Med as far as I could tell (1200 euros for 6 months). It doesn't look like much protection, but it is 100 percent safe from all directions. We went through a few 50 knot storms and one 90 knot downburst without any damage to any boat or even much swell, zero surge ever, and the guys who run it are great. They're around every day in winter (it's a sailing club) so your boat is always looked after. There are about 40 boats without owners onboard and usually 5-8 boats living aboard. It's 5 minutes walk through the UNesco castle to get to the center of Corfu; aesthetically it's the prettiest port we've stayed in 5 years on the boat. Andreas is the harbormaster if you call up, tell them Wake sent you ;)

Peter Forbes

Paul,

We overwintered in Gouvia and found it excellent.

There is an Amel experienced mechanic there called Wolfgang Bbauman on: loupe@....

Peter

Peter Forbes
Amel 54 035
Lymington
07836 209730

On 19 Jul 2022, at 01:55, Paul Filgiano <Filgiano@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Can anyone comment on whether the D Marin in Corfu is a recommended place to winter a boat?  Would anyone also have recommended contacts there?  Are there any recommended alternatives in Corfu or nearby?  We are looking at the winter of 2023-2024.

Paul and Christine Filgiano
SV Christine, A55, #29

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Bruno COTTE

It is a good option but I prefered marina di Ragusa in Sicily . More people in winter very secure day and night and fresh underwater sources in marina which means a bottom quite totally clean after 6 months . But Corfu is a good option

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 19 juil. 2022 à 07:36, Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> a écrit :

[...]

Don't forget about www.yachtclassichotel.com for in the water. Paul, you are close enough to go there and visit with the owner, Banu. Tell her Bill and Judy from Amel BeBe said hello.

One winter we were there with 5 Amels and also Russell Crowe. He was on a 24m motor yacht and making a film in Turkey. He had a suite in the hotel, but preferred to sleep in the yacht. We spoke to him almost daily.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022, 00:14 Bruno COTTE <cotte.bruno@...> wrote:
[...]

John Crosby

In case you want to winter boat ashore and are prepared to be on mainland, Cleopatra Marina near Preveza could be an option. I’ve seen between 6 & 9 amels, different models, newer and older, over-winter there these last several year; I’m pretty sure it’s cheaper than Gouvia in Corfu. John

On 19 Jul 2022, at 08:14, Bruno COTTE <cotte.bruno@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear confrères and consoeurs,

Many thanks to everyone for your invaluable feedback. Our plan is to leave Turkey (Göcek) in spring of 2023 and make our way West, across the Aegean Sea, then Ionian heading north, right through the Adriatic then back down along the coast Italy, and so on…until we eventually reach Spain (then we’ll see ;-)))
We’ll be doing this in phases with periodic returns home so finding safe marinas to leave the boat along the way, and near airports, will be crucial.

Fair winds to all,

Paul and Christine

SV CHRISTINE, A55, #29

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Jay Feaver

Hi Paul and Christine,

Really good to hear of your adventures.   I can give you some options for storing your boat.   We are currently storing or boat at Lefkas Marina in Greece (where we bought it).   We have also done a journey up to Venice and back via Croatia an Montenegro.

Lefkas Marina - is a good option.   It is easy to access in summer via Preveza Airport.  It is harder to access in winter via Athens airport and 4 hours of driving.   The marina is (in my books) well protected and decently maintained.  It only uses a single bow mooring line for each boat (which can be a bit concerning for some.) There are good services available there with haul out and parts supply etc.  Our boat was maintained there for the last 2 years and it appears to have been well done.   I can send you an email with some more specific reviews and hints if you want: we use Paleros Yacht Services. It is possible to do all the customs paperwork yourself there if you have a smile and a few hours we also were introduced to a good agent if you prefer  We will be based there through spring of next year (23) then heading west if all goes according to plan.  There are a couple other Amels in the marina.

No comment on Gouvia.   We will visit in August but have not gone yet.

The one I would suggest you look at as an option is Porto Novi.   It is also in the D-marin group.   The facilities are quite new.  It is amongst the best executed service we have ever seen at a marina.   Cost was comparable but slightly less than Lefkas.  there are double bow lines and there are 4 other Amels currently stored there so there must be someone who can look after them.  As were transiting we did not investigate.   It is accessible from airports at Tiviat and locals say look closely at possibly from Dobrovnic?   We did not need an agent as the various officials are on the quay and very easy to deal with.  Also of interest if you are going to ship in a large value boat part there is a method to receive it tax free to the boat via the customs man on the end of the quay.   Finally I note that it is not in Schengen so your prep time is "outside" of Schengen.   Honestly, if we had not already signed for Lefkas I would have left the boat there.   We also really liked Montenegro.  Again I can email you details and who to talk to at the marina if you want.

All the best, Jay
SV Elation