Topics

Damp in Sharki aft Cabin bulkhead

marklesparkle59

Has any other Sharki owner experienced moisture getting into the aft cabin bulkhead from the mizzen pockets? How did you deal with it?

Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki 96

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Mark, it is one of the problems of that series of boats. In the holes under the mizzen tends to stagnate the water and after years there are infiltrations that wet the whole balsa sandwich and also the bulkhead of the aft cabin.
The best thing is to eliminate the rotten part and rebuild the bottom using epoxy resin and fiberglass.
To work well, make an opening in the lower part, under the original hole.  I attach photos.  The same goes for the three lockers below which often have the same problem.

Warren Traill

Yes we have that problem. And have tried waterweld in the corners of each cavity. It has made a difference.
However now that we are in monsoon season the water ingress has increased.
I am now considering fitting  a lid to the top cavity to reduce the water intake.
Also I am now wondering if it's possible that water could be entering the bulkhead through the inside of the mast. Is this possible?
I'll be following this subject with great interest.

On 31 Dec 2019 1:31 a.m., marklesparkle59 <marklesparkle59@...> wrote:
Has any other Sharki owner experienced moisture getting into the aft cabin bulkhead from the mizzen pockets? How did you deal with it?

Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki 96

rob dillmann

We had the same problem with our Mango. The source was water ingress through the mizzen, following the cables of the radar and the vhf. These pass through an opening in the bulkhead and can be inspected by removing the mirror in the aft heads. Possibly this is the same in the sharki.
Regards,
Rob Dillmann
Westwind Amel Mango 43

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone