Topics

Deck repairs for an SM ( and other Amels )

Hi Folks,

 Pen Azen is 20 years old and has about 65,000 miles under her keel.  On the faux teak deck she has a number of hairline cracks, hard to see unless in sunlight and about 1-2 cm long. They are in random places, a few clustered around the point where you step off the deck into the cockpit on the starboard side.   They are not structural but should be filled as otherwise water can penetrate and damage the balsa.
 It's a tricky job to enlarge a crack sufficiently to fill it and the result will never look perfect.

 The chap who is going to do this for me asked Amel what fibre glass they had used originally but cannot get a reply.

 Has anyone carried out such repairs ? if so I would be interested to hear if they have any tips as to what they used and the finish that they managed to achieve.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

eric freedman

hi Ian,
There is a liquid that we have here called captain tollyes creeping crack repair.

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Bottle/dp/B00JQ6XHWC
https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Bottle/dp/B00JQ6XHWC

I just keep putting it into hairline cracks and wipe off the residue., keep repairing daily until the crack is filled. It is colorless and
seems to work on hairline cracks.
Fair Winds.
Eric
Sm 376 Kimberlite'

On January 21, 2021 at 12:40 PM "ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...>" <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Agree with Eric.  We used the same on Aquarius.

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262