Deck restoring

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all. See the attached photos. I have recently finished restriping the deck followed by gel coat restorer. My heartfelt thanks to those who advised me about the buegler striping tool and the product for gel coat restoring. I was amazed at how user friendly the striper was. No masking needed. Great result. The gel coat restorer I applied in less than an hour with a rag.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Danny,

Beautiful job!

Do you have any before pictures?  What was the gelcoat restore product you used?

Matt

SVTalia SM#209
Hampton, VA

Great job!

Is this the gel coat restorer?

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia <charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:
Danny,

Beautiful job!

Do you have any before pictures?  What was the gelcoat restore product you used?

Matt

SVTalia SM#209
Hampton, VA

Bill Schwanitz

Danny,

This looks amazing! What paint did you use inside the Buegler tool?

Thanks,
Bill Schwanitz

(not *yet* an Amel owner, just curious)

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi all. See the attached photos. I have recently finished restriping the deck followed by gel coat restorer. My heartfelt thanks to those who advised me about the buegler striping tool and the product for gel coat restoring. I was amazed at how user friendly the striper was. No masking needed. Great result. The gel coat restorer I applied in less than an hour with a rag.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Matt, sorry no photo but on the side decks there was virtually no paint in the grooves and the gel coat was very pale. If I find a photo I will post it.

The restorer was (copied off the label) Owatrolgel coat and surface restorer. Gel Coat restorer. Marine Polytrol. I got it through ebay as I did the striping tool. The paint I used in the striper was recommended by a marine boat painter of many years experience. Isotal enamel single pot. It flowed in the striper really well. A job well worth doing

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 22 August 2021 at 06:19 "Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia" <charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

Danny,

Beautiful job!

Do you have any before pictures?  What was the gelcoat restore product you used?

Matt

SVTalia SM#209
Hampton, VA

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill. Paint was recommended by my marine painter of many years experience. Isotal enamel single pot tinted to as close as I could to original. It flowed really well.

Regards

Danny

On 22 August 2021 at 07:35 Bill Schwanitz <billschwanitz@...> wrote:

Danny,

This looks amazing! What paint did you use inside the Buegler tool?

Thanks,
Bill Schwanitz

(not *yet* an Amel owner, just curious)

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi all. See the attached photos. I have recently finished restriping the deck followed by gel coat restorer. My heartfelt thanks to those who advised me about the buegler striping tool and the product for gel coat restoring. I was amazed at how user friendly the striper was. No masking needed. Great result. The gel coat restorer I applied in less than an hour with a rag.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

Mark Erdos

Hi Danny,

Looks awesome!!! Can you share the tint or color code you used to match the gel-coat color? Also, how did you obtain the matte finish for the paint, or is it matte paint.

Thanks,

Mark

Laurens Vos

Looks perfect !
Doesn’t the deck get slippery when wet ?
Thanks for sharing

Laurens
A54 Fun@Sea
La Rochelle

Bill Schwanitz

Thanks for the info Danny.

Cheers,
Bill

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 3:20 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark, the gel coat restorer is a clear liquid that soaks into the gel coat and lifts the colour. I applied it by wiping and rubbing it in with a rag. Took me about half an hour to do the whole lot. I was warned not to apply it thickly and this has been confirmed since by Joel Potter. The striping. That took a lot longer. Did the striping first. The paint I used straight from the can. The boat painter told me I didn't need to flatten it.  The restorer was (copied off the label) Owatrolgel coat and surface restorer. Gel Coat restorer. Marine Polytrol. I got it through ebay as I did the striping tool. The paint I used in the striper was recommended by a marine boat painter of many years experience. Isotal enamel single pot. It flowed in the striper really well. A job well worth doing.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 August 2021 at 06:08 Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

Looks awesome!!! Can you share the tint or color code you used to match the gel-coat color? Also, how did you obtain the matte finish for the paint, or is it matte paint.

Thanks,

Mark

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Laurens, no it doesn't get slippery. The restorer soaks in and I applied it thinly with a rag, rubbing it in. The original GRP "grain" grip effect is retained. I think it would be a mistake to apply it thickly.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 23 August 2021 at 09:00 Laurens Vos <laurensrineke@...> wrote:

Looks perfect !
Doesn’t the deck get slippery when wet ?
Thanks for sharing

Laurens
A54 Fun@Sea
La Rochelle

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

You're Welcome

Danny

On 23 August 2021 at 09:21 Bill Schwanitz <billschwanitz@...> wrote:

[...]

 Do you know which head width you used on the Buegler ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada

[...]

Hi Ian, I just measured it. Looks like 2mm. I worked in arm reach lengths. Reach out, pull towards you on one side of the groove then reach out and pull towards you other side. Then I got experience and did three runs. One towards, one push back the other way and then a third towards. Trick is when you enter the slot to hit it right or you get a blob on the edge. The three stripe method had the advantage of just one entry. I think the paint I used was perfect. It flowed well.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 August 2021 at 20:19 "ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...>" <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Danny,

Great results! Did you do any surface prep before applying the stripes? What about for the gel coat restorer?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike, surface prep. Any loose or powdered paint had to be removed from the grooves and the surface scuffed. Sand paper would have been impossible to use as it would inevitably sanded the edges too. I broke 75mm off a flat file with a file edge and used that. In fact there was virtually no loose paint and not a lot of powdered. So I scuffed the full length of all the grooves. I had the advantage that the boat had been idle on the mooring for some time in a period with a lot of heavy rain so there was no salt to get rid of. The weather was not helpful and I had to work around rain and in our winter so I did the job in 2-3 hour bursts in the middle of the day. Before beginning to paint each day I wiped down the grooves with a cloth soaked in acetone. When the grooves were painted I left them to harden for a week or so. Then before applying the polytrol I wiped the deck down with a cloth lightly impregnated with acetone to remove any human oil residues from all the foot traffic and anything else that might have been there. Again note I had no salt to deal with. That's about it. Much easier job than I expected. The striping tool was very forgiving.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 August 2021 at 23:53 "Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)" <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

[...]

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Danny

can you say how much time you needed?

Thank you Elja SM Balu
222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Elja, the polytrol time is easy. Less than one hour to apply. Sanding the grooves with the part file, one or two hours. Painting the grooves. As I said in a previous because I was working in our winter I could only paint in two to three hours in the middle of the day, and there were wet days I couldn't work. so I had a lot of get ready and clean up time. I didnt count, but I guess I did the painting over 10 or 12 days. Actual painting time. Locker area at front. 2 hours. Aft area, lasurete lid one hour. Side decks. 5 hours per side. cockpit, 3 hours. But take in the prep and clean up each day there was a lot more than that. One tip. To fill the striper I put the paint in a mustard squeeze bottle with a shutoff cap. Perfect,
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 24 August 2021 at 07:53 Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@gmx.de> wrote:

He Danny

can you say how much time you needed?

Thank you Elja SM Balu
222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill. Sorry for the lack of reply. Just found a stack of your messages in my spam folder. The product I used was Marine polytrol gel coat restorer. I have  given detailed product information in other replies. Likewise my experience in applying it. If you haven't seen these I will resend.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl