--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Yes it certainly is a problem in Europe and a gamble as to how much you actually get charged when bringing items into another country. We are currently in Turkey where Amel will not ship items to. Probably due to import costs.

Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 11:05 AM, Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

I have ordered some small parts from Amel all together for 70 Euro. Delivery cost from France to Slovenia was almost 68Euro. So total order cost was 158Euro including VAT. Other supplier cost in Europe are much lower, 10 Euro for this kind of orders. I do not want to be negative and AMEL is very responsive so there is no issue. Question is, do you experience the same issue? Or if not, how do you handle shipments from Amel.
For comparison I have ordered ZODIAC dinghy from seller in Austria, and some small items, shipment weight was 50kg, shipping cost was 18 Euro.
I hope I do not violate any rules of this site.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

Bruno COTTE

In Turkey you have a Amel
Representative in Gocek .

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 24 nov. 2021 à 13:56, Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer@...> a écrit :

 Yes it certainly is a problem in Europe and a gamble as to how much you actually get charged when bringing items into another country. We are currently in Turkey where Amel will not ship items to. Probably due to import costs.

Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

Arno Luijten

Hi Slavo,

Keep in mind that Amel is a boat builder and not a parts supplier or a shop. The fact that they supply parts makes them a better boat builder but they do have to charge the logistic costs to you as well to keep this a viable process. For them these ad-hoc logistics are quite a disturbance of their primary process.
Shops typically have deals with logistic partners to keep the transport costs down. I don't think Amel has enough volume in parts to do such a thing
When I owned a Hallberg Rassy I found out they actually had someone start a separate company to deal with all these requests. On itself a very clever idea that may work for Amel as well but they charged decent money as well to send things over.
So yes I agree it can be annoying but I praise the service Amel provides us with helping us to keep afloat.

Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Slavko Despotovic

Hi Arno,

I did not put this as negative complaint to Amel. I was looking for more reasonable solution. The order was 100 pcs of plastic plugs, Rudder bolt and Packing stuff for rudder post. It was a small box 20X10X4 cm. Nothing special. When I send something of this size with DHL in Europe the cost is marginal.
At the same time I have ordered springs (cost 50euro) from Antal, delivery cost was 10 euro from Italy.
I agree that Amel is doing superb job of keeping as much as possible spare for older models, but this is the part of Amel way of doing business. Exceptional support for our boats. That keeps the value of the boats as well.
I learned my lesson and in the future I will be make bigger orders and the delivery cost will be reasonable.
And my name is Slavko :)).

Best regards.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

Mark McGovern

Edited

Slavko,

I am in the USA and yes, shipping costs from Amel are pretty high.  However, Amel is probably charging you exactly what they are being charged by the shipper.  As stated earlier, Amel is a boatbuilder, not an online retailer.  Therefore, they have a very small shipping volume and are probably paying "full retail" price for shipping and are just passing this cost onto you (as they should!).  Large volume shippers get huge discounts from carriers like UPS, FedEx and DHL compared to low volume shippers. I know this because I own a small manufacturing business in the USA.  One of my customers is a large distributor.  Because their shipping volume is thousands of times larger than ours, they pay 65%-75% less to ship the exact same package to the exact same place.  So UPS will charge me $100 to ship a package yet only charge them $25-$35.  Lately, the rates have gotten even worse for small volume shippers.

I keep a spreadsheet of "Amel Parts to Order" and then when the time comes that I really need them, I place a good size order.  I also tend to buy "generic" parts like oil seals and bearings locally.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Justin Maguire

Shipping globally is simply WAAY more expensive due to the mess that is supply chain logistics right now.

On Nov 24, 2021, at 17:23, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Slavko,

I am in the USA and yes, shipping costs from Amel are pretty high.  However, Amel is probably charging you exactly what they are being charged by the shipper.  As stated earlier, Amel is a boatbuilder, not an online retailer.  Therefore, they have a very small shipping volume and are probably paying "full retail" price for shipping and are just passing this cost onto you (as they should!).  Large volume shippers get huge discounts from carriers like UPS, FedEx and DHL compared to low volume shippers. I know this because I own a small manufacturing business in the USA.  One of my customers is large distributor.  Because their shipping volume is thousands of times larger than ours they pay 65%-75% less to ship the exact same package to exact same place.  So UPS will charge me $100 to ship a package yet only charge them $25-$35.  Lately, the rates have gotten even worse for small volume shippers.

I keep a spreadsheet of "Amel Parts to Order" and then when the time comes that I really need them, I place a good size order.  I also tend to buy "generic" parts like oil seals and bearing locally.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara