Depth sensor reading bad values after power cycling

Billy Newport

Turned my electronics off and on today and now the depth went from correct to widely ranging incorrect depths between 38 and 90m of water. It reports as an airmar dstxxx, anyone know exactly which model it is and what a suitable replacement would be?

Thanks

Billy (Amel 55#56)

Bill Kinney

Airmar transducers all come with a tag on the wire close to the transducer with detailed part information. It's worth a look to see if it is still there...

Billy Newport

It started working again today. Debris on the transducer?

Billy,

I assume that you have a sonic speed transducer, rather than a paddle wheel. I have experienced an erratic reading caused when the frequency of something nearby was at the same frequency as the speed transducer receiver. The first time this happened was during a very heavy rainstorm in poorly charted Tonga. I believe that the frequency of the large raindrops pounding the water matched and/or interfered with the frequency of the receiver and the analog instrument dived to zero...wow it was a panic. In 11 years, this only happened twice, both times with a very heavy rainstorm.

Possibly something nearby or a huge rainstorm caused your issue.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 6:39 AM Billy Newport <billy@...> wrote:
It started working again today. Debris on the transducer?

Joerg Esdorn

Billy, from recollection it is a DST200.  I have not experienced any problems with that transducer (Bill, this is the depth, not the speed transducer).  But the man who would know is Stephane Geniteau, the Amel guy at Pochon.  Pochon installed all electronics on Amel 55s and Stephane did the owner training.   I've found him very responsive.   stephane@....  Good luck.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53, Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo

Billy,

I said, Speed, but I meant the B&G Depth. The receiver of the DST200 has a very wide range of frequency reception whereas the DST210 is much narrower.

I am thinking you were the victim of interference. Submarine nearby?