Depth Sounder Replacement in a SM 2000

Chris Doucette

As most of my sailing instramentation and hardware is now NMEA 2000, the last two sensors I need to address are the transducers (Depth, Temp, Speed).  After these I can Retire my Hydra 2000 and all the assicated mountain of wires.

I have three devices in the forward hallway floor hatch- all of them seem to be analog and designed to connect to the Hydra.
1) Some small temperature sensor transduces that is not hooked up.
2) A "small diameter"  depth sounder (two wires pins 29,30 oh hydra) with a cable that has Airmar tranducer printed on it.
3) A "Larger diameter" Airmar ST850 device (Speed and Temp) (ST850-INS-BG P/N: 31-590-23-02)

I "think" that the ST850 device is a P17 housing ( 51mm or 2") from searches.

Proposed soluton-
There is this device that seems like it could be fit for replacing the ST850 that has NMEA 2K Speed, Depth, and Temp.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/simrad--dst800-nmea-2000-thru-hull-traditional-transducer--12019311?recordNum=7

Am I correct that this would work? I am sure otherse here have done something simalar-   I also think Brian for Delos may have for instance.
Am I not thinking of something or have this all wrong?  What have you done?

Thank you !

Chris
S/V Amarok #385

eric freedman

Hi Chris,

Airmar also makes a speed transducer that does not have a paddle wheel.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Chris,

All the major electronics brands use the Airmar sensors.  All will work on your NMEA2K network.

We elected for a DST810 sensor with the paddle wheel.  Now Airmar has recently brought out the DX900 that is all ultrasonic.  Seems like a cool piece of kit...lower maintenance for sure.  However, I can't seem to find one in stock in the market, and the quoted prices are at least 2X the DST810.

I am now questioning if I change to the DX900, or just have a spare DST810 (clean it in my own time after change).

Either way you will have to replace the original thru hull with a larger unit. We opted for the bronze unit because I just don't like the idea of a plastic fitting as a critical component.

Matt

Chris Doucette

Matt- Thanks for the reply-

So, from your experience you think I will have to replace my ST850 P17 houseing to accomidate the DST800 I linked or the DST810?
It says ut us a 2" houseing.

Chris

Eloi Bamberg

I am changing my navigation electronics at the moment. I ordered the Airmar UDST800, no moving parts, less power consumption than the DX900 (125mA instead of 400mA) and i think as cruiser i don't need necessarily to mesure the lateral speed through the water.
Eloi
Red Lion
SM2K 426

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Chris,

I cannot speak to your hull number (we need Bill's expertise).  We are hull number 209.

The AMEL installed transducer at the fwd head is 38mm diameter.  The new transducer (DST810 and DX900) is 51mm diameter.  I refuse to leave the old thru hull, so I will oversize the exiting for the new install.

Matt
SM209 Talia

I think all of the B&G Hydra depth transducers installed when SMs were new were 38mm.

B&G makes a 51mm 2" depth transducer that is also forward looking sonar. Something to think about with a new B&G System

image.png
image.png

Your wallet might suffer. But I know I would love to have this with a new B&G suite.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Matt & Michelle Day <charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:
Chris,

I cannot speak to your hull number (we need Bill's expertise).  We are hull number 209.

The AMEL installed transducer at the fwd head is 38mm diameter.  The new transducer (DST810 and DX900) is 51mm diameter.  I refuse to leave the old thru hull, so I will oversize the exiting for the new install.

Matt
SM209 Talia

Peter de Groot

Greetings all,
While cruising Mexico’s Pacific coast this year I had the Garmin Pan optic PS-51 forward sonar start to behave irregularly and ultimately overheat and fail. Garmin replaced it on warranty but I spent several weeks anchoring about in different bays with no depth readings available at the helm. My take-away from this experience is to have a back up available whether it be an on-board spare replacement transducer, or a complete functioning back up system.

BTW: a toilet plunger with a diver underneath worked great for minimizing the water entry when we exchanged the transducer.

Peter de Groot
La Querida SM207
Barra de Navidad, Mexico

Alan Leslie

Hi Bill,

I have one of these.
I installed it to replace the original forward looking sonar on Elyse.
It's not very good.
I think there's a previous discussion on the forum about it.
It only works in absolutely flat water at low boat speed.
Any minor pitching of the boat throws the display out to the point where it is useless.
It really needs to have a motion sensor to compensate for boat movement.
I believe the Garmin Panoptix system has that, but it's a lot more expensive.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Bill Kinney

Transducers come in two flavors these days, "Smart" and analog.

The "smart" transducers output digital NMEA2000 data directly and connect to the network backbone.  All of the smart transducers are identical with the possible exception of the connector they use on the drop cable. The only thing missing from the "smart" transducers is the sonar information is limited to depth ONLY.  You do not get any kind of "fishfinder" display, if that matters to you.  This limitation also applies to some of the "multi" transducers. The more "stuff" packaged into the thru-hull package, the smaller and less capable is the depth sensor.  For speed and temperature there is no functional difference at the instrument between the "smart" and analog versions.

The analog transducers are also pretty much all the same, but each brand uses a different connection. In this case, they connect to some smart device in the system, usually the MFD, or sometimes a separate sounder module, which then processes the data and outputs it on the NMEA2000 network.  Almost all are made by Airmar, differing only in what connector they put on the end of the wires to match the final brand seller. (Raymarine, Garmin, B&G, Simrad, etc.)

We installed Airmar's ultrasonic speed sensor UDST800 a few years ago, and it worked great--until it didn't.  At that price point the failure was painful, and we went back to cleaning a paddlewheel. To put things in perspective, the 800 series ultrasonic speed sensor was vaporware for YEARS in the Airmar catalog before it was actually available on the market, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the 900 to actually be a physical product in the real world anytime soon.

If you have a compatible sounder module, or MFD, you can actually use an in-hull transducer, like the Airmar p-79, avoiding another hole in the hull.  No speed or temperature of course, but it works well as a sounder.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood FL, USA