Topics

Dessalator fresh water rinse - leak?

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Amelians,

today I had a wierd situation with my duo D 100.

After turning it off, it did the fresh water rinse like usual, but did not stop.

I checked for a leak (in the entire boat) but there is no leak and no open tap.

I closed the fresh water valve for the water maker, the rinsing stops.

I opened the valve, then the fresh water pump starts again (with rinsing).

During the process of making water there is no problem, the fresh water pump is not running.

Thus now I have to close the valve every time after using the water maker.

That is possible, but not like it should be.

Btw: If I open the fresh water valve for the water maker again (at least) 1 hour later, the pressure is (mostly) stable, no pump is running.

What could be the reason/ problem?
The solenoid (parallel to the filter)?

Thx a lot for your help.

Stefan
LADY CHARLYETTE, AMEL 54 N119, currently 40 miles to Aruba

Most likely a sticking solenoid. If you run the water maker frequently you should contact Dessalator.com for a new one. If you haven't run it for a while, monitor it and replace if it continues.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 5:20 PM Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

Porter McRoberts

Agree Bill on the solenoid. Not to difficult to take apart and clean.

Porter A54-152.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.net

On Jul 13, 2020, at 7:16 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

ngtnewington Newington

I have stripped down these solenoids a couple of times but generally found that they still leak so recommend replacement.

Nick
Amelia Kilada Greece

On 14 Jul 2020, at 00:34, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

[...]

Courtney Gorman

I have the same issue I have not taken care of it yet bypass is to make water but do not rinse then there is no issue discovered the problem after making nearly 700 liters of water then waking up to an empty tank.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

When we were getting familiar with Kokomo, I had discussed when the back flush was necessary with Martin at Dessalator.  He stated that it is unnecessary to back flush after making water, if you intend to make more water withing the next 7 days. He mentioned that it is a waste of 25 liters of water. When we are on board, about 5-6 months every year, we almost never back flush since we only fill the tank with dessalator water, and therefore never go beyond the 7 days.

Our original membranes are still functioning fine after 12 years and almost 600 hours of water maker run time. The water made is usually below 250 PPM.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Matt Salatino

You’re an excellent example. Do you leave the boat for any extended period? If so, how do you store the watermaker?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jul 14, 2020, at 5:11 PM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Thx a lot for your fast responses.

How is it possible to avoid the fresh water rinsing?
It seems to be automatic (DUO D 100).

Does anybody knows the brand/part number of the solenoid?
I can not figure it out without dismantle.

Best regards
Stefan
LADY CHARLYETTE A54 #119 currently Aruba

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Stefan;

We have the 150 L/hr AC only version. On ours, we simply turn off the unit and then turn down the pressure valve. If we want to back flush, we turn down the pressure valve first and wait for the unit to backflush, and shut down automatically and then turn the switch off. Sorry, but I’m not familiar with the DUO, so can’t be of much help.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099