Diesel heater install

Darren Moore

Hello,

We are looking at installing a Diesel heater to our 1996 Super Maramu

Currently looking at a Wallas Spartan 4.5kw unit which has three in and out ports, we'd like to run a port to the Saloon, main cabin and forward guest cabin

Does anyone have any experience with this heater?

Has any one ran 75mm (3 inch) warm air duct through their boat? did you find any good paths or impossible paths

Kindest regards
--
Darren & Karen
SM171

Eric Freedman

Hi,

A friend of mine with an Amel just installed a Espar hydronic heater in his boat. He even put a blower in the cockpit.

The hydronic unit seems to be a much simpler installation than a forced air unit. When I had Kimberlite made it came with forced air ventilation which was easy to convert to heat. Running that duct would be much more difficult as a refit.

Did you look at a hydronic unit? It has thermostats in each cabin.

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376

We are looking at installing a Diesel heater to our 1996 Super Maramu

Currently looking at a Wallas Spartan 4.5kw unit which has three in and out ports, we'd like to run a port to the Saloon, main cabin and forward guest cabin

Does anyone have any experience with this heater?

Has any one ran 75mm (3 inch) warm air duct through their boat? did you find any good paths or impossible paths

Kindest regards
--
Darren & Karen
SM171
Tradewinds III
Tasmania, Australia

Bill Kinney

Darren and Karen,

Running ductwork through a Super Maramu is a very tough task if you are not going to compromise the watertight bulkheads.  Because the watertight compartment design is one of the things about an Amel that is special, destroying it will compromise the value of the boat both to you and to any knowledgeable later purchaser.

Not saying it can NOT be done, but some skilled engineering and shipwright’s skills will be needed.  Your best bet would be to tour an Amel installation or have someone with a boat where Amel installed the heater to send you LOTS of pictures.  Or as Eric suggests, the Amel “fresh air” system would also be a good model to use.

I am not sure what hull number these options were first offered, but I know that there were factory modifications to the design that made the install easier on later boats.

Good luck!  And stay warm!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA (where staying warm right now is NOT a problem!)

Eric Freedman

Hi,

I suggested a hot water system -hydronic- not a fresh air.

If you go with the hot air system, there are ways to make the bulkheads watertight. That arrangement came with Kimberlite when I added the fresh air system later converted to hot air.

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376

[...]

Good morning Eric and Bill,

Thank you for you comments, we still at the thinking stage at the moment which prompted my asking questions here,

I'm not convinced yet of which way to go, I like air for simplicity, I dislike hydronic because its power hungry with the circulation pump and fans (but does have better temperature control)

I was thinking with either system that I'd run the pipes through bulkheads well above the water line to protect the integrity.

I'd like to know if anyone had done the install and had pictures, I'll investigate also if TW3 has any obvious signs of the path that the fresh air system might have used.

Thank you both for your advice
--
Darren & Karen
SM171

Randall Walker

I recall Delos did a water heater install. They started in the Bahamas I think and finished the install stateside. Drilled manny holes though. Not something I would want but looked warm, for colder climates.
But there’s an avenue to head down.

Randall
A54#56

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 18:11 Darren Moore <dmjetstar@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Randall,

I have seen that episode, hydronic may be an easier option, much smaller hoses to get around.

Kind regards

Darren