From: Richie Whyte <richiewhyte@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Dec 13, 2021 10:22 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Dinghy Sizing

I am considering purchasing a Highfield Classic Hypalon and I’m debating the merits of CL290 vs CL310 with my co owner. We are not on our boat at the moment to eyeball fitting etc. The debate centres around convenience to store the dinghy either up front or on the aft cabin roof. Ease of getting it on or off our SM2K and carrying capacity.
If any of you have either of these tenders I would be very grateful if you’d let me know if you are happy with it and whether you would change the size if you were to purchase another one.

Many thanks

Richie

Achill, Ireland
’Why Knot’, SM2K#261 on the hard in Leros, Greece

A 3.1 or up to 3.2 will stow on the aft deck like this on a SM:
image.png
I believe that up to 2.6 with most dinghies you can carry them on the aft deck of a SM like this.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Richie,
Your main concern with a dingy is one the size of the engine, how many people and stuff you want to carry, and how are you going to use it, ie short trips only in calm water for coastal cruising of for  longer range.  My opinion is buy as big as you have room for.  With a 15 hp 2 stroke or a 20 hp 4 stroke I would definitely get the CL310 it will store sidways on the aft cabin partially blocking the access to the stern on one side but I feel that you can live with.
Otherwise get the smaller and stow it longways on the aft cabin.
CHeers
Courtney
Trippin

I am considering purchasing a Highfield Classic Hypalon and I’m debating the merits of CL290 vs CL310 with my co owner. We are not on our boat at the moment to eyeball fitting etc. The debate centres around convenience to store the dinghy either up front or on the aft cabin roof. Ease of getting it on or off our SM2K and carrying capacity.
If any of you have either of these tenders I would be very grateful if you’d let me know if you are happy with it and whether you would change the size if you were to purchase another one.

Many thanks

Richie

Achill, Ireland
’Why Knot’, SM2K#261 on the hard in Leros, Greece

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Bill;

We did change out our tender to a 3.4 meter HighField last season and it does fit on the aft deck without interfering with the Mizzen Traveler. The end of the pontoons do project a bit into the cockpit from the sides of the Mizzen. Anything shorter is a challenge to mount on the Davits.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I am considering purchasing a Highfield Classic Hypalon and I’m debating the merits of CL290 vs CL310 with my co owner. We are not on our boat at the moment to eyeball fitting etc. The debate centres around convenience to store the dinghy either up front or on the aft cabin roof. Ease of getting it on or off our SM2K and carrying capacity.

If any of you have either of these tenders I would be very grateful if you’d let me know if you are happy with it and whether you would change the size if you were to purchase another one.

Many thanks

Richie

Achill, Ireland
’Why Knot’, SM2K#261 on the hard in Leros, Greece

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello Richie.
I bought a Highfield 290 dinghy last July. In September I already had bubbles in the paint of the hull. If you (or anyone) are interested in the response of Highfield when I sent the pictures and asked for a solution (that has not arrived yet), please let me know and I will describe it to you in a private conversation, since I know that this group does not allow for negative observations about brands or providers.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Mohammad,

Thanks for that. The A54 has a lot more room than the SM...Richie Whyte was asking about a SM.

Bill

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:47 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi Richie,
We just purchased the cl310 hyp. Perfect fit for a 15 hp and 4 people. Aft or foredeck no problem. I came from an AB lumina about the same size. I don't know if it is the design of the Highfield or a tuned up yami 15 but getting on plane is fast and the ride is good. The step is great and so is storing the fuel container.

Chuck
Joy sm#388
St. Martin

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:22 AM Richie Whyte <richiewhyte@...> wrote:

I am considering purchasing a Highfield Classic Hypalon and I’m debating the merits of CL290 vs CL310 with my co owner. We are not on our boat at the moment to eyeball fitting etc. The debate centres around convenience to store the dinghy either up front or on the aft cabin roof. Ease of getting it on or off our SM2K and carrying capacity.

If any of you have either of these tenders I would be very grateful if you’d let me know if you are happy with it and whether you would change the size if you were to purchase another one.

Many thanks

Richie

Achill, Ireland
’Why Knot’, SM2K#261 on the hard in Leros, Greece

Victor,

As most Amel owners know, painting aluminum is at best still a risky issue. Many A55 owners know this better than previous Amels. I am not sure why there seem to be more aluminum coating failures lately, but I suspect it has to do with certain prep chemicals being outlawed.

We had an AB aluminum dinghy for 11 years. When it was 10 years old there was less painted area than bare aluminum. I thought Highfield and sister company 3D offered dinghies that were electrostatic-spray powder-coated. I would assume that this painting method would be better but it might make the process even more difficult and thus risky to the coating losing adhesion to the surface.

Whatever the issue is with yours, why don't you give the details, but focus on the aluminum coating issues rather than the manufacturer because I believe that probably any manufacturer and possibly any Amel owner will experience this issue.

You experienced coating failure with Highfield and I did with AB Navico. Today AB ships the aluminum dinghy uncoated. You can special order power coating. Their website states, "Although the tender is uncoated for minimal maintenance, you can choose to add a Chrome-free Pretreatment and Powder Coating."  Another brand that I like is Caribe. They had the same coating flaking problem that you and I experienced. They solved it by no longer offering aluminum hulls.

I believe that there is a risk of coating failure with any aluminum dinghy. I think you are lucky if you do not experience it.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:13 AM VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:
Hello Richie.
I bought a Highfield 290 dinghy last July. In September I already had bubbles in the paint of the hull. If you (or anyone) are interested in the response of Highfield when I sent the pictures and asked for a solution (that has not arrived yet), please let me know and I will describe it to you in a private conversation, since I know that this group does not allow for negative observations about brands or providers.
Victor
SM314 Alendoy

Bruno COTTE

Due to the evolution of regulations concerning many painting components all industries face a problem with aluminium paintings .
If you go on internet you will see the problems of the last Airbus aircraft paintings
With Amel we face «
Bubbles » on  many masts since 10 years now … it is obviously the same with all painted masts …
When you see the bottom of aluminium dinghy you have the same problem whatever the dinghy manufacturer.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 13 déc. 2021 à 19:31, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

True. Best is a raw aluminium hull

We have an AB 9.5 UL with the big sponsons and deep V. This gives a very acceptable and dry ride even in choppy conditions. Equipped with a Yamaha 2 stroke 15 hp Enduro, It comes up on the plane quickly with two people on board.

Admittedly with four people on board, she will not plane well but stows easily forward of the main mast on deck for long passages. Never tried on the off deck as we have Davits Incorporated in the solar panel arch. (used solely on coastal passages)

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera , SM007, New Zealand

On 14 Dec 2021, at 07:40, Bruno COTTE <cotte.bruno@...> wrote:

[...]

JP you have a 9.5 AL and not UL as you have a locker in front and dual bottom …

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 13 déc. 2021 à 22:21, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> a écrit :

[...]

Bill Kinney

Richie,

We have tried storing our dinghy on the bow, and have not been at all happy with it.  It is very hard to secure it so it is not vulnerable to rough seas breaking aboard.  The forces involved can be very large, and if the dinghy was to break free, it could be a serious problem.  Visibility issues are not at all trivial.  We have gone back to storing it athwartship on the afterdeck, and there it will stay.

We have the AB Lammina 10 (3.2M) in uncoated aluminum. This size leaves us enough room to easily pass by it on either side to reach the back of the boat.  Having access on only one side is just not acceptable.  Asking crew to get to the aft deck on the leeward side of a boat close hauled and in rough weather is not a good idea.

Lifting it on and off is easy with a halyard connected to the bow.  A mast winch easily handles the weight.

One of the things people seem to discount too much (in my opinion!) is how important the overall weight of the dinghy is.  This is not an issue when it comes to lifting it up on the big boat where any reasonable dinghy can be handled with the mechanical assistance of a halyard winch. BUT... when you come up on a beach and need to haul up out of the surf is one time when bigger is most certainly NOT better. If the crew can not pick it up and carry it, it will be a problem.  Even dinghy wheels, although they can help, are most certainly not useable on every beach. If you only plan to go to dinghy docks and marinas, this might not apply to you.  But we prefer more remote places, and beach and surf landings are involved in most of our dinghy trips.

Our boat has a 2 cycle 15 HP engine, and it is much more than needed.  Doubly so after we replaced the standard prop one that actually matched the load. 10HP (with the right prop) would be everything needed for this hull.

Our thoughts in detail are here:  https://fetchinketch.net/boat_thoughts/about-dinghies/

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA

David Crisp

I have a Highfield CL290 with 15HP Honda 4 stroke.  Regret not getting the CL310 or CL340 as the CL290 is too short for the spacing of the davits on my A54 (fitted after I bought the dinghy). In the event we fitted a lifting eye to the bow deck which has helped solve the problem albeit not perfectly.  If anyone is interested in buying a two year old CL290 I'll get myself a longer dinghy!  (We are based in Preveza, Greece).

When I bought Wilna Grace it was 15 years since I had sold my previous SM.  With the SM I had an AB 290AL and 15HP Johnson 2 stroke - the 290 fitted fine on the aft deck and with the Johnson outboard served us really well.   On getting Wilna Grace and having to buy a new dinghy and outboard I got the 15HP Honda 4 stroke (the sale of 2 strokes being banned in Europe).  It was a shock when the 15HP Honda arrived, I hadn't realised how much heavier and larger 4 stroke outboards are!  Thank heavens for the crane on the mizzen.  Although kept on the dinghy/davits most of the time, when necessary the Honda is too tall and heavy to go on the rail so I have had to have a wooden bracket made up (removeable) so I could store the outboard in the lazarette.

BTW I agree with Bill's comment about weight being an issue to consider if you plan to haul up on beaches regularly.  The weight of the 15HP Honda on the stern of our dinghy makes for a struggle when dragging it out of the water up the beach.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

Scott SV Tengah

I know you have an SM, but the CL310 fits perfectly on the aft deck of the A54 lengthwise. It barely clears the mizzen traveller and does NOT protrude into the cockpit, allowing you to sit in those forward facing seats on passage. A 340 or bigger would fit better on the davits but then you compromise on passage.

We run it with a Suzuki 20HP fuel injected 4stroke. It's the lightest 4 stroke (44 kg compared to 38kg for a 2 stroke) and is far more efficient. With the 2 of us, it's overkill, easily hitting 24 knots in flat water. Add scuba gear and we're happy to have the power. Add 2 more people for a total of 4 and it's just perfect.

The combo is around 100kg, so we added big wheels. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible the two of us to drag very far up a beach.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all, Funny, I am mystified by the problems you have with the painted/powder coated  aluminum hull dinghies. As my light weight dinghy I use for local cruising and going back and forth to the mooring I have a NZ made  Southern Pacific. 3.1 aluminum hulled Rib. 20 years old and apart from scratches the coating is fine. There are thousands of these around NZ of various sizes and styles and I have not seen any with a coating problem. For my cruising dinghy we have a fiberglass hull caribe, Great, big pontoons dry ride but very heavy.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui NZ

On 14/12/2021 07:30 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Bill and the rest of the group.
My apologies for the delay in my response. Every time that I post something or formulate a question to this group, the responses are quick and enriching. In this regard, I really appreciate your comments because they are wise and well informed. Again, thank you for the great support.
I think that it would be good to distinguish two different things related with the dinghies and the bubbles that may show when the hull comes painted:
1.- The failure of the paint. Your clarifications are very enlightening, although it does not justify that big, world renowned brands display captivating explanations on their webs about the wonders of their products, whereas weeks after the purchase, some of the features fail. If they know about such weaknesses in their products they shouldn't advertise them as they do; if they don't know them, they are not as reliable as they claim to be.
2.- The after sales services of the provider. This is the other deeply disappointing side of the reaction of the manufacturers, but since my experience is limited to just one of them (what I know of other brands comes from friends that have told me about), I rather refrain from any further comment on this to stay in compliance with the rules of the group.
Thanks.
Best.
Victor
Alendoy SM314

Victor,

I understand.
Bill

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:
[...]

Richie Whyte

I thought I sent this ages ago..but just found it in drafts.
Thank you all for your insights. They were very helpful indeed.