Display VDS 215 MDS - nav table A54

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Amelians,

did any of you have to replace the display on the navigation table?
The manufacturer doesn't seem to produce this anymore.
Are there alternative displays or other sources of supply for this?

It needs 2 VGA connections.
The diagonal of the opening is approx. 45cm / 17,5 inch.

Thx a lot for your hints.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Santa Maria - Azores

Arno Luijten

Hi,

If your problem is that the actual LCD panel is failing (as it was for me) then you can replace the actual LCD panel itself fairly easy. If you want I can try to find the supplier I found to order a brand new identical LCD panel. From the same supplier I ordered a touchscreen panel that replaces the glass panel in front of the LCD. That can be used in conjunction with the NAVNET 3D system however meanwhile I’ve upgraded that system to the TZ2 blackbox system from Furuno.

Regards,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Arno,

that is a good idea!
Thus I would really appreciate your help for the supplier and a short description of the steps required when changing the display.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #199 Lady Charlyette, currently Azores, Santa Maria

Arno Luijten

Hi Stefan,

This is the link to the panel: https://store.lcdparts.net/M170EG01-VD_p_4142.html. There are several variations of this panel but the exact type on our boat was "M170EG01-VD", the same as in the link (see picture).

Make sure you do NOT buy the LED back-light option as  getting this to work with the original controls from VDS on the front is a pain.
Taking the monitor apart is not hard but you do need to be careful with removing the back cover as the VGA/DVI/POWER connectors are attached to it. It helps a lot to remove the fasteners of the connectors once you have slightly opened up the back cover.
After the connectors are free from the back cover you can remove it completely. Make a picture of the backside before proceeding
Next you can remove VDS electronics (all hooked up with connectors) and get to the actual LCD panel.

The touchscreen panel can be found here: https://store.lcdparts.net/search.asp?keyword=MS170CAPR43&search=search
Before mounting the touchscreen you need to remove the glass plate from the front fascia by peeling out/off the silicone caulking that holds it in place.
When mounting the touch screen panel make sure the connector is on the right side of the monitor (seen from the front).
The touch-panel has some double sided sticky tape to glue it to the LCD panel. Make VERY sure you do not get dust in-between! Also make VERY sure you mount the panel symmetrically and straight over the actual screen area of the LCD panel.
Buy some thin insulation strip for window/door-frames to put between the inside of the VDS front and the touch-screen to prevent dirt/moisture entering.
The ribbon cable folds around the LCD panel and use some double sided sticky tape to mount the touchscreen controller on the backside of the LCD panel. The USB cable can be routed outside the casing.

Good Luck!

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Stefan,

One other thing. I did notice you have a slightly different version of the VDS monitor as mine has a DVI input and NO TV inputs. I'm not sure if that makes a difference for the LCD replacement tough. Make sure you check the the model number of the LCD panel before proceeding

Regards,

Arno

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Arno,

thx a lot for your appreciated help.
I will try it, but study my display at first extensively. It seems to have slightly different (smaller) dimensions.
I hope the „old“ one works a few more month/ that long.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Azores, Santa Maria