Topics

Dive Compressor on a SM

Thomas Kleman

OK- I have hull #422 (a red line) and each day I wistfully look at that un-used dive compressor breaker on the 220 volt panel and feel like it's talking to me. My wife and I are enthusiastic divers heading (hopefully) back to Polynesia where diving would be fun and not always close to a dive shop.
There is even a comprehensive design for a sliding drawer mounting in the aft  port cockpit lazarette I like on this very site. I am in Hawaii, have access to Home Depot and shipping (the Bauer Jr II) comes from Seattle ...it's all so tempting.

The logical part of my brain, however reminds me that it's noisy, represents another system to maintain, $5000 to buy and install myself, and would doubtless raise the cost of diving based on my accounting driven cost per tank assumptions and those I've read done by others.

But I kind of want it. Anyone out there with some bit of pessimism or wisdom to stop me ?

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
Honelei Bay, Kauai

Mark Erdos

Do it – it’s only money.

We have one. It’s not hard to maintain and I can fill a tank to 3200psi in about 20 mins.

Think about all the many locations in French Polynesia where you can’t get tanks filled. Having the compressor opens up a whole new world for sailors who dive.

Opps! Sorry. You wanted reasons not to do it. Can’t think of any other than you might miss the storage space and your boat will list more to port than it does now.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Bryce Procter

Hi,

I just picked up mine yesterday, didn't even look for a reason not too. Fun will be had long after the cost is forgotten.
Can you point me to the drawings you mentioned?

Cheers

Bryce
SV Seamaster II
SM 467

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM +0800, "Thomas Kleman" <lorient422@...> wrote:

[...]

Porter McRoberts

I’m with Mark.
Super easy to maintain. Such a pleasure.
Opens a whole new world.
Do it!

Porter
A54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.net

[...]

Alan Leslie

Sorry, no reason to stop you.
We have one..it's brilliant, not just for us, but helping others to fill their bottles when 000's of miles from civilisation.
We were in Suwarrow in 2014 and one boat had wrapped their chain around a bommie. He soon ran out of air and asked me "you don't have a compressor on board do you?", YUP we do, and two full bottles...so bring your bottle and take one of ours while I fill yours ! ... got him out of trouble!
Only down side is it is VERY NOISY !!
Overall you won't regret it.
It's only money after all. What else are you going to do with it ?

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Paul Guenette

Hi Thomas,

I recently purchased a Coltri MCH 6 single phase 220 volt 50 hz with a inox stainless steel frame for $3,500.00 that fits nicely into the space. I am happy with it. I can send you the contact information for the company and person purchased it from if you wish,  (they gave me a good price on some Mares diving gear too).  If you do not have scuba tanks yet, let me know, I have a good contact for those too.

(I met you and Kirstin briefly on the docks at Shelter Island marina in Panama, April 2019)

Cheers, Paul

Aramis, SM 2000 - 444,  San Francisco Bay, California

hanspeter baettig

Hello Paul
Can you please send me your contact infos for the Coltri dive compressor. I'm hesitating between the Bauer Junior and Coltri. I know the Coltri Company in Italy.
You can email me direct; hanspeter dot baettig at bluemail dot ch
Thanks
Hanspeter
SM 16, Tamango 2

I recently purchased a Coltri MCH 6 single phase 220 volt 50 hz with a inox stainless steel frame for $3,500.00 that fits nicely into the space. I am happy with it. I can send you the contact information for the company and person purchased it from if you wish,  (they gave me a good price on some Mares diving gear too).  If you do not have scuba tanks yet, let me know, I have a good contact for those too.

(I met you and Kirstin briefly on the docks at Shelter Island marina in Panama, April 2019)

Cheers, Paul

Aramis, SM 2000 - 444,  San Francisco Bay, California

eric freedman

Years ago when I used to cave dive. we used an aircraft government surplus 3000 psi compressor. it was about 10 inches in diameter and about 14 inches high.
They used to cost about $300- I still see the on ebay from time to time. The filters were the expensive part of the setup.
We needed this setup as where we dived was in the boondocks.
You might look into it.
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm 376

On July 10, 2020 at 12:13 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul- I'd appreciate your contact details plus those of your Coltri contact. Could you send a pic of your installation also to Lorient422atgmail ?

Thanks

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Hanalei Bay Kauii

Sv Garulfo

Any insight on bauer vs. Coltri?

Thanks
Soraya
Garulfo A154-122
Tahiti, French Polynesia

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Coltri works well, but the materials used are of less quality than Bauer. Obviously the cost is different.
My Bauer, built in 1984, looks like new.

Giorgio Ardrizzi
sy Saudade III - Sharki #1
Fort de France - Martinica

Porter McRoberts

I was at Compressed Air Incorporated last week picking up some filters.
Shooting the breeze with the owner he offered he routinely sees 20+ year old Bauers working fine.
Porter
A54-152