Topics

Does the faux teak prevent one From seeing damage before it is too late? #solution

Daniel Alexander Thompson

Edited

If the white sub teak gel coat gets damaged, can the faux teak prevent one from seeing the problem before it is "too late" and one is subject to a saturated balsa core?

Is there a horrendous argument for just doing away with the faux teak and painting the deck blue like a westerly 33?

Would this dramatically lower the resale value of a forty year old Mango?

Blessings from Panama

Matt Salatino

I’ve seen 2 or 3 SMS having their decks gelcoated, usually in off white, in Guatemala. The one I examined closely, looked very good, and was cool enough to walk barefoot on in the tropical sun. The marina used a rolled out, molding technique that created a diamond pattern in the gelcoat.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 28, 2021, at 12:19 PM, Daniel Alexander Thompson <Thompson.Xander@...> wrote:

If the white sub teak gel coat gets damaged, can the faux teak prevent one from seeing the problem before one has saturated balsa core?

Is there a horrendous argument for just doing away with the faux teak and painting the deck blue like a westerly 33?

Would this dramatically lower the resale value of a forty year old Mango?

Blessings from Panama

Bill Kinney

Daniel,

Damage to the gelcoat is not what leads directly to damaged core.  Under the gelcoat is the actual structural layer of fiberglass reinforced resin laminate.  The kind of long term sun damage we see on older Amel "brown" decks is certainly unappealing, and causes other problems, but by itself is not going to lead to waterlogged core.  That comes from problems with hardware installation, or by an impact strong enough to actually crack the laminate.  In the later case, I think it is very unlikely to be missed by even a casual inspection.

After twenty-five years, our boat is coming to the point where the surface layer of gelcoat is showing enough UV damage that we are on the look-out for a repair that will be robust, attractive and long-lived enough to be worth doing, without being so pricey it pulls a year's expenses out of the cruising kitty!  We have yet to see a single option that checks all our boxes, although many have been good choices with good outcomes.  I am know a diligent search of this group's archives will find LOTS of examples and discussions.

A blue painted deck is not to my personnel taste, but works for others.  Once the deck needs work, it really depends on how bad it is. A bit of color fading can be covered with minor prep work.  If the existing gelcoat is cracking and chipping, nothing short of sanding it down to a solid substrate will keep things together.  I think what ever you end up putting on top of the repair is a matter of taste.  I am betting there are very few buyers of 40 year old Mangos who are just DYING to have faux teak decks, and that is the real reason they want an Amel.  Do a good job with any repair, and document it well, and you'll keep the value of your boat up.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Mark Erdos

Hi Daniel,

Over time the decks can look quite ugly. I think this is true with every brand of boat. Some owners try to keep the original look. Others have taken a different turn. I don’t this there is a horrendous argument either way. I would suggest you do what you like, what fits your budget and the valuation of your boat.

We had a home in our neighborhood the owner painted purple. Most neighbors thought it was an ugly color. A couple of years later the house was put up for sale. Most neighbors thought it would not sell because of the color or the new owner would immediately repaint the house. It sold very quickly to people who liked the color purple.

So, no. It will not drastically reduce the value of your boat. Besides, if the new owner doesn’t like the color, you can perhaps tactfully tell them when it’s their boat they can paint it any color they want.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

If the white sub teak gel coat gets damaged, can the faux teak prevent one from seeing the problem before one is subject to a saturated balsa core?