Topics

Dolphin power 1 battery chargers

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi team,

Can anyone advise if the Dolphin power 1 - 24v/100amp and 24v/30amp chargers can be programmed to accept Gel batteries.

If not any advise on best charger set up to accept Gel batteries and adjustments to service alternator regulator would be appreciated.

The Gel batteries would also be charged by three 215W solar panels through a Victron MPPT.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SM2K 2000
Intrepid Kiwi
Currently in Turkey

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Ross,

Here is the French manual for the 30/50A  charger Dolphin/ CATS POWER DESIGN  send me.
It has a switch "Gel"or "free".

Hope this helps you,

Stefan Jeukendrup
svMalaka Queen
SM2k #348 ~ Montenegro-Turkey

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Thanks Stefan,

Can you please send the attachment.

Kind regards

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 2:30 pm, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@...> wrote:

Hi Ross,

Here is the French manual for the 30/50A  charger Dolphin/ CATS POWER DESIGN  send me.
It has a switch "Gel"or "free".

Hope this helps you,

Stefan Jeukendrup
svMalaka Queen
SM2k #348 ~ Montenegro-Turkey

Ross and Donna

It depends. Dolphin changed those chargers 3 times. First was no switch, then an A/B switch, then a selector switch with 10 different settings.
Here are a few things that may help:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:21 AM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Stefan,

Can you please send the attachment.

Kind regards
Ross

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 2:30 pm, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@...> wrote:

Hi Ross,

Here is the French manual for the 30/50A  charger Dolphin/ CATS POWER DESIGN  send me.
It has a switch "Gel"or "free".

Hope this helps you,

Stefan Jeukendrup
svMalaka Queen
SM2k #348 ~ Montenegro-Turkey

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Thanks for sending this through Bill, it is very helpful.

The 100amp charger that we have is the one in the first picture (JPG) that you forwarded. It does not physically have a switch. Does this mean that the charger can be used for Gel without doing anything?

The 30 amp actually has a switch which was already set to Gel.

Kind regards

Ross and Donna

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, 1:08 am, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

It is hard to say for sure. I had the same "non-changeable" Dolphin chargers on 2003 BeBe SM 387. In about 2007, I wanted to replace almost 4-year-old original Delco France Freedom batteries with FullRiver AGMs. I sent the FullRiver AGM charging parameters to Dolphin and asked them if I could install them. Their response was "Yes," which was obviously what I wanted to hear. I do not think it is that simple.

I believe the more exact the charging parameters match the battery, the longer the life of the batteries. Those AGMs lasted about 4 years...not bad for the price I paid. For full-time cruising, regardless of the battery you buy (except for Lithium), my advice is hope for 3 years and if you get 4 years, consider yourself lucky. The worst set of batteries I bought was the set to replace the above AGMs. They were Varta Freedom batteries bought in Greece for 3,000 euros for 13 batteries. They began to fail in 6 months and were completely gone in 12 months. Varta did nothing! The measure of the experience was not the failure, but what Varta did. Of course, they suspected my use and chargers. That was a bad assumption on their part, even though I suspect that it is a valid assumption more times than not. The chargers were fine and I never allow the bank to go lower than 70%...you were wrong Varta and I hope many read this.

Lastly, do not forget the 24-volt alternator. It charges the battery bank more than you realize and if your SM has the original, it does not have a smart regulator. Installing a smart regulator can probably do more to extend the life of your battery bank on a SM than anything else you do.

Bill

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:01 AM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Barry Connor

Hi Bill,
Totally agree with you about Varta. Bought mine in Croatia 2 years ago and they are nearly finished. Absolute rubbish.  We are full time on the boat and have been very careful with our batteries. That’s why I am now changing to Lithium.
The Zoom was interesting, thank you for organizing it. But, I want 24V 100Amh not 24V 50Amh, at least 600Amh bank. Also a single BMS not individual BMS on each battery. I will get the latest Victron Quattro 24/8000 which will run the entire electrical system once hooked up to the 230v control panel. Generator and any Shore Power hook up will just be used to charge the Lithium batteries. My 175amh engine alternator will have a controller installed to ensure it does not burn out.
Currently installed Solar Panels give up to 30 Amp, looking to increase this slightly. New Solar Panels now available for the back arch now produce from top and bottom (sun reflected off water).
Oliver on “Vela Nautica” has done his boat and has designed my system and is organizing all batteries and equipment, all items should be here in Martinique by October. I am fortunate that Oliver is at the same anchorage and stuck here with me for the next few months due to Covid-19 restrictions😎.
Once we start I will post how we get this done.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Aug 20, 2020, at 09:59, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Appologies for the delay in answering, sailing to Datca now ;-)

The manual is now on the forum under Files, Search, type "Dolphin"

* suggest to ask D. for a manual of your 100A charger, email contact@...

* the solar MPPT settings are important as it does most of the time the final charge cutoff.

The batteries and accessoires of your 24V stack must be exactly the same:

* all battery cables must be in good condition e.g. isolation,  crimping, oxidation

* cables to the battery terminals must be of the same length and cross section.

* suggest to install one or more Victron battery balancers, if not done already

Hope this is helpfull,

Stefan Jeukendrup

sv Malaka Queen

SM2k #348  ~to Turkey

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Thanks Stefan,
Very helpful. I will look into Victron battery balancer.

Kind regards