Downwind pole contol lines-replacement

david bruce

Hello,
I am looking to create a new set of the blue,red,yellow downwind pole control lines and am looking for information about this type of line and it's sourcing.  Bills book calls it 'Tempest' but I can't seem to find any online references to this type of line and do not recall seeing it in any chandleries.   Does anyone know what brand it might be?   Also more generally is this type of line used for this application for any specific reason (besides the pretty colors) ie it's stretch or shock absorption attributes, making it important to replace like with like or less ideally could other types of line be used?
Thank you
Dave Bruce
Liesse SN006

Ryan Meador

I believe Tempest is a particular brand of double-braid polyester line: https://www.lancelin.com/en/portfolio/the-tempest/

As their marketing material suggests, it does seem to be softer in the hand than other types of double braid.  I do not know if it has any other special properties that made Amel choose it.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM david bruce <davidcbruce57@...> wrote:
Hello,
I am looking to create a new set of the blue,red,yellow downwind pole control lines and am looking for information about this type of line and it's sourcing.  Bills book calls it 'Tempest' but I can't seem to find any online references to this type of line and do not recall seeing it in any chandleries.   Does anyone know what brand it might be?   Also more generally is this type of line used for this application for any specific reason (besides the pretty colors) ie it's stretch or shock absorption attributes, making it important to replace like with like or less ideally could other types of line be used?
Thank you
Dave Bruce
Liesse SN006

david bruce

Thanks so much Ryan, that’s great, I had just PM’d Bill, and he didn’t know, so I was resigned to using regular double braid, (which I am sure would work fine), when your reply came in.  i have one good set, it will be nice for them to be symmetrical.    The source might be something to add to the book Bill?   Thank you both for your responses to my queries,  I appreciate it.

Dave Bruce
Liesse
SN006