Draining Fuel tank

Patrick McAneny

I only have about 30 gallons of fuel in my tank and I want to drain it. My boat is on the hard ,so I placed a five foot length of 1/2" cpvc tube into the tank and attached a 25' length of 1/2"OD plastic hose , I drop that over the side hoping I could siphon the fuel out. I attached the hose to a shop vac , sealing the connection with tape and yet it did not produce enough suction to pull the fuel up out of the tank by more than two feet ,about to the height of the cockpit seat. I was surprised by that ,it is a big vac ,with a lot of suction. Does anyone have a suggestion on how or what to use to suck the fuel up and out of the tank.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Edited

Pat, make sure the business end of the 1/2” cpvc tube is not sealing down to the bottom of the tank. It should be cut at a slight diagonal. 

Derick
SM2K Brava 

Patrick McAneny

Derick, The tube was at angle to the tank and I even lifted it off the bottom an inch to make sure that was not an issue. 
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Sun, May 2, 2021 10:38 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Draining Fuel tank

[Edited Message Follows]
Pat, make sure the business end of the 1/2” cpvc tube is not sealing down to the bottom of the tank. It should be cut at a slight diagonal. 

Derick
SM2K Brava 

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Pat, you can also fill the tubing with the shop vac suction while there is less of a height to the top of the tubing (e.g. while still in the engine room. Once filled, seal off the exit end with a plug and lift it manually up and over the side so that the exit is now lower than the end in the tank. It should siphon like a champion then as long as you don’t get an air gap in the hose. 

eric freedman

Pat ,

I use a reverse oil change pump.

Or you could put a bucket in the bilge, remove the fittings at the bottom of the tank and add a piece of hose.

On Kimberlite I needed to use a very thin wrench to disassemble the valve on the tank. It is called a tappet wrench.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 9:21 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Draining Fuel tank

I only have about 30 gallons of fuel in my tank and I want to drain it. My boat is on the hard ,so I placed a five foot length of 1/2" cpvc tube into the tank and attached a 25' length of 1/2"OD plastic hose , I drop that over the side hoping I could siphon the fuel out. I attached the hose to a shop vac , sealing the connection with tape and yet it did not produce enough suction to pull the fuel up out of the tank by more than two feet ,about to the height of the cockpit seat. I was surprised by that ,it is a big vac ,with a lot of suction. Does anyone have a suggestion on how or what to use to suck the fuel up and out of the tank.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat, Fill the hose, put your thumb over the end, take it over the side to below the tank and take your thumb off. Or put a plug in the end instead of your thumb.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl 

On 03 May 2021 at 01:20 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

If you haven't already solved it, I have a solution that works for me. Your problem is the length of lift portion of the hose and the weight of the diesel in the hose in that lift portion.  

You can decrease the weight of the diesel in the lift portion of the hose by adding air pockets. With the suction on, lift intermittently the suction end of the hose for a split second allowing some air to enter. Do this several times until you have flow on the down side of the hose.  

I learned this when acquiring my PHD in Shade Tree Engineering 🌴🌴

I hope this helps. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Sun, May 2, 2021, 8:20 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans