Topics

ELECTROLYSIS

jfolino901 <jfolino901@...>

MY NEW SM #347 HAS SPENT A TOTAL TIME OF 5 MONTHS IN THE WATER FROM
HER LAUNCH SATE LAST OCTOBER TO BEING HAULED OUT IN LATE MARCH OF
THIS YEAR. DURING THAT TIME SHE WAS BERTHED A COUPLE OF WEEKS AT THE
AMEL FLOAT IN LAROCHELLE. THEN FOR 2 MONTHS IN LAGOS, PORTUGAL.
FINALLY 1 MONTH @ NANNY CAY, TORTOLA. AFTER HAULING OUT I NOTICED
CONSIDERABLE ELECTROLYSIS TO THE PROP, ROPE CUTTER & THE BOTTOM PAINT
FLAKING OFF AND THE ZINCS ALMOST TOTALLY DISOLVED. OF THIS 5 MONTH
TIME, FULLY 30 DAYS WERE SPENT SAILING FROM FRANCE TO PORTUGAL THEN
TO THE CARIBBEAN!
AMEL TO THEIR CREDIT SENT A CREW TO INVESTIGATE THE PROBLEM, IN FACT
THEY ARE RETURNING TO MY BOAT IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS. SO FAR NO CAUSE
HAS BEEN REPORTED TO ME! I MADE NO CHANGES TO THE BOAT DURING THE
SHORT WHILE I WAS ON THE BOAT. NO OTHER ADJACENT BOAT AT ANY OF THE
MARINAS REPORTED ANY SIMILAR PROBLEMS REGARDING ELECTROLYSIS. ANY
COMMENTS?
JOHN FOLINO (SULAJON)

pagandaisy <no_reply@...>

Were you plugged into shore power the entire time you were in Nanny
Cay? What about the zincs on the rudder? I know Nanny Cay well
having been in there for years. On more than one occasion I
encountered problems with the on shore power: loss of ground,
reversed polarity. Do you have a transformer as part of your
electrical system to step up from 120 to 240 volts? I believe mine
saved me from electrolisis more than once. Incidentally (and off the
record)don't depend upon Cay Electronics. Arnold

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., "jfolino901" <jfolino901@y...> wrote:
[...]

ARNOLD, THANKS FOR THE REPLY. ACTUALLY I WAS NEVER PLUGGED INTO SHORE
POWER WHILE @ NANNY CAY. THIS WAS BECAUSE OF 2 REASONS: THE FIRST IS
THE PLUG WASN'T COMPATIBLE WITH THEIR OUTLETS (CAY DID CHANGE THIS TO
THEIR OUTLET CONFIGURATION. THE SECOND REASON IS THAT THERE WEREN'T
ANY POWERED UP 220 VOLT OUTLETS ON MY DOCK! THERE IS A 3RD REASON, I
WAS ONLY THERE FOR 3 NIGHTS ANYWAY. SO, BOTTOM LINE IT WASN'T DUE TO
IMPROPER SHORE POWER AT LEAST NOT AT NANNY CAY. IN FACT I SPENT LESS
THAN 7 DAYS ON BOARD AT ANY MARINA EXCEPT IN LAROCHELLE WHICH WAS A
WEEK. WHEN I LEFT THE BOAT I DISCONNECTED SHORE POWER AND SHUT BOTH
BATTERY SWITCHES OFF! I'M PERPLEXED, I TRUST THAT AMEL & POCHON
(THEIR ELECTRONICS TECH) WILL FIND AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM.
THANKS,
JOHN FOLINO--- In amelyachtowners@y..., pagandaisy <no_reply@y...>