Electronic technician to Repair Onan PCBs

Wanted for all Amel Owners: Board-level PCB electronics technician to diagnose and repair Onan Printed Circuit Board, Control (PCB). As some of you know, the company that designed and manufactured Onan Electronic Control Boards has closed permanently due to COVID. There are many different models of this PCB, sometimes different PCBs within the same model numbers. These PCBs do not last forever. Do you know someone and can share contact information?

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Ryan Meador

Hi Bill,

This seems like a tall order.  If one is handed a random board without any specifications nor way to power it on, figuring out how it is supposed to work and then figuring out why it isn't is very difficult, bordering on impossible for complex boards.  Do you have any documentation from technicians who have effected the repairs in the past?  Any schematics or part lists?  Are there perhaps one or two common failures that can be quickly checked for?  I have the skills and equipment to rework the boards, and I would consider taking a stab at it if we can find the necessary info.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Wanted for all Amel Owners: Board-level PCB electronics technician to diagnose and repair Onan Printed Circuit Board, Control (PCB). As some of you know, the company that designed and manufactured Onan Electronic Control Boards has closed permanently due to COVID. There are many different models of this PCB, sometimes different PCBs within the same model numbers. These PCBs do not last forever. Do you know someone and can share contact information?

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Attachments:

Ryan,

No, none of the above.

In about 2006, I met a Dutch or German guy in Cartegena, Colombia who repaired things like this without knowing anything about its functionality. Maybe he was one in a million. He repaired a sat phone for me replacing a capacitor and another part in the power supply and a resistor and something else in the transmitter. I did not have an account for the sat phone, so he could not test it with a connection, but said it was transmitting and should connect with an account. He was correct. He had never worked on a sat phone before. He typically worked on old TVs for the locals and for sailors visiting there he repaired radars, GPS, Radios, and other navigation items. He refused to work on computers even though he said he could repair almost any electronic issue. I think I know why he refused to repair computers. It was the dinosaur effect.

Obviously, my search for somebody like this is the last resort.

Bill

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:04 AM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
[...]

Alex BAIZEAU

Hi Bill,
I'm an electronics enthusiast, not sure how familiar you are with reddit but you could post in https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/PCB/ asking for help. I'm sure a member of those subreddits will know someone.

Alex

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 6:45 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Wanted for all Amel Owners: Board-level PCB electronics technician to diagnose and repair Onan Printed Circuit Board, Control (PCB). As some of you know, the company that designed and manufactured Onan Electronic Control Boards has closed permanently due to COVID. There are many different models of this PCB, sometimes different PCBs within the same model numbers. These PCBs do not last forever. Do you know someone and can share contact information?

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Alex,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:
[...]

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Bill

I have no experience with this company below, a search brought this up:
http://www.generatorpanels.com/onan.asp

If all else fails I too could help out with pcb repair to component level.

Stefan Jeukendrup
sv Malaka Queen
sm2k #348  @ Gulluk Turkey

Stefan,

I contacted GeneratorPanels.com by phone. Unfortunately, they do not repair the "Intelligent PCBs" most of us have. They referred me to FlightSystems.com. I contacted them. They do offer board-level repair, but if the memory chip is damaged they cannot repair the board because the software is proprietary. Therefore, they have deemed the boards we have in most SMs and later models as unrepairable.

I only had the Onan part 327-1533 which was from a late model SM. I would like to ask them about an Onan PCB prior to about 2000. I think this one may not have software controlling the board. It did not have a diagnostic circuit, but simply a "Fault Light" and reset button. If someone could give me that Onan part number, I will pursue the possibility of repair with Flight Systems.

Bill

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 12:31 PM Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@...> wrote:
Hi Bill

I have no experience with this company below, a search brought this up:
http://www.generatorpanels.com/onan.asp

If all else fails I too could help out with pcb repair to component level.

Stefan Jeukendrup
sv Malaka Queen
sm2k #348  @ Gulluk Turkey

JEFFREY KRAUS

Bill,
Back in August, while running system checks, I discovered my Onan wasn't working, and the PCB board was the cause.
After a worldwide search, and the explanation (by Onan) that their supplier had gone out of business, the PCB board was unavailable from them. They were trying to get a new company to provide them.
I found one from a company called Arkansas Valley Diesel. It was a few hundred more, but it got me up and running. They had a dozen more in stock.
Strangely enough, in late January, a PCB board appeared in a package shipped from Onan. They had never deleted my order.
I returned it. It's uncertain as to whether they have a new company producing the board, or one turned up, and with my "engine down" order still on their parts ordering system, they sent it to me.
Perhaps Onan has a new company producing the PCB board. The person I spoke to when the engine down order proved fruitless said they hoped to have the boards available within 9 months. It was about 5 or 6 months after ordering it originally that I got one.
If they're available, It certainly would be more timely to get a new one then have to send the old one out for a repair.
Best Regards,
Jeff
Spirit 54 #14 Shinnecock,NY

Stefan Jeukendrup

Bill,

The use of  "chips" programmed with internal software (also called firmware) is wide spread these days.
Security fuses inside these microcontrollers dictate wether a third party can read the "firmware" with a programming  tool.
Or not...and that is a very attractive way for a company to control the market.....

Microcontrollers and their embedded firmware are normally very reliable (lightning strikes excluded)
In my experience  most failures on a PCB have to do with the periferals that connect the microcontroller to the outside world: drivers, control lines, protection devices and power supplies.
One can often roughly tell what the function of a "chip" is just by looking at its number, then download its datasheet on the internet and measure if it works correctly.

Avaiable for help, I hope this information is usefull in some way.

Stefan