Eleuthera - New home port

Ken Uber

G'day
Have recently arrived in Melbourne (Australia) as the new skipper of Eleuthera. SM #007.
Jean-Pierre (JP), her previous skipper, sold her to me last month, then sailed her across the Tasman sea to deliver her to me in Sydney.
JP has been a great contributor in this group, and has a wealth of knowledge, especially drawing on his airline industry experience and recognising the importance of good systems with good redundancy in reserve.
Whenever I have shown someone Eleuthera and told them it is a 33 year old boat they have said that she is in great condition.  Thank you JP for making this so.

This first trip of some 600nm  for me and my new crew has been exciting and initially challenging, facing strong headwinds for some parts, weaving between gas rigs in Bass Strait, then ensuring the right timing of slackwater at Port Phillip heads. I was curious as to why there were no other boats sailing in an otherwise busy Port Phillip as we sailed the last leg. Maybe something to do with the swell and wind.

She is now tethered in a berth, but hopefully not for long.

Ken Uber

Eleuthera SM 007

Phone  +61411096804

Email     kenneth.uber@...

Melbourne, Australia

Mark McGovern

Ken,

Congratulations on a successful first voyage as Captain of Eleuthera. Here's to many more to come!

I am about to depart for the Bahamian island of Eleuthera in just a few days!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Michael Winand

Great news Ken, Bass Strait can be challenging,  we had our fastest 24hr trip leaving lakes entrance to Jarvis Bay to escape nsw lockdown of the Vic border.
Hope to see you cruising.
We are currently 43.26 south in Tasmania.
Michael, Elaine  Nebo sm251

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022, 10:16 am Mark McGovern, <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Ken,

Congratulations on a successful first voyage as Captain of Eleuthera. Here's to many more to come!

I am about to depart for the Bahamian island of Eleuthera in just a few days!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Black Point Exumas Bahamas

David Vogel

Congratulations Ken,

Having seen Eleuthera and met JP in Opua over recent months, I understand what you are saying. Welcome to the group.

Best,

David
SM#396

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Ken Uber <kenneth.uber@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 11 April 2022 at 11:19 am
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Group Moderators" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Eleuthera - New home port

[...]

Email mailto:sv.abayomi@...:enneth.uber@...
Melbourne, Australia

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Well done Ken. You have already discovered the Amel speciality. Off shore sailing, even in challenging conditions. They are an incredibly sea worthy and sea kindly boat.. Again and again we have done a  crossing in what to us seemed reasonable  conditions to have other boats come in after us with the crew saying OMG what a nightmare.
Kind regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 11/04/2022 11:19 Ken Uber <kenneth.uber@...> wrote:

[...]

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Welcome Ken
Nice to see another Amel based in Australia. We, unfortunately, missed meeting JP on Eleuthera during our recent circumnavigation but do know from everything we heard that you truly do have a very nicely kept and well upgraded Super Maramu there. Well done and happy cruising. The SM will take you anywhere in almost any weather and sea condition you will always feel in total control. Enjoy!
Colin
Brisbane - ex SM2K - SV Island Pearl II

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 6:27 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:
[...]

Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Way to go, Ken.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550