Emergency Navigation

Ralph Heilig

After a shutdown of my Furuno BB last year, I was thinking about an emergency Navigation backup.

- Easy to install
- Watertight
- with AIS
- no drilling in the cockpit for the mount

I now use iPAD, Andres Industries watertight case, RAM Mount, Navionics Boating APP and wireless AIS Stick with Antenna.

Fast and easy to use and mount in case it is needed.

Just for Info.

Ralph

Santa Isabella
A54, #144

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Ralph,

My preference is  OpenCPN but that won't run on an IPAD alone.

French friends with iPad use Weather4D.
Its not free but it works well and has all features including other languages. Just take a look at www.weather4d.com

Stefan Jeukendrup

sv Malaka Queen
SM2k #348 @Newry Northern Ireland

Op 1 jun. 2022 15:39 schreef Ralph Heilig <ralph.heilig@...>:

After a shutdown of my Furuno BB last year, I was thinking about an emergency Navigation backup.

- Easy to install
- Watertight
- with AIS
- no drilling in the cockpit for the mount

I now use iPAD, Andres Industries watertight case, RAM Mount, Navionics Boating APP and wireless AIS Stick with Antenna.

Fast and easy to use and mount in case it is needed.

Just for Info.

Ralph

Santa Isabella
A54, #144

Courtney Gorman

I use I Navix on my Ipad and iSailor on my I phone both are better that the Furuno charts and work easily.

After a shutdown of my Furuno BB last year, I was thinking about an emergency Navigation backup.

- Easy to install
- Watertight
- with AIS
- no drilling in the cockpit for the mount

I now use iPAD, Andres Industries watertight case, RAM Mount, Navionics Boating APP and wireless AIS Stick with Antenna.

Fast and easy to use and mount in case it is needed.

Just for Info.

Ralph

Santa Isabella
A54, #144

Bernd Spanner

How about paper charts. They will still „work“ after a lightning strike as well.
--
Bernd
SN 119

Paul Stascavage

For those who want to use Open CPN or another navigation package that is not available for IOS or Android tablets, you can install an app such as  Splashtop (there are plenty out there) on both the computer running the program as well as the tablet.  These apps allow the tablet to view and manage what is on the computer or laptop.  So, if you were running Open CPN on your laptop at the nav station, you could project the laptop screen onto the tablet at the helm station.  The navigation software can be manipulated from either the tablet or the computer. In the case of Splashtop, you can download the apps for free and you don't need to purchase a subscription unless you want to utilize the functionality over the internet.  As long as both devices are on the same wifi network, they can communicate with each other without a subscription.  In the attached photo, the laptop is running Open CPN and the iPad is connecting remotely to the laptop using Splashtop.

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Brunswick Landing Marina - Brunswick, GA

www.RitaKathryn.com

PAOLO CUNEO

Paper chart are fine, I carry always a full set of them, and they should be mandatory, but, in an emergency, if soaked in water, they can be as useless as a soaked iPad.
Concerning the lightning strike, my strategy is based on the hope that the steel safe installed by Amel in the aft cabin can act as a Faraday Cage, and I keep an old cellphone with a resident full set of Navionics chart stowed there.
Otherwise, I myself have arranged a stand for the iPad on my Whisper ( photo) similar to Ralph’s which, originated as a backup, turned out to be so comfortable that my current practice is to keep the MFD (pictured the left) permanently on a full screen radar, and the iPad on the right as a full screen chart plotter.

Paolo
SM 454 Whisper

Inviato da iPad

--
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Stefan Schaufert

Hi Ralph,

I like your backup solution with the iPad.
I do it the same way but without AIS so far.
Thus the AIS stick (USB-C/ Lightning?) is very interesting for me.
Unfortunately I did not found anything online for a purchase.

Do you know a source?
What is the brand/ name of your AIS stick?

Thx a lot for your appreciated help and hints.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently on the way to Aruba

Mark Pitt

Hi Stefan,
My AIS backup is a very small receiver with Wi-Fi and GPS  that runs on 5 volt power.  A phone charger will power it. It is made my Quark Electric in the Uk.  They also have a usb dongle model.  I like the Wi-Fi version since I use an iPad with iNavX to navigate and it’s works perfectly with it.

Look for them here

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, Rhode Island, USA