Engine BETA vs Yanmar

Bernd Spanner

Hello,

In my SN a Volvo Penta MD22L-A is doing it’s duty but with some hickups which are quite costly from time to time.
Therfor I consider changing to either a BETA 60 or a Yanmar 4JH5E.
Reason for selecting the both is that they do not have a turbo or common rail since I will go to remote places and need a simple and reliable engine.
Your thoughts please!?
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cruising the Med

Whichever you choose, be sure to specify "Isolated Ground." Beta routinely offers Isolated Ground, Yanmar specs do not list this as an option, but maybe you can get it.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 9:58 AM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:
Hello,

In my SN a Volvo Penta MD22L-A is doing it’s duty but with some hickups which are quite costly from time to time.
Reason for selecting the both is that they do not have a turbo or common rail since I will go to remote places and need a simple and reliable engine.
Your thoughts please!?
--
Bernd

Eric Freedman

I believe Yanmar makes a 4jh4e mechanical engine and not a common rail.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Bernd Spanner
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 10:59 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Engine BETA vs Yanmar

Hello,

Your thoughts please!?
--
Bernd

Craig Briggs

Hi Bernd,
I've got the original 1992 Amel supplied Perkins Prima M50 version of the Volvo M 22 on my SN 68. I believe both of those engines came off the same Perkins assembly line but with different colored paint (and some very minor parts differences). I've got 7500 hours on it and it is still running perfectly well.

I am curious as to what were your costly "hiccups" and how much did they cost?  On my engine I did have a bent push rod in 2004 and I totally rebuilt the engine in the cockpit myself for $1,800 (pistons, rings, bearings, valves, etc., etc). The next hiccup was a failed fresh water pump some years later that was about $300 (my wife and I pulled the engine out with halyards to get at the "front" end to change the pump). And we pulled the engine again a few years later to replace an 81¢ "freeze plug" that had corroded through. Then just this season the injection pump had a leaky gasket and, after lifting the engine into the cockpit again to remove the pump, I sent it out for a rebuild that cost $700 US. I did have the injectors refurbished too, for another $600.  That's about it for "quite costly" in 23 years (of course much more costly had we not done the work ourselves). 

So, how many hours do you have on your engine? Do you think it is at the end of its useful like and, if so, why is that?
Out of curiosity I priced out a new Beta 50 two months ago and it was over $20K UDS (without installation, which I figured I would do at $0). I did not give it even a second thought, given that my Perkins is purring along just fine and most likely will do many more years without a problem.

Cheers,
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Peter Varty

Good reasoning, tisint natural to put a computer on top of a hot vibrating diesel and not expect issues !

W. Peter Varty
1-561-543-1502

On May 31, 2022, at 11:38 PM, Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

I believe Yanmar makes a 4jh4e mechanical engine and not a common rail.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Bernd Spanner
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 10:59 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Engine BETA vs Yanmar

Hello,

Your thoughts please!?
--
Bernd

Matt Salatino

I’m a Yanmar fan, having repowered my previous boat with one, before commonrail and computer controls. If the new Yanmar is truly mechanical, I would go with it again, but if not, I would install a Beta.

Bernd Spanner

Craig, my sea water pump failed twice in 4 years with maybe 250;or less hours on it. A new pump is1200 Euros. So there must be  construction error on the engine. Otherwise it runs nicely. As an old engine (4.600 hrs) I consider a oil consumption of 0,5 L as acceptable. However the waterpump doesn’t make me happy. Luckily I realized the problem early this time to avoid more damage like last time
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Craig Briggs

Hi Berndt,
Let me guess that your water pump failure was the slot in the drive shaft where it engages the adaptor "tang" wearing down. If so, that's a common alignment issue. A new shaft is available at a fraction of the cost of a new pump and the rebuild is easy. I had two or three of these "go" until I got the alignment perfect, now have about 1000 hours on it with just the slightest wear. There is a special alignment tool that Perkins had, but I have not been able to find it, so I've had to do it just 'by eye". 
Out of curiosity, what period of time is your oil consumption of 0.5L? That's about what I burn in an all-day (8 hour-ish) run, which is more than I'd like, but tolerable.
--

JOHN HAYES

Me too!

I managed to hire a plastic alignment tool from the Perkins (Volvo) agent then made a copy in stainless steel

Eventually replacing the Perkins with a D250 Volvo which has no turbo and has the same external dimensions as the Perkins but upgraded things like there are no add on items like the water pump which is now chain drive.  The only item I had to change was an increase in the diameter of the water outlet to meet the Volvo requirements for a 5 year guarantee 
I’ve been very happy with the new engine, now done 1400 hours; which is really an improved version of the Perkins 

John hayes
Nga Waka 
Wellington 

On 2/06/2022, at 4:08 AM, Craig Briggs <sangaris68@...> wrote:

Hi Berndt,
Let me guess that your water pump failure was the slot in the drive shaft where it engages the adaptor "tang" wearing down. If so, that's a common alignment issue. A new shaft is available at a fraction of the cost of a new pump and the rebuild is easy. I had two or three of these "go" until I got the alignment perfect, now have about 1000 hours on it with just the slightest wear. There is a special alignment tool that Perkins had, but I have not been able to find it, so I've had to do it just 'by eye". 
Out of curiosity, what period of time is your oil consumption of 0.5L? That's about what I burn in an all-day (8 hour-ish) run, which is more than I'd like, but tolerable.
--

Bernd Spanner

Craig, it’s 0,5 L n 24 hours
And thanks for the tip with the shaft
--
Bernd
SN 119

Eric Freedman

I Do not think you can buy the 4jh4 series in the USA.

I don’t know about the rest of the world.

The new 4jh4 has 16 valves and hums like a fine sewing machine.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Matt Salatino via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2022 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Engine BETA vs Yanmar

I’m a Yanmar fan, having repowered my previous boat with one, before commonrail and computer controls. If the new Yanmar is truly mechanical, I would go with it again, but if not, I would install a Beta.