Topics

Engine oil alternatives

Bryce Procter

Morning all,

I am having difficulty sourcing the recommended engine oil for the Yanmar 43H3HTE Turbo in Malaysia. Can anyone recommend a high quality alternative.

Regards

Bryce
SM 2K #467

Craig Briggs

Hi Bryce,
I googled the manual for your engine and see that it calls for API Rating CD and 15W40 SAE Viscosity. That's actually an obsolete rating which may explain why you can't find it. Ratings are "backwards compatible" so any newer rating is fine. Current diesel engine ratings include CH, Ci and CJ. Stick with any brand name and you'll be fine. With Malaysia temperatures, you'd also be fine with just 30 weight oil, if the 15W40 isn't available.
Smooth motoring to you,
Craig -- SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Matt Salatino

Believe it or not, many brands of oil originate from the same refinery. Economies of scale require large quantities of a particular grade of oil to be run at one time. Many retailers send their oil containers to the same refinery when that refinery is running a particular type of oil. So pick a brand you like, but pay attention to the API standard. It must be marked on the container.
I believe the latest for diesel engines is either Cj or Ck. Here is a good reference:

On Oct 9, 2020, at 11:03 PM, Bryce Procter via groups.io <Balibryce@...> wrote:

Morning all,

I am having difficulty sourcing the recommended engine oil for the Yanmar 43H3HTE Turbo in Malaysia. Can anyone recommend a high quality alternative.

Regards

Bryce
SM 2K #467

Philippe Belloir

API classification of oils.

Designation of oils for commercial vehicles with diesel engines. The classes in use at the moment for vehicles of different years are CH, CI, CJ and CK. The number 4 following the class designation signifies 4-stroke engine vehicles. Let's look at grade C oils in detail:

 CH-4. Introduced in 1998. Suitable for engines that use high quality gasoline with sulfur content up to 0.5% by weight.

 CI-4. Introduced in 2002. This type of engine oil provides reliable protection of the engine and exhaust system against soot deposits, and prevents premature wear of its components. Some lubricating materials of this class are designated CI-4 PLUS.

 CJ-4. They have excellent high temperature stability, resist oxidation and have a long service life.

 CK. Developed for the protection of engines manufactured in 2017. However, engine oils of this type can optionally be used on older engine models.

Philippe Belloir
+33 781 709 791