Topics

Engine room hatch repair

Alan Grayson

Hi All, the mild steel that supports the gas struts in my engine room hatch has gotten water into it and is rusting away and expanding causing a bulge in the engine room hatch in 2 spots.
Has anyone done this repair?
I am planning on cutting the whole strengthener area ( which I've been told is end grain balsa) digging all the old balsa out as well as the mild steel backing then replacing it with something, maybe 3/8 plywood then fiberglassing the removed panel back together.
For the mild steel plate I was just going to strengthen that area with fiberglass and thru bolt thru the hatch.
Does anyone have better ideas?
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
St Lucia

Steve Bell s/y Dusk SM378

Hi Alan.
             We have just finished having this same problem repaired .
we cut out the rotten portion and fitted G10 plates  after re fibreglassing and strenghtening the rotten portion send me your email and i can send to pics.
regards

steve

Alan Grayson

That would be great thanks Steve.
bazgrayson@...

             We have just finished having this same problem repaired .
we cut out the rotten portion and fitted G10 plates  after re fibreglassing and strenghtening the rotten portion send me your email and i can send to pics.
regards

steve

Paul Guenette

Hi Steve,

Would you please send me a set of your project photos too.

Thank you.

Paul on Aramis, SM 444, in San Francisco Bay, California

paulguenette@...

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Alan.

I had same problem when I was at Krabi Marina_Thailand. I was luky because inside marina there was a workshop perfect for the job.

Any way you found some photos from my archive.

I remember (2015) that it was important to remove the door and to well clean rusty side.

Than a new fiberglass layer to support the steel plate  as in photos

On the upper side (cockpit) one steel plate with 2 through screws to tighten the inside plate.

All this in synthesis the system,  but you can adapt it with better technical precautions.

The work is still perfect , no water inside, and it seems good looking.

Buon Vento

Giovanni Testa

sv EUTIKIA  SM2K 428

GREEK_PREVEZA ( We at home Venezia )

Il 23/04/2020 14:31, Alan Grayson ha scritto:
Hi All, the mild steel that supports the gas struts in my engine room hatch has gotten water into it and is rusting away and expanding causing a bulge in the engine room hatch in 2 spots.
Has anyone done this repair?
I am planning on cutting the whole strengthener area ( which I've been told is end grain balsa) digging all the old balsa out as well as the mild steel backing then replacing it with something, maybe 3/8 plywood then fiberglassing the removed panel back together.
For the mild steel plate I was just going to strengthen that area with fiberglass and thru bolt thru the hatch.
Does anyone have better ideas?
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
St Lucia

Paul Stascavage

Steve

Could you send me a set of those repair photos as well?

Paul dot Stascavage at icloud dot com

Thanks

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising Bahamas

Charles Bell

Hello Steve,

Can you please send a set of the repair pictures to shipbldr2000@... ?

Thank you!

Charles

Steve Bell s/y Dusk SM378

Hi All ,
         As I have had a few requests for the pictures and info I will try to upload a file over the weekend for all to see.
Best Regards
Steve Bell
s/y Dusk
sm#378

Alan Grayson

Hi Steve, All those screws removed, were they just holding the sound insulation in place?
When I get a lot of water on the cockpit floor I get a squishy sound when I walk on it. I'm guessing that all the wood is water logged but if there are that many screws I imagine water would leak out of at least a couple of them and that is not the case. Maybe I can just get away with what you did.
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406