Ensign (Flag sizing)

Richie Whyte

Evening to you all from a cold, wet and windy west of Ireland.

We reflagged our SM2K on paper last year and now we want to put our actual flag on her. Amel provided a wooden flag pole to display the ensign but not being at the boat I can’t get the measurements of the current flag to order a replacement.

Does anyone know off the top of their head the dimensions of the ensign suitable for the pole.

Many thanks

Richie

Why Knot
SM2K#261
on the hard in Leros, Greece

It could be any size. Different owners=different sizes.

The rule established long ago by the British is 1 inch of length for each foot of LOA. Of course this is appropriate.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022, 11:27 Richie Whyte <richiewhyte@...> wrote:

Evening to you all from a cold, wet and windy west of Ireland.

We reflagged our SM2K on paper last year and now we want to put our actual flag on her. Amel provided a wooden flag pole to display the ensign but not being at the boat I can’t get the measurements of the current flag to order a replacement.

Does anyone know off the top of their head the dimensions of the ensign suitable for the pole.

Many thanks

Richie

Why Knot
SM2K#261
on the hard in Leros, Greece

Ian Park

Bill is correct, but I have a yard and a half on my Santorin - 54” on a 46’ boat. It fits exactly on the Amel pole. Anything smaller is not quite proportional in my humble opinion. The practice of removing ensigns at sunset or 9.00 pm was established by Samuel Pepys as Secretary for the Royal Navy when he found out the annual cost of replacing worn out ones.

Bartłomiej Czarciński

Dear Richie,

Few days ago I install new flag on A54 Of my friend, and we buy for him 150x90 cm and it looks very good, as you can see on the photo.
Bartek Czarciński

Wysłane z iPhone'a

Wiadomość napisana przez Richie Whyte <richiewhyte@...> w dniu 13.01.2022, o godz. 18:27:

Evening to you all from a cold, wet and windy west of Ireland.

We reflagged our SM2K on paper last year and now we want to put our actual flag on her. Amel provided a wooden flag pole to display the ensign but not being at the boat I can’t get the measurements of the current flag to order a replacement.

Does anyone know off the top of their head the dimensions of the ensign suitable for the pole.

Many thanks

Richie

Why Knot
SM2K#261
on the hard in Leros, Greece

Richie Whyte

Thank you Bill, Ian & Bartek, you were most helpful.

Kind regards

Richie

Why Knot
SM2K#261