Topics

eRe: sm 53 vs 54

Gary Wells

My wife and I were faced with a fairly similar decision when we were weighing the money vs. size vs. age vs. condition of a Maramu and a Mango and a Super Maramu.

Between the three there was over $100k difference in pricing so we just studied and studied and visited and made estimates of refit and operating costs and it seemed to never get any simpler.

Finally we decided on the super Maramu and I can truly say I think we made the right call.  Each if the boats had it's merits and detractors but after our first year in the SM it became apparent that we did the best ~for us~.

I totally agree with all the posters who say that it's be hard to give up this boat for another, regardless up up/down scale and comparative factors because we are so heavily invested in having learned, tweaked, adjusted and discovered all the ups and downs of the boat we have.

My only comparison has been to sit and share time 54 owners.  Of course it's natural to compare notes and that's pretty much the end of objectivity right there. One 54 owner Bates the flush-top deck lockers lockers because they leak. Mine are raised and don't leak .. but the reason they went to flush is because you can trip on them.
I love out handhold-to-handhold movement below deck. On another (older) SM my wife nearly took a fall on the companionway reaching for an expected handhold that hadn't been invented yet on that boat.
The 54's hard top is a great advantage .. unless you like flipping the canvas down for the air.
And yes, I'd love the extra speed, extra foresail, different stateroom layout and newer gadgetry on a 54, but I'm also really happy with what I am familiar with; and from what I  hear, a smidge less.comexity and easier access to some mechanicals on the SM.

It's just got to come down to your evaluation of wants and needs.  I've done a fair amount of single handing on a Super Maramu and it's easy enough. The 54 I conceptually the same so I can't see how it's be any different.  Crew accommodation is excellent on both, maybe the 54 has an edge with more hatches when it's miserably calm somewhere, but then .. more chances for leaky gaskets.  You see what I'm driving at :)
Hope you have a great "hunt" and eventually find the "one" that fits best.

Gary W

SM 209, Adagio
Deltaville, VA USA

james Hosford

Thanks again everyone for their reply’s

On Jul 5, 2020, at 7:34 PM, Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Trevor Lusty

Hi James,
                You original question has to be on of the very best for a long time, just look at the quality of responses.
Over the past week I have continually thought if I were in your position, what would I really do?
Despite that I totally hate all Volvo engines, they still work and have a global back up. I don't like the  locker seat height in the cockpit of the 54, so I would buy a cushion. The centre line aft bunk, well I can sleep forward when it's bumpy or noisy ( I always slept on the passageway floor to the aft cabin on my SM when on passage) . The defective main mast on the early models, I would ensure the factory repair had been carried out. The bloody table stopping the engine room door from lifting, there are several ways around that- or I'd just live with it. After all, the less I would have to look at that Volvo the better.
So after 30,000 miles sailing the SM and around 12,000 single handed would I buy the 54?

1. The double anchors. 2. The broader  beam aft, giving more positive buoyancy meaning you really can carry proper davits and solar panels with worrying about dragging your stern. 3. No more temptation of setting those
downwind double poles when sailing alone. 4. Having sailed in company for 5/6000 miles with two other SMs and three 54s, the 54 is definitely a little faster but not much. 5. Despite my comments about less stowage, there is far more than you will need. If you look back you will find many posts about live abroad cruisers having to repaint the boot line on a SM because they carried too much junk .6.The bow thruster on the 54 appears to be a lot less hassle, I don't know this for sure. 7. The forward facing nav station and the generous layout for mounting instruments.
8. The washing machine and dryer in the fore peak, mess and smell out of the way.9. It's a more modern design and is so much brighter for living aboard full time. 10. Maybe the most important part of your question, ROC when it comes time to cash out, I would have thought that your 54 being younger etc. might stand up better and gibe more Return On Capital.
All I can say is, I wish I were in your shoes and had that problem.
Chantier Amel respect del la mer, there is nothing better.
Good luck & fair winds.
Trevor Lusty
Ireland